Thread: La Cinbali Junior - 3 cups a day.....

La Cinbali Junior - 3 cups a day.....

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So....im new here...hi to all !......
    Been reading heaps on these pages, and trying to help myself as much as possible with an upcoming decision...
    Im more than ready to upgrade from my current Sunbeam Wet-steam Wonder espresso machine, and was almost ready to pull the trigger on a new Rancilio Silvia, when along came a La Cinbali Junior S1 at a very actractive price..... Still around double the price of the Silvia, and in very good condition, ....but im wondering if its way overkill for my needs, when im mainly doing milk based coffees, and only around 3 or 4 per day, except when the friends rock up, which makes it around maybe 8 - 10 for the day....
    The Cinbali looks like a beautiful machine, and im told it will outlast me, and i do love quality pieces of machinery.....but im kinda thinking the Silvia would fulfill my needs at around half the price..
    Any thoughts.....?
    Cheers for your help/guidance,
    Rod

Re: La Cinbali Junior - 3 cups a day.....

For starters what milk drinks (ie. caps/ latte etc.) and in a heavy situation how many at once?

I mention this because with the silvia I find it is difficult to do more then 2 caps or 1 cap and a latte at once. More then this and it takes quite a while to pump them out.

OTOH getting a machine of this caliber (+ fresh coffee and grinder of course) will ensure you have friends dropping by more often. :D

My second crack

Hi Rod

I have a 2nd hand Faema equivalent of the Junior S1

I only make 2-3 coffees a day. And I think it rocks. Its in a different league to the Rancillio. Once you learn its cooling flush technique, its really easy and consistent to use. *Steaming milk is very fast and takes a bit of getting used to but it is fantastic to use. If you enjoy making coffee then you will love it.

On the other hand it is much bigger than the Silvia and it tkes up lots of bench space and height. Have you got the space?

Regards
    Robert

Hey, thanks for the info guys....
    Robert - that was my other concern - bench space - while we do have ample room, im not sure the wife really understands that it will basically become a permanant appliance once set up.... I had a laugh...
    Plus the grinder standing beside it - starting to push things a bit im thinking.
    How long is the warm up time of these semi commercial units - i have heard up to 1hr before you can make ur shot... I really only have around half that time before work of a morning, and I am kinda used to my Sunbeam ready to brew in around 5 minutes... maybe ill just have to get up earlier..!!

Cheers,
    Rod

Pop the machine on an electronic timer & youll never have to worry about warm up times again. The Silvia still benefits from at least a 1/2 hour warmup, so the timer lets you set & forget. Our machine turns itself on before we wake in the morning, and off after Im out the door to work. It even knows to leave itself on all day on weekends ;)

For the La Cimbali/Faema

Ive heard various times to warm up. Recommended is significantly over 1 hr but I find it ok at 1 hr. Ive also heard at least 40 mins. You can speed it up by running "warming flushes" through the group once the boiler is hot. *

I use a timer and set it 1 hr before I get up... no problems

Re the bench space... I think it looks great in my kitchen... but then Im biased :) *I just had to measure the height to make sure that it fit under my overhead cupboards

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by rroodd link=1219390611/0#3 date=1219457520
    How long is the warm up time of these semi commercial units - i have heard up to 1hr before you can make ur shot... I really only have around half that time before work of a morning, and I am kinda used to my Sunbeam ready to brew in around 5 minutes... maybe ill just have to get up earlier..!!

Cheers,
    Rod
    Rod,

A La Cimbali Jnr is really a single group commercial machine..... and yes, warm up time Id recommend an hour..... They are designed to be left on most of the time.... and are well built so this doesnt cause a reliability problem..... but it does provide excellent thermal stability.

There is a lot more metal (and water!!) to get up to temperature and to stabilise at that temperature compared to a small domestic..... but that results in superb thermal stability..... which very few domestics can even come close to.......

Horses for courses....