Thread: Giotto not heating :-(

Giotto not heating :-(

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I think something in my giotto just died :(
    I heard the machine do a fill about an hour ago and just went to pull a shot... Pressure was at zero and the group head was cool.
    I opened it up everything looked in place etc. The pump runs so I can get water out of the group but it does sound a little bit different to normal.
    Any suggestions on how to figure out whats wrong with it? Its nearly 2 years old, on most of the time and does 8-10 shots a day.

Worst bit is I got a K10 last week and had just dialed in a new batch of coffee this morning.

TC

Re: Giotto not heating :-(

Quote Originally Posted by steve link=1223831332/0#0 date=1223831332
    I think something in my giotto just died :(
    I heard the machine do a fill about an hour ago and just went to pull a shot... Pressure was at zero and the group head was cool.
    I opened it up everything looked in place etc. The pump runs so I can get water out of the group but it does sound a little bit different to normal.
    Any suggestions on how to figure out whats wrong with it? Its nearly 2 years old, on most of the time and does 8-10 shots a day.

Worst bit is I got a K10 last week and had just dialed in a new batch of coffee this morning.
    Hi Steve,

Its typically:[*]Machine thinks it has no water. Partially remove and reinsert the tank (1/2 full) a couple of times. N/A to you as your pump is running..[*]Over temp cutout- try resetting the thermal switch[*]Dead element- which can be tested with a multimeter with the machine switched off and unplugged. You should read about 45 ohm across the element contacts. If you get infinite resistance, the element needs replacing[*]Element relay on controller board. Easy to replace but not cheap....

Hope that helps...

Chris

I dont have a multimeter at the moment but I have tried resetting the switch... No luck there.

When I turn it on I can hear a click on the right which I assume is the relay... sounds normal.

However I can hear a faint buzzing type sound when the machine is on, somewhere around the boiler. Could this be a dead element?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by steve link=1223831332/0#2 date=1223860123
    I dont have a multimeter at the moment but I have tried resetting the switch... No luck there.

When I turn it on I can hear a click on the right which I assume is the relay... sounds normal.

However I can hear a faint buzzing type sound when the machine is on, somewhere around the boiler. Could this be a dead element?
    You are welcome to bring it in Steve,

The diagnosis will be quick and easy...

rgds

Chris