Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cuppacoffee

Thread: Loud whine whilst using machine

Loud whine whilst using machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ive just bought a Bezzera Domus Galatea machine. Its beautiful. However, I have had an issue with noise. Specifically, a whining noise.

After ive packed the portafilter, and turn on the machine to start extracting the coffee, the pump can clearly be heard initially. Once that point when the brown base coffee stops and crema starts coming out, the machine has made a very noticeable high-pitched whine. Not quite a whistle, but offputting nonetheless.

Is my machine faulty, or is it something ive done wrong?

Re: Loud whine whilst using machine

Hi

Id also be interested in what others say here. Mine does the same thing and I presume its the pump trying to cope with a grind that is a little too fine. When it happens for me I just back off the grind a bit.

KK has a Galatea and prob can tell us what he does when it whines. The site sponsors who sell these machines may be able to tell us if this would shorten the pumps life.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mlaich link=1217904925/0#0 date=1217904925
    Ive just bought a Bezzera Domus Galatea machine. Its beautiful. However, I have had an issue with noise. Specifically, a whining noise.

After ive packed the portafilter, and turn on the machine to start extracting the coffee, the pump can clearly be heard initially. Once that point when the brown base coffee stops and crema starts coming out, the machine has made a very noticeable high-pitched whine. Not quite a whistle, but offputting nonetheless.

Is my machine faulty, or is it something ive done wrong?
    Hi mlaich and Mike
    Can I start by asking if the machine is set at 9 bar or 12 bar
    A 9 bar setting can cause a little more noise (and that is normal)

One point I can make is do not overfill the PF basket
    Ideally the top of the coffee puck should be aprox 8mm from the top of the basket
    Overfilling the basket causes pump stress due to wet coffee expanding into the filter

In addition as Mike has said to fine a grind and firm tamp can also be stressful to the pump

KK

TC

Quote Originally Posted by speleomike link=1217904925/0#1 date=1217906014
    Hi

Id also be interested in what others say here. Mine does the same thing and I presume its the pump trying to cope with a grind that is a little too fine. When it happens for me I just back off the grind a bit.

KK has a Galatea and prob can tell us what he does when it whines. The site sponsors who sell these machines may be able to tell us if this would shorten the pumps life.

Mike
    This seems to be a common observation with the Galatea. I suspect its the spring in the OPV setting up some sort of harmonic. I know that Bezzera typically ship the Galatea with the OPV set to around 11 bar. To get at it to reset to 9 bar is a really fiddly gob requiring 3 hands and disassembly of the locktite glued valve as well. This job is normally accompanied by copious profanity! ::).

I know that if I attempt to recalibrate to 9.0 bar the chances of a squealer seem to be greatly multiplied...

Hope that helps....

Chris

Not sure how to tell whether its at 9 or 12 bar. The guage on the front has a normal operating position of between 1 and 1.5 bar

TC

Quote Originally Posted by mlaich link=1217904925/0#4 date=1217910138
    Not sure how to tell whether its at 9 or 12 bar. The guage on the front has a normal operating position of between 1 and 1.5 bar
    A portafilter pressure gauge is required to test this....

Ok. So is there anything I can do in the meantime, short of me keeping smaller doses in the portafilter, or taking the machine back to my place of purchase for assessment?

Much appreciated.

Yeah i have always thought that was the over pressure valve on mine (confirmed by looking at the over pressure return pipe when it is making that noise).

For me i see it as more of a good thing than a bad one. I can normally tell how well my extraction is going by that noise - none of it and i typically get a underextracted gusher and if it whines too much i typically find it overextracted too. I have found that my best extractions have been when it whines just right :)

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyd link=1217904925/0#7 date=1217918004
    For me i see it as more of a good thing than a bad one. I can normally tell how well my extraction is going by that noise - none of it and i typically get a underextracted gusher and if it whines too much i typically find it overextracted too. I have found that my best extractions have been when it whines just right *:)
    ;D Why not? As long as its not hurting the machine right? ;D

I may as well add my bit as a recent purchaser of the Galatea and I had the same conversation with Chris at TC about whether or not to adjust the OPV down to 9 bar.

I decided not to and havent experienced the noise at all apart from when I was first dialling in the grinder and badly overextracted a shot. Supposedly the brew pressure can effect taste but I havent noticed anything significant with the factory setting, in fact pulling some good shots that taste great!

;)

TC

Maybe its just the kids begging for hot chocolate ;)

My Minores opv failed last year and the newer heavier duty one that Expobar supplied has the whine too. Expobars suggestion was to adjust the opv up until the noise went away, which for mine was 13+ bar. I decided to leave it around the 9 bar and I hardly notice it anymore.
    As anthonyd said you can tell how your extractions are going by the type of whine so it is useful.

Gavin

Hi all

I didnt know whether the OPV was set at 9 or 11 or 12 for my Galatea for I asked DiBartoli who forwarded my query to the Bezzera importer. They got back to me with this:

> Thanks for interesting query
    > To make perfect espresso we need pressure about 10 Bar, to prevent
    > overpressure most coffee machines incorporates overpressure valve.
    > In Domus OVP is activated to open around 11Bar-12Bar to prevent
    > over extracting coffee with to high pressure.
    > Overpressure valve is very robust so they should nor fail even in 10
    > years.
    >
    > The squealing noise is indicating grind slightly to fine or to hard
    > tampering.
    >
    > Readjusting pressure to 9Bar will make thinks much worse as OVP
    > will be activated each time you make coffee.

So now I know what setting my Galatea is set at and if we get squealing we know to just back off the grind a bit.
    Thanks to Jack at Berrera and Renzo at DiBartoli for the above.

Mike

Great advice that....

The best way to approach the dialling in for the ideal grind setting is always to start off a little coarse and then gradually adjust down until youre getting the quality pours youre looking for. Starting off too fine and working your way coarser will always have your machine working up against the OPV in a Vibe Pump machine (none of this applies to Rotary Pump machines) and risking the likelihood of over-extraction. Much easier to come from the other direction and stop the shot when Blonding starts, and then keep doing this until youre close to the 25-30 seconds for 30/60ml (Single/Double).

While youre doing this, its also educational to taste the shots produced right up until you reach the "ideal". Quite amazing the difference made to the shot when the grind setting is producing 30/60ml in 22-23 seconds before the onset of Blonding. The resulting shots are very smooth and creamy, less bitter and very more-ish... 8-)

Mal.

Some excellent advice here. Thanks.

- As I see and according to speleomike bezzera advice post, its not necesary to adjust the OPV to 9bar? (to make superb shots I mean)

- When most galatea users said that galatea is noisy, they refers to that "whining noise"? Or without that whining noise, Galatea remains noisy compared with other machines?

The noise issue is very important for me... I do not want to annoy my friends everytime I make for them some coffees.

Quote Originally Posted by oton link=1217904925/0#15 date=1226659055
    - As I see and according to speleomike bezzera advice post, its not necesary to adjust the OPV to 9bar? (to make superb shots I mean)

- When most galatea users said that galatea is noisy, they refers to that "whining noise"? Or without that whining noise, Galatea remains noisy compared with other machines?

The noise issue is very important for me... I do not want to annoy my friends everytime I make for them some coffees.
    Hola Oton

If you donít adjust the OPV on the Galatea you get normal noise

That said it is normal for any espresso machine fitted with a vibe pump to have some noise
    It is the vibe pump makes 90% of the noise

If you have a rotary pump model (plumbed in) the noise is reduced by over half or more

Back up on speleomikes post reply #12
    That explanation was written by Jack the service technician at Barazi the Bezzera importer to Australia
    So he knows what he is talking about

KK

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1217904925/0#16 date=1226663189
    Hola Oton

If you donít adjust the OPV on the Galatea you get normal noise

That said it is normal for any espresso machine fitted with a vibe pump to have some noise
    It is the vibe pump makes 90% of the noise

If you have a rotary pump model (plumbed in) the noise is reduced by over half or more

Back up on speleomikes post reply #12
    That explanation was written by Jack the service technician at Barazi the Bezzera importer to Australia
    So he knows what he is talking about

KK
    A DG at 12 bar pushes through the end of the shot and you get a 12 bar espresso. At 9 bar, it doesnt and you get a 9 bar espresso. Both are good, but Ill take the squealer thanks. Its better...

As I understand, 12 bar was used so that the return from the opv to the drip tray would be minimised. Now that the return is back to the tank, there is no reason (other than the OPV design) that the more optimum 9 bar cant occur.

Its not a deal breaker but Id personally put up with a little opv squeal....

2mcm

This is very good reading
    All about OPV
    It is a fantastic read

http://coffeetime.wdfiles.com/local--files/opv-over-pressure-valve/OPV_Valve.pdf

KK

Im thinking of adjusting my Galatea OPV this weekend. Although Jack at Barazi has told me the OPV does not need to be changed from factory settings. Oh well, I can always change it back! The loud noise shouldnt bother me. Anyone got any tips on adjusting the OPV for this machine?

Quote Originally Posted by markfroble link=1217904925/0#19 date=1226730717
    Anyone got any tips on adjusting the OPV for this machine?
    Yes, I have a few.

1. Take Jacks advice
    2. If you need to ask for tips on how to adjust it, you should go back to point 1
    3. If its under warranty, youll void it
    4. If you insist on doing it despite the above, start by unplugging the machine
    level3ninja likes this.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by markfroble link=1217904925/0#19 date=1226730717
    Im thinking of adjusting my Galatea OPV this weekend. *Although Jack at Barazi has told me the OPV does not need to be changed from factory settings. *Oh well, I can always change it back! *The loud noise shouldnt bother me. *Anyone got any tips on adjusting the OPV for this machine?
    Yes Mark,

If it needs to be done at all, at the very minimum youd need a portafilter pressure gauge to do it...

As previously mentioned, being a three-handed, rubber man with child size hands would also be a massive bonus.

Without the right gear for the job, best to leave it alone....

Keep in mind that as Dennis mentioned, you may well void your warranty as well.

Chris

Well Im not interested in voiding the warranty. Think Ill leave it alone for a while. Ive been happy with the results at standard settings so far. Thanks for your help.

Glad to hear that Mark, and hope you didnt find my comments impolite. I should have prefaced my remarks by suggesting that if youre producing reasonable shots now, and theres nothing actually wrong with the machine, then tinkering with your grind and technique are far more likely to make a greater contribution to achieving coffee nirvana.

Cheers!