Thread: VBM Super Vs Boema

VBM Super Vs Boema

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I know, I know, this sounds like the the strangest comparison in the world.

I have been looking at upgrading to the VBM Super and have tried a few in this price range on for size. Well I was at my regular lunch spot, a local take away, and asked if I could have a play with their machine. Single group head Boema 4yrs old. Long story short, it doesnít work and they offered to sell it me for $500. I have had it looked at and itís the element in the boiler. $159 to fix.

My question, forgetting about size, has anyone had any experience with these? Are they any
    good? Or do they just make overdrawn takaway shop swill?

Re: VBM Super Vs Boema

Dont know anything about Boema other than Ive seen a few for sale on fleabay and if it is only $160 to fix why dont they have it fixed?

[ch65279]He said theyre changing coffee suppliers and the new one is supplying them with a machine.

One of my customers has a single-group Boema around the same vintage, maybe a little older. Ive had a play on it and works ok, though runs a little hot, and Im not a fan of the dial system it uses in place of a volumetric pad. It works.

Beware though, just because Ive played on one that is OK, doesnt mean the one youve looked at is the same, or in the same condition. The person who looked at it for you should be able to give you an assessment of what needs to be done, its condition, and future prospects (read $ outlay).

If you decide on the Boema youll have a fairly chunky-looking commercial machine on a kitchen benchtop. If you go with the VBM, apart from the bling factor, youll have a semi-commercial machine that is built for the home, and a warranty to say the least.

Decisions, decisions! ;)

[ch65279]Call her shallow, but the bling factor is a big issue for my wife. Iím a bit more coffee
    focussed. However I would rather spend 2k and be happy with the performance than a few
    hundred and get only an average return on the investment. :-[

Hmmm.....

If bling on the kitchen bench is a significant factor with your S.O. then the Boema will probably seem very agricultural to her, which is fair enough. The Boema is not really intended for a home environment though there are several CSers who have one, or used to. Opinion is quite divided on the quality of coffee they produce though so you might want to try the coffees made on a similar unit with beans of your choice before making any irreversible decisions.

All that being said though, parts are easy to get and reasonably priced and I spose if the bling-o-meter reading is a bit low, that could be addressed by giving it a pretty snazzy resto job.... The cubic shape and size could be a problem though. As has been mentioned in several other threads recently, machines of this type are designed to service the commercial retail sector and as such, the entire design reflects this. If you expect that there will be occasions when you will need the capacity of such a machine to churn out a couple of hundred coffees, then this machine will be up to it. If not, then a smaller more dedicated home specd machine will be more suited. Even so, a decent prosumer machine will be able to manage small crowds from time to time if that option is a requirement.

Anyway mate, as always, the best thing you can do is to sample the output and operation of similar machines and then several good quality home HX/DB machines and make up your mind from there, you and your wife have to live with the decision.... ;)

Cheers, :)
    Mal.

Thanks Mal
    It is a bit of a [ch65279]behemoth, maybe that is what Boema is short for.

[ch65279]Iím thinking that I might buy it anyway and set it up in the garage and then get a bling machine for the kitchen. Hay if some guys can have a beer fridge and a pool table in the garage why canít I set my one up at a coffee lounge? The car never goes in there anyway. ;)

Donít forget
    It is most probably a plumbed in model? Will it cause problems?
    Also check the power rating 15 amp ??

I donít have an issue with its industrial looks (I like it)
    However for me a small footprint is more of an issue

I have 3 girls and all like to cook so space is needed
    When they get married and move out I can think about getting another machine
    But thatís a decision is for the future. ;)

KK

Yep its a plumbed in job, however the service guy says that these will happily pull out of a container. Ive given it to him to check over and make sure its not junk, hes getting back to me later today.

The size is no real probrlm for me, we have more than enough space in the kitchen, but it will probably end up in the garage -- just off the kitchen. ::)

Hi yes i have a Boema, in bilt tank, 1 grip head steam pipe and water pipe and its GRATE mine is 2 1/2 years old. bought for $300 and grinder for $100 was a good buy worth $4,500.00 new(i did ring boema to find out about it ). bought form a mate that has a pub the guy that had been servicing it for them told him it was stuffed ....I had a laugh i got it and tightend 2 nuts up on tank and have had no problems since well worth the money i have paid. I am looking to may be putting in a van and doing a cafe out from it?.......

sorry about spelling

:D [ch65279]Iíve pickup the Boema and its great, big but great. It cost a lot more than I was expecting to fix it up. $450. After he pulled it down he found a few more thing wrong. It used normal 10am power and although doesnt have an in built tank is happily pulls water out of a container that I have sitting unseen behind my grinder. It is so good to be able to make coffee for 8 people in just a few minutes rather than the marathon that the Gaggia classic took.

hi Rio-Negro
    thought you would like the Boema machine there grate.......i was judt wondering though where you are... i am country vic bendigo and want to get my machine serviced? am wondering who you got to service your machine?
    and does anyone know how to ajust the water pour on the automatic. I think it has somthing to do with the * button

Hi Ram, Im NSW Central Coast, so I dont think my guy will be of any use to you. I found him through a Catering Supply Company near me, they dont do any work in house. If you check the yellow pages and find your closest supplier of Boema they will be able to give you the details of their recomended repairer. They should be able to help with adjustments as well.

Best of luck. ;)

Reo.