Thread: New Machine - Advice!!

New Machine - Advice!!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Everyone,

Ive been lurking for a while and learning from your many posts and really need some advice now. I have been enduring the coffee out of our Krups Nespresso machine for the last 3 years and we finally have decided to get a real coffee machine. I have been unable to have a short black for 3 years due to horriible bitter coffee that can only be consumed as a latte - I need my short blacks!! I have 3 kids under 5!!.

We are willing to spend the money to get a better machine and grinder and my husband has spoken to Chris at Talk Coffee about his machines. Out of the machines he sells we would be looking at the Vibiemme Domobar Super Lever and after looking at the website Im loving the look of the Diadema Unico Splendor. The VBM is a month waiting and now we have made our decision we dont want to wait....should I wait??? - would the Unico be as good or any other ideas? Looks do matter too!! Thanks so much!!

Re: New Machine - Advice!!

Looks is a matter of opinion but IMO the Unico is a better looking machine. It also comes down to trying the machines out and seeing which feels better. I havent tried either but it goes without saying that either will be a huge improvement over the Krups.

If youve been lurking for a while then you should know that the grinder is probably the most important factor. You can make a better shot with an good grinder + average machine than the other way around. If youve got the budget to get prosumer grinder AND espresso machine then the only other recommendation is to book yourselves into a home barista course

We also bought a machine from Chris at Coffee Talk (Giotto with a Macap M4D). Chris is a great guy and will give you honest opinions and advice. If you really want a particular machine waiting a few weeks will be worth it in the long run as it should give you years of use and enjoyment. Good luck and post some pix when you get it

Welcome coffeegal
    Nothing wrong with the Unico Splendor

I have read somewhere that Attilio from CosmoreX has incorporated some special factory tweaks to suit Australian conditions

Welcome to HX territory
    However get a good grinder from the start

KK

Nice looking machine

Yep - lives up to its name: Splendor.

Nice!!!

Welcome "coffeegal".... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

In terms of quality in design, engineering and materials the Unico Splendor is right up there with the best of the best and also happens to be manufactured by the same company who make the Diadema range of machines, also extremely good machines.

At this level, it really does come down to more subjective issues like ergonomics, appearance, feel, etc..... All very personal. Id go with what your heart says "coffeegal"... :D

Mal.

Thanks so much for your help!! The Unico looks so good I dont think I can resist!! Were building a new house at the moment with a baroque feel and a black gloss kictchen and I cant stop dreaming about it sitting on the kitchen bench top!! I was worried about it not being as good performance wise but seems not to be the case : )

We have budgeted to spend around $700 on a grinder as well - any recommendations in that department would be appreciated too!! Once again - thanks so much for your help. So much appreciated. My husband is going to call Chris at talk coffee on monday to chat to him about the machine. Would talk coffee make the adjustments you were talking about that needed to be done for the Australian market?

Hi coffeegal,

By your description I think that Unico is going to look like the kitchen was purpose-built around it!

Im sure Chris would look after any adjustments as a matter of course - hes a fusspot (in a good way).

TC

Hi Coffeegal,

Every machine we sell goes onto our bench and nothing leaves until Im satisfied that its running as well as it can.

The splendor is a great machine. We have a couple of Domobar Supers (as you had mentioned) in black as well. They look terrific with a black Mazzer. Any reason why the Giotto was eliminated?

With the good machines at this level, it often comes down to nuances and whats right for you. My job- to help you decide...I am looking forward to a further chat.

Regards

Chris

The main reason we were leaning towards the VBM Super Lever was from reading through posts - we couldnt see anything that pointed to the Giotto being any better yet it was an extra $300. We thought the ext $$$ could go into a better grinder as most people seem to recommend. We are completely open to suggestions though and am in no way set in stone. My knowledge of coffee machines only extends to reading through this forum so any help is VERY appreciated!!

In complete honesty the only reason I stopped to look sideways at the Unico was the looks - if performance would be in any way inferior I would TRY to look past appearances!! My husband would insist : )

Chis - My husband Matts going to call you on Monday and make a time for us to come and see you anyway and look at the machines!! Im so excited - cant wait!! I have honestly been dreaming about a new coffee machine!!

Quote Originally Posted by coffeegal link=1222427287/0#10 date=1222584694
    *snip*
    Im so excited - cant wait!! *I have honestly been dreaming about a new coffee machine!! *
    And Im sorry to tell you that therapy will NOT help.
    Welcome to the club!

Greg

Glad to say I have one of the Diadema Unico Splendor machines and it looks fantastic - and most importantly - makes excellent coffees! *You will be very happy with your choice.