Thread: Help -Channelling

Help -Channelling

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I am having real problems with channelling. *I get the blonding too quickly. *I have tried everything: changing the grind, the tamp pressure, *even tamping with my thumb around the inside edge of the basket to break up any balls of grinds. *Adding more grinds to the edge, tamping with a convex tamper, a flat tamper and various combinations.
    Under filling and over filling the basket
    I am only extracting about 15mls of a double shot but he blonding starts to come into this. *It may be the grinder is not grinding evenly. *I have done the Rocky modification.
    I am using fresh epic beans - the best I can get locally.
    If you can help let me know.

a bitter dumiya!! :(

Re: Help -Channelling

WDT

Doesnt take too long, and definetly worth the results. If you get a naked PF it will help evaluate different methods.

David

Two things come to mind dumiya

1) Correct level of coffee tamp in relation to Group Head filter screen
    On my Bezzera the level from the top of the basket to the tamped coffee grinds is 8mm (thatís quite low) but gives a gap of 0.5 mm clearance to the filter screen *

I suspect you are overdosing and breaking the puck

2) Incorrect grind fineness but with the Rocky you should not have problems to get the right grind
    As a starting point grind to a consistency of salt and adjust to suit

KK

hey dumiya,

Whats your usual dosing technique?

Try and keep things constant and not change things around too much and then go from there. There is hope! :) Especially with the gear you have to work with.

YeeZa

another +1 for WDT, I use a pin kinda thing. I had chronic channeling problems up until i started doing this.

I may be particularly dense but I do know what WDT stands for.
    I await the revelation with baited breath.
    dumiya

Quote Originally Posted by dumiya link=1218798905/0#5 date=1218949964
    I may be particularly dense but I do know what WDT stands for.
    I await the revelation with baited breath.
    dumiya
    WDT (Weiss Distribution Technique) is basically a distro technique where you use a small stick to break up the clumps from your grinder.

Anyways for a in depth walkthrough see *http://www.home-barista.com/weiss-di...technique.html (Home Barista)

Martial

Martial

Thank you. *I have printed the reference and watched the videos. *My extraction is really not to bad but this will improve it.

Dumiya

FWIW I dont do exactly as that guide says, with the cup and everything. I grind till the PF is basically full, go nuts with my little pin thing (actually the back of a spare innoculation loop - if i dont know what im talking about it doesnt matter :) ), then wipe across the top with something flat to level, tap on bench to settle, then tamp and go.

Conveniently this seems to be the perfect dose size for my VBM domobar super (using factory double basket).

If anything gets me anymore its the tap on the bench, sometimes ill do it in an angle by accident and cause the grinds to go to one side, I can feel its unlevel when I tamp, and it results in a poor extraction every time without fail.

Can i clarify what is channeling? From my understand channeling means there are holes or little channel appears on the edge of the rim after brewing? If Im correct, I have the same problem too~~~

Tony

Yep.

Playing the devils advocate, a couple of questions for you all to ponder...............

Is it really THAT bad to find that hole at the edge of the rim of the filter after brewing?

Is the sight of this ruining your coffee experience because of all you have read about the dreaded channelling? What might you have thought of the coffee if it had been made by someone else where you were not able to look at the puk after brewing and before tasting?

Who says that *blonding is occuring "prematurely"? Just because a particular flow from a particular brew is blonding at a particular stage, could it not be a particular characteristic of that particular blend?

My advice is to get your brew technique sorted to the best of your ability, be as consistent as possible in your technique (which may be subject to change with use of different cpoffee beans), then enjoy the experience.

This is not meant to be unhelpful in any way, its just the espression of a legitimate sentiment for the forum to consider.

Regardz,
    Attilio. *

b

Agree that its more to do with taste in the cup than seconds and volumes.

But the thing that improved my pour stamina more than anything was a bit of downwards biffo with the group handle on the first fill. Prior to that Id just done sideways taps as it filled. I then refill to a mound, downwards tap again, level off then tamp.

Improved performance from 20 seconds to about 30, with guaranteed warm dripping honey pours.

After rinsing and before filling, I also wipe dry the basket. No idea if this makes much difference mind.