Thread: Steam Wands - all on left?

Steam Wands - all on left?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I am looking at the HX machines - and they all appear to have their steam wands on the left - is this the case or am I missing the point?

I have a bench space with a wall on the left - with my grinder up against the wall and the Silvia next to it - i.e. with the steam wand on the right - away from the grinder.

Assuming I upgrade to a HX - my concern is how to place the two (grinder + HX) - I assume it is best not to have the steaming next to the grinder. Is it OK to have the hx machine on the right / grinder left? I dont fancy frothing up against a wall *::)

Can the steam and hot water be easily swapped - I would have thought that would take some effort?? Or am I worrying about nothing.

Thanks,
    Col.

TC

Re: Steam Wands - all on left?

Quote Originally Posted by Col link=1222849958/0#0 date=1222849958
    Hi,

I am looking at the HX machines - and they all appear to have their steam wands on the left - is this the case or am I missing the point?

I have a bench space with a wall on the left - with my grinder up against the wall and the Silvia next to it - i.e. with the steam wand on the right - away from the grinder.

Assuming I upgrade to a HX - my concern is how to place the two (grinder + HX) - I assume it is best not to have the steaming next to the grinder. Is it OK to have the hx machine on the right / grinder left? I dont fancy frothing up against a wall *::)

Can the steam and hot water be easily swapped - I would have thought that would take some effort?? Or am I worrying about nothing.

Thanks,
    Col.
    Hi Col,

Two machines I am aware of with RHS steam wands are the Iberital Handy (LAnna) and the Wega mininova.

As for a side swap from left to right, not impossible but fiddly. You aould need some custom fabrication of copper or brass tubing with appropriate pressure fittings and suitable nuts...Unless you can do this yourself, read $$$

Hope that helps...

Chris

With my machines, it would be quite an easy job to switch steam and hot water, but I agree if you cant do this yourself I wouldnt bother as it would cost lots I imagine. Im guessing it would be a lot scarier to do this on a new machine rather than old ones also!

I have my grinder on the steam wand side of my machine. No issues at all. It never gets steamed or anything.

I have my grinder on the left.
    Have had no problem with it being near the steam wand.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1222849958/0#3 date=1222863930
    I have my grinder on the left.
    Have had no problem with it being near the steam wand.
    Exactly the same for me
    It is more a right or left handed issue
    I prefer it all on the left side for convenience and ease
    I think they call it the ergonomic flow on affect?

KK

Do these machines have long enough steam arms that they can extend over the front of the machine. If they do it wouldnt really matter what side the wand is on and IMO it is easier steaming at the front then the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Martial Monkey link=1222849958/0#5 date=1222907768
    Do these machines have long enough steam arms that they can extend over the front of the machine. If they do it wouldnt really matter what side the wand is on and IMO it is easier steaming at the front then the side.

The Bezzera has a long arm on a spring loaded ball swivel so its multi directional
    Yes I think that is an important point as MM has indicated

KK

At home (as opposed to the photo of the work set up I posted in your other related topic) I have the grinder on the left with the steam arm.

As others have said....no problem.

Cheers,
    A.

Cool - worrying about nothing. *8-)

Thanks for the replies,
    Cheers,
    Col.

Site Sponsor

Col,

I have check some of the coffee machines diagrams and I have put the top of of some of them, I will said you will be better if you get one from factory. Saying so the Bezzera 99 can be done. The problem is because usually this machines pick up the water from the botton of the boiler.

regards

Renzo

Hey everyone.

I know lots of people have already said this but I thought id input to. Iv only been a CSer for a few days and Im enjoying sharing inputting into conversations.

Col it seems you have exactly the same set up as me. Grinder against the wall and machine on the right. Im using an expobar which has a left hand side steam arm. I havent had any problems, but I do try to evacuate steam away from the grinder. My assumption is that to much moisture near the grinder would become problematic at some point.