Thread: cimbali jr leaking

cimbali jr leaking

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, my Cimbali Jr is leaking out of the part below when I do espresso shots, but doesnt leak when i just do water shots.

Does anyone know what part that is and what could be the problem? That machine in the pic isnt mine but its the same part.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/attachments/cimbali3.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Re: cimbali jr leaking

Does your machine have a vibratory or rotary pump? If its the part Im thinking of, that looks like the overpressure valve (OPV). I know that vibratory pump machines have an OPV in that location, but Im not sure what rotary machines use to regulate the pressure.

It is perfectly normal for the OPV to release water in to the drip tray when under pressure during a shot. This is how the machine regulates the brew pressure - excess water pressure is released in to the water tray.

This is the part (OPV) on my Faema (internally identical to Cimbali Jr). Looks a little different to the part in your photo though.

Yes it has a vibratory pump - thanks a lot for the explanation!

My last machine was a Silvia, and it didnt seem to ever leak water except at the end of a shot from the 3 way valve.

I was quite worried I was going to have to fork out more $$$.

Thanks again!

Yeah, Ive had a Silvia too. The Silvia has an OPV, but has some tubing connected to it to bypass it back to the water tank. Thats why there are 2 tubes going in to the water tank on the Silvia.

There is a modification that some people have done, and thats to connect some silicon tubing to the nipple on the OPV (the part with the hole shown in the photo above, that faces towards the front of the machine) and run it back to the water tank. Ive done this on my machine and it works well - less wastage of water and dont have to empty the drip tray as often.