Thread: Giotto Plumb In Kit

Giotto Plumb In Kit

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have a Giotto Premium.
    Looking to purchase a direct plumb in kit.
    Can anybody advise on best options ?
    Thanks

Re: Giotto Plumb In Kit

contact one of the sponsors
    <<<

Good call Sammus!

Vertullo, if you want to send a pricing/availability query to all the site sponsors at one time you can email the below address:

(its an image to slow the nasty spammers down a little)

The plumb-in kit is not all that common but Im sure someone will have one for you.

Thanks for the responses

Prior to posting I went through all the site sponsors and could not find a kit. I Googled the topic and found no Australian providers. I phoned one site sponsor (I have bought other items from them ) who was helpful but did not stock a kit. They were going to ring around for me.

I was also looking for info on direct vs indirect float option and Pro/ Cons for Giotto (I understand conflict exists if vibe pump can handle plumbed in option etc.
    What I really need is someone who has done it successfully to respond with best options.

Thanks

Vertullo,
    contact Espresso Company Australia - they are the importers of the Giotto , but you will probably find it is a special order item.

regards
    Dino

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Vertullo link=1222512476/0#0 date=1222512475
    I have a Giotto Premium.
    Looking to purchase a direct plumb in kit.
    Can anybody advise on best options ?
    Thanks
    Hi Vertullo.

Is it technically possible? Yes...Would I do it? Nope..

Although aftermarket plumb kits can be sourced, the Giotto is not designed to be plumbed, and I wont warrant a plumb-in conversion on a Giotto- nor any other machine not designed for a plumb connection. ECA does not produce or stock a conversion kit.

To plumb a machine properly, I think you really should be looking at a rotary pump conversion (if theres enough space). Even when you do that, the short legs of the GP and lack of facility to drain the drip tray make it a waste of time.

My advice would be rather than butcher a great machine, if it must be plumbed, sell it on to someone who will love it and buy a dedicated plumbed machine- something like a rotary pump Bezzera Domus Galatea or Rotary pump Minore II for example.

Chris

or a rotary pump la spaziale... ;)

The question has already been answered in a round about way above without actually giving reasons why.......and for the record several of us importers have had Water Connect Kits previously listed but have either never replaced them once they ran out of stock or, deleted them from stock on purpose.

Here for the benefit of all, is a reprint of a reply I recently emailed privately to someone asking the same question about one of our own machines (the Splendor).

It is not intended to offend any of the other sponsors or any importer............if you get offended about something I write below, I will apologise here in advance but please note I do speak with some considerable experience.

"........

here is a sweeping, but nevertheless true statement. ALL, and I mean ALL manufacturers of semi commercial machines rigged in the factory to run from their own internal water reservoir with vibrating pump set up AND with original style lever operated E61 group do not actually expect anyone to use the water connect kits that they sell you.............!

The mechanical group (as rigged in vibrating pump semi commercials with internal water tank) does not lend itself to the water connection in that you always end up in the end with water bypassing straight through from the mains connection, through the mechanical group exhaust valve, and into the drip tray. There is also increased bypass which with the water connect conversion, runs the bypass into the drip tray (You could simply leave it to bypass back into the water tank......but you would have to remember to occasionally empty it or the end effect is the same...overflow). With these two sources of "leakage" into the drip tray, and with the drip trays on almost all semi commercials not being able to be connected to a sump/drain easily, you fill the drip tray.....even when you are not there to see it happen.......overflow the kitchen etc....thus why I am always jumping (or used to) on discussions in the forum from people that say they leave their machines connected up all the time ie never turning the mains off to the machine and tell others to do so. There are a number of caveats to leaving the mains on all the time, but IT IS A DEFINITE NO NO FOR PEOPLE WITH THESE SMALL SEMI COMMERCIAL E61 LEVER MACHINES IF THEY HAVE HAD A WATER CONNECT CONVERSION.

This water creep that I am explaining above, doesnt always just creep...it can be quite a flow.

On the other hand, the water connection does fare much better with semi commercials that have the modern commercial derivative electric (solenoid) operated E61 group.

So: Yes you can rig up or buy water connect kits for these type machines. They convert the internals of the machine to accept a water connection - it has nothing to do with the actual mains connection external to the machine - BUT it will become problematic for you very quickly once you begin to see the bypass going into the drip tray all the time.....

.................."

Hence Chris mentioning he would not guarantee such a conversion etc.

I am sure someone in the group will want to pipe in and argue the point and give example of how they[ve done it....My point is it is not something that can be done ***successfully*** without it also turning into a redisgn of the original modus operandi of the machines...which might be ok if you are looking for a project and have some inkling of what you could do, but is otherwise purely from a traders point of view, a waste of time. *

If you want water connect, my honest advice is to buy a machine that is intended to be connected so.

Hope this has been helpful.

Regardz.,
    Attilio
    first / original CS site sponsor.

Thank you for your excellent reponse. It was very helpful.
    I am building a new house and the architect specd water and drainage for the coffee machine.
    Will decide wether to keep Giotto or buy different machine.

Regards

Youre welcome!

Regardz,
    Attilio