Thread: Giotto help please

Giotto help please

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello fellow Snobs,
    I have a problem with my Giotto and I am looking for suggestions with a diagnosis.

This morning I turned the machine on to warm up for about 45 mins, no probs, no strange noises, etc.
    I prep the shot and pull a cooling flush, when the pump stops working and the pressure guage starts to drop. Its acting like when the tank isnt seated properly, so out with the tank and then re-seat, then pull a cooling flush, no problems.
    I lock in the PF, lift the lever, and nothing, no pump, and the pressure guage drops off again.
    I turned the machine off and do a 10 count, then back on again. Pull the shot and alls well again.
    I go through my cleaning routine of flush some water to clean the screen, no pump again. Turn off, 10 count, back on again, and it worked.
    I lock in the blind filter, lift the lever and nothing again. Off, 10 count, re-sealt tank, then back on and away she goes.
    Ive got the machine turned off now, cooling down in prep for me pulling it apart.
    Does this sound like an expensive problem, ie the brain box, or something more simple?
    Any and all help appreciated,
    Steve.

TC

Re: Giotto help please

Over filtered water Steve?

Give it a shot with some tap water and report back....

Alternately, pump solenoid?

Chris

Gday Chris and thanks for your speedy reply (as always),
    the water Im using is Nobles pureau, which Ive been using since I bought the machine. Im midway through a 10 litre cask of it now, and there hasnt been any problems with it until today. Does it sound like one of the water sensors, rather than the water?

Site Sponsor

Hi Lovely;

I will start by cleaning the bottom censer of your water tank. Sometimes when this censer is calcified or dirty does that . This is located at the botton of the tank.

Best regards

Renzo
    PS feel free to give a call.

As well as the above, cant hurt to slide the water sensor probe out Steve and give it a light rub with some wet and dry.

Of course, machine needs to be unplugged!

She lives to brew another day :).
    Thanks for the help and suggestions, it appears (as suggested) that it was the water sensing circuit at fault this time.
    I removed the small screw in sensor from the side of the round white water tank receptacle, I dont know the tech name for this part :-[.
    It was discoloured and somewhat darker than the original brass colour. A quick clean with a small wire brush had it shiny and new again.
    Next, the probe with the earth wire attached, inside the round white water receptacle. I removed it and it was slightly discoloured, though not as badly as the sensor. A quick hit with a green scourer and she was good as new.
    Putting it back together again was a pain, I know what Chris means when he says you have to be a 3 armed, midget, contortionist bodybuilder with douible jointed fingers.
    I stripped the threaded part of the water probe, so a couple of brass washers were needed to pad it out so that I could use another part of the thread. Back together it goes, and it seems as good as new again.
    A big thanks again to everyone that chipped in and offered help, it was very appreciated.

Site Sponsor

Do not worry, I will include you in my list of Australian service agents.

Regards

Renzo

Good news Steve!

:)

A quick update.
    I was using the beast today to make a shot and all was good :).
    I then did a water back-flush and the pump stopped mid way through >:(.
    Thinking back to Chris advice, I whipped out my TDS meter and measured the water in the tank and it was 1 PPM.
    I then added some tap water (about 300ml) to the tank and re-measured and found it to be about 8-9 PPM.
    I pulled a few more blank shots and did a chem back-flush, then a heap of water flushes with no problems.
    Hopefully this simple solution will see an end to the problem, otherwise, more diagnoses required.
    There were 2 valuable lessons I learned here:
    1. Listen to Chris, he knows things, and
    2. If in doubt, refer to lesson 1.
    My apologies Chris, for doubting your advice :-[.
    All the best,
    Steve.

TC

Aww shucks Steve...thanks for the feedback!

Having had my head inside a few hundred Giottos, there isnt much that the can do that I havent seen before...

Id suggest that bottled water is often too heavily filtered and I have seen this scenario kill control boards as well (I guess they work too hard tying to sense water)...

For all but known hard water areas such as Adelaide and bits of WA, a brita jug is more than ample....

Hope all runs smoothly from here onwards....

Chris