Thread: New Diadema dual-purpose boiler machine

TC

New Diadema dual-purpose boiler machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    This new machine is now available...

Youre shopping for a Piccolo or Zaffiro but want something a bit nicer...

Enter, the Diadema Perfetta.

It has a 750ml boiler, 3L tank, gorgeous build quality- all 304 stainless steel, great drip tray and is available through Cosmorex Coffee or ourselves...

Ours will be on the bench later this week. Pricing TBA, but we estimate somewhere in Zaffiro territory: circa $1650.

More information as it becomes available...

Chris

Re: New Diadema dual-purpose boiler machine

So this is the one attempting to steal the single boiler crown.

Ive got to say Im more than happy with my recently acquired Piccolo and it will have to remain that way. So Ill have to pretend that this new machine isnt better ::)

Cant see it in the photo but it has a cool touch ball jointed steam arm.

I have been very pleased with the one I unpacked out of the container on Friday and put straight up on the test bench.

Quality of design and build is exemplary.

Regardz,
    Attilio
    first / original CS site sponsor

Hmm, I wonder whether that ccol-touch arm would fit my Levetta?

Cheers

I was thinking the exact same thing. What are you using at the moment for antiscald protection PM?

Someone mentioned they stuck a bit of silicon plastic tubing on their Levetta steam arm (was that you?). I also saw a rubber sleeve for the Silvia steam arm on Coffee Parts but no idea if it would fit the Levetta.

I had a laugh - I use a quick flick with the finger and then the rim of the jug!

Edit: actually I have some lurid purple silicon tubing in the garage that I use as high temp fuel line for my model planes, I should try some of that. (you can get it from hobby shops)

Cheers

Hmmm.. that is a nice looking machine, i had just about decided between a piccolo and a zaffiro, i guess i should have a look at this one. Will there be a Sydney based supplier?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by maso link=1222130513/0#6 date=1222315056
    Hmmm.. that is a nice looking machine, i had just about decided between a piccolo and a zaffiro, i guess i should have a look at this one. Will there be a Sydney based supplier?
    Hi Maso,

Well be supplying into Sydney and have service facilities in Sydney as well....

Chris

Thats a better price point that the Bezzera BZ07
    And unlike the Bezzera it has a E61 Group Head

Looks a nice Machine

I assume Cosmorex has insisted on Australian specs for AU conditions as they do for the Diadema

KK

TC

Pricing info is in....$1650 rrp for full stainless construction...Not too bad for a machine which presents so well...

Site Sponsor

Hi Maso,

Well have our Perfetta on our demo bench in the next couple of days so drop by and you can see it in action.

charlie

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1222130513/0#8 date=1222317428
    Thats a better price point that the Bezzera BZ07
    And unlike the Bezzera it has a E61 Group Head

KK
    Unlike the BZ07, that is a Heat Exchange Machine, the Diademe Perffeta is a Single Boiler *machine, you would expect that to be better priced than any quality Heat Exchanger. Additionally, The BZ07, and very few people know that, has an additional heating element and temp cutter in its group head, as a booster. Itll shorten heat time from cool start in half, so coming to the right temp *will only take few minutes, instead of the average 20 min, now try doing that with the Zaffiro or the Perffeta... happy to arrange a demo session for you for the BZ07 at the importers premises (close to you I presume?) so you can test drive it yourself....

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee link=1222130513/0#0 date=1222130513
    This new machine is now available...

Pricing TBA, but we estimate somewhere in Zaffiro territory: circa $1650.
    Zaffiros RRP (as per the importers latest advise) is: $1,525.00 and with members discount, price is well below $1,450.00

happy to arrange a demo session for you for the BZ07 at the importers premises (close to you I presume?) so you can test drive it yourself....
    Thanks Renzo
    I have seen the BZ 07 in the flesh at Barazi
    But as I own the Beautiful Domus Galatea
    I think I will keep it ;)

KK

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee link=1222130513/0#9 date=1222328903
    Pricing info is in....$1650 rrp for full stainless construction...Not too bad for a machine which presents so well...There will be small CS discounts
    Im bringing the discussion back on thread with an update and can I also suggest that discussion of other machines might be best in their own thread *:-?

I have had the machine on the bench today and it performs really well. For mine, it has the best build in this class and the versatility of the ball joint wands and steam tip porting will make for a more difficult decision for those shopping for an stainless dual-purpose boiler machine. Milk texture peformance is Giotto easy. My advice is to look at all the players and make a decision from there...If its bang for buck- Domobar Vashetta (aka levetta/piccolo) but the perfetta wins on build and performance- albeit at a RRP of $250 more than the Vashetta.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is some serious hardware at circa 19kg and its also very close to the size of the Junior Plus....

Chris

I guess comparison with other machines is inevitable, with the Vashetta/Piccolo perhaps the benchmark for this type of machine. Its good that the extra $250 gets you more than just all stainless steel panels. What are the warm up times to brew and steam temp like?

As Philmac and I were wondering, would the steam arm fit a Piccolo?

I wonder whether other of the bigger players will enter the sub-$[s]1600[/s]1700 single dual-purpose boiler with E61 group head: Ascaso, Bezzera, Rancilio, Expobar. Sounds like theres a good target market for those wanting to make the step up into higher-end espresso machines but dont have the budget (or need) for a HX/dual boiler.

Steve

TC

Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus link=1222130513/0#14 date=1222458120

As Philmac and I were wondering, would the steam arm fit a Piccolo?

Steve
    No sorry Steve, it wont...Ball joint wands have a different anatomy and the attaching nut is quite a bit larger.

regards

Chris

Thanks Chris :(

Its a real beauty! *:) However, I think its going to cause some in the market for a new machine some grief and restless nights deciding what to do as pricing appears to sit somewhere in the middle between the single boiler/e61 and the entry level HX machines. *:-? Perhaps Im wrong about the HX but I seem to remember coming across at least one in my travels that was $1900ish. With the Levetta it was an easier decision to make because it was a fairly significant jump in price to the next category. I guess it also comes down to what is required....

PS. Mr. Moderator, Ive waffled on quite a bit lately, when do I get my second blue star and my status changed? ;D

Quote from Andy
    Yep, those are part of the forum and are related to the number of posts

OlSmokey - 500
    Roastalot - 250
    RegularRoaster - 100
    Roastsabit - 50
    GreenBean

Every couple of years we have shuffled the names around. We could be due again seeing that not everyone roasts so feel free to post up some ideas.
    PS. Mr. Moderator, Ive waffled on quite a bit lately, when do I get my second blue star and my status changed?
    Buschy
    See Andys quote for the star answer?

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1222130513/0#15 date=1222466412
    No sorry Steve, it wont...Ball joint wands have a different anatomy and the attaching nut is quite a bit larger.

regards

Chris
    Nothing a suitable adaptor couldnt fix?

Cheers

TC

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMac link=1222130513/0#19 date=1222483528
    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1222130513/0#15 date=1222466412

regards

Chris

Cheers
    Agreed Phil....it could be possible with the right skills.

Having played with all of the majors in this class, I do think that the Perfetta offers the best build and feature set- albeit at a street price about $100 above that of the discounted Zaffiro. Its another e-61 powerhouse and brilliantly executed.

I guess that the issue is that at current prices, another few hundred dollars gets you an outstanding HX Makin...so the decision is that much tougher. As per usual, only CSers can make the ultimate decision with their funds.

Chris

I wouldnt think so guys... Probably have to replace the entire Steam Valve Assembly as well to do it properly and that would start to run into some money :( Dont want it to look like a hacked job :o

Mal.

No, nuff said Mal. It was just a thought. If it was an easy conversion I would perhaps consider it but it would also depend on the part being available as a spare anyway.

Steve

Steve,
    I dont understand why you would need a ball joint wand. With the way that the wand on the "Levette" is jointed I can steam in just about any cup or jug. I had to make a longer wand for my Quaha to steam in bigger jugs and then I had to put the whole machine up on a FAT board to fit them under it. I LOVE the joint in this wand, it gives so much more movement than a ball joint.

What I would prefer is if the switches on the VBM were not under the steam wand. I mean there is nothing except the power switch on the right hand side and nothing hot to burn your self on.

Thomas

It wasnt just the ball joint but the cool touch part that intrigued me Thomas. I agree that the steam wand is good enough and perhapsbetter than steam arms on some other machines but I caont agree that it gives more movement than a ball joint. The Piccolo steam wand only moves in one plane; a ball-jointed one can be moved in many directions and, for one, might allow it be angled in to the drip tray better. At present, I have to put a cloth in front of the steam tip when purging/priming

ah yes and dont forget.......or should I also preface with "in my opinion"......(and specifically with regard to the references to price on the previous page).

Just because machines compete in the same market sector doesnt mean they have to be the same price. An individual client may well be happy to pay the extra 100 or even 200 dollars to buy one model over another, expecially if they have to look at and live with the result of their purchase in their kitchen long term and they can see "value" in paying the extra for their individual requirement. Geez that was long winded!

Regardz,
    Attilio.
    first / original CS site sponsor.

TC

I have had a really good play with this machine this morning and its hugely impressive!

Things I like:
    [*]Great drip tray- well built and weighty[*]Internal build- very robust and intelligent- all wiring neatly tied, shrouded switches and great layout[*]2 group handles[*]2 hole ball-jointed wand with great porting- easy swirls and great silky microfoam. The wait between modes is not too bad ;)[*]All stainless steel chassis[*]There is an inspection plate underneath- This makes for easy OPV adjustment as well as element replacement which becomes a 15 min job. In a Silvia- new boiler or find someone to tap a new element. In a Piccolo, the element can be replaced- but the machine needs to be disassembled. In this one, you remove the inspection plate, undo 2 connections and use a big socket or shifting spanner. One element replacement would cover the pricing gap to some other machines in the class.

This for me paints a compelling argument and the Perfetta has just become our new travel/loan machine.

Shot quality is fantastic after a small cooling flush.

My advice is if the $$$ are available and you are shopping for this style of machine, make sure you look at a Perfetta before you purchase. I believe that BFC/Diadema have delivered us a class leader and I am very pleasantly surprised.

I plan to give it a once over with my Scace soon....

Chris