Thread: Superseded Giotto Premium- discussion thread

Site Sponsor

Superseded Giotto Premium- discussion thread

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Everyone,

We have 2 of the newly superseded giottos for sale - one is new and one is an ex-demo. *We are making way for the new Premium Plus model!! *Please go to our CS Members only page for full details:

www.jetblackespresso.com.au/cs-specials

Deb

Re: Superseded Giottos for sale

What is the password to access the CS page?

you have to register right? I think thats what I did

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by michel_c link=1219198705/0#1 date=1219201604
    What is the password to access the CS page?
    You just register - you need to put a username, password and email. It helps keep our specials for CS members only

Ooohhh... I like the idea of a CS special area on the JetBlack Espresso website.

Nice work!
    :)

Hi - should I now be disappointed in owning (and loving) my ECM Giotto Premium ?
    What are the improvements (could they make any) that might tempt me to go for the new model ?

Site Sponsor

Hi Cremalicious,

There is no need to be disappointed - the Giotto Premium is a great machine!! In terms of improvements with the Giotto Premium Plus - The the main one is they have added a fully commercial pressure stat. Other changes are:
    - new steam and hot water handle design
    - A low water level in the reservoir is indicated by the flashing of the power lamp before the pump is disabled should the water become critically low
    - New and redesigned feet. 125mm of surface contact to ensure stability and also now sits at 30mm high
    - Drain tray lines now follow the contours of the machines - adding elegance - also now slide out to eliminate water spillage when emptying
    - Enhanced temperature control - they increased the diameter of both the inlet and outlet group pipes which increases water circulation and aids thermal retention within the group head. Also fitted a restrictor into the group inlet tube which adds control and stability to the group water temperature
    - New cup tray surround - increased thickness to 5.5mm and is now firmly secured in four fixing points.

So as you can see they have made some changes but the main one is the pressure stat.

How long have you had your premium?

Deb

Hi Cremalicious,

I struggle to believe that any of those changes are really worthwhile paying for. The single biggest problem with the Giotto, IMHO, is the ridiculously small drip tray, which, as far as I can tell, is still a problem.

The term commercial pressurestat is a bit misleading. La Marzoccos use a tiny little CEME pressurestat for the steam boiler, as you would find in many domestic machines. A commercial pressurestat might last a bit longer, but the tradeoff is often a bigger deadband and a louder clack.

I have to say that I struggle to conceive how a larger diameter thermosyphon will really help anything in the new machine. As Deb said, the thermosyphon is fitted with a restrictor ... so you are paying more money for a larger diameter pipe that then has its flow restricted to a smaller diameter. In any case, I struggle to believe that a tiny brass or teflon restrictor and a slightly larger diameter pipe installed at the factory justify more than a $10 increase.

I am yet to see an answer online about how the hot water wand and steam wand are new and I would be interested to find out. I always thought that the giotto steam and hot water wands were pretty good, so until someone explains how they are new, I might even go so far as to suspect that new might be worse!

The other improvements are cute, but nothing that Id pay serious bucks for. Especially when there are so many competing machines on the market. The german ECM machines are also advertised on the super-premium angle.

If you have an ECM giotto premium and you have not already had restrictors fitted to it, you might like to contact someone who knows how to do it and get that done (although such people are probably hard to find; contact ECA or talk coffee). On other HX machines that I have used, having the right restrictor makes a fair difference in how much hissing and steam you get when you first flush the machine. The real cost in doing this is labour, seeing as restrictors only cost a few bucks.

Hope that helps,

Luca

Site Sponsor

Re: Superseded Giotto Premium- discussion thread

Hi Cremalicious,

If youre happy with the performance of your Giotto, leave it as is - I used it to cater for upto 30 people at family functions and it was fine. The biggest change will be better steam performance so if you really want a restrictor fitted we can do the mod. PM us.

charlie

Re: Superseded Giotto Premium- discussion thread

Ive been pretty happy with my Giotto Premium but the biggest bugbear is the drip tray - I cant for the life of my figure out why they didnt improve it. Im emptying it more often than I was emptying my Botticellis tray. Chris did warn be about it and I chose convenience of refilling versus drip tray in choosing the GP over the VBM.