Thread: Giotto Premium Plus and Mazzer Mini - a winner!

Giotto Premium Plus and Mazzer Mini - a winner!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Folks,

I have now joined the GPP / MM fan club. * 8-)

After toiling away with the old Silvia / Rocky combo for a number of years (with hit and miss results), I jumped onto a GPP + MM with price rises looming!

I have had the combo for a week now and have had quite a ride. *It took some getting used to and my first bag of beans did not work out so well. With good advice I have settled into a routine that works OK.

I find the Giotto interesting, IMHO the Silvia was hit and miss per shot no matter what you do - the GPP lets you know if the grind is too course or your tamp is too hard - and if you make a change it will reward (or punish). You can actually dial in a grinder if you keep your tamp the same. Then you can learn how to tamp less / grind finer and improve on the result.

It took a while to get used to it - but for a few days now I can walk up and produce good shots without pouring stuff down the sink! Two doubles now equals two pucks - this machine will pay for its self *:D

As for milk - I didnt realize how good HX machines were at texturing *milk - wow! It all happens so fast! We typically drink espresso *- but I can see Macchiatos becoming a popular item at our house.

Big thanks to Dennis and Chris for answering questions and being responsive as I was contemplating the purchase. We took a trip out to Denniss roastery and he was very patient and understanding - we never felt rushed. Their post sales support is fantastic - with the help of Dennis I am sure my shots / consistency will improve further.

Thanks to the CSers who consistently answer questions and provide advice - much appreciated.
    Col.

Re: Giotto Premium Plus and Mazzer Mini - a winner

Congrats on the purchase Col and may your shots always be heavenly. I note you travelled a long way to buy it - from one corner of Sydney to the opposite one. Kudos to Den and Chris as well.

What made you settle on the Giotto?

Col, thankyou for your kind words.

With less than a weeks experience it certainly sounds like youre doing well with such a significant changeover in equipment. It really gives us a thrill to hear that!

I hope Im able to contribute further with any support required...just dont ask me how to pour a rosetta as Im still prone to creating the now fabled, "lumpy spud".

Cheers!
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by flynn_aus link=1225872305/0#1 date=1225874985
    Congrats on the purchase Col and may your shots always be heavenly. I note you travelled a long way to buy it - from one corner of Sydney to the opposite one. Kudos to Den and Chris as well.

What made you settle on the Giotto?
    How funny - from one corner to the other - we are not at the end of the world - but you can see it from our place!

What made us choose the Giotto = we like the look of it! It is that simple - We have always liked the look of the Giotto - just struggled to afford it.....

The GPP has made thermostabilty improvements over the previous models and that helped us finally buy one. *Lets face it - at this price - all the machines are similar - and we all need to figure out what we can live with. I am sure that if we chose another HX machine we would be happy.

We make two double espressos - and rarely do anything more - so having a machine we can walk up to and produce coffee without a lot of effott is paramount - I was looking for a machine that is consistent.

BTW - that was the challenge - the onus was on Dennis to show us that an espresso can be simply made without a dance - I figure I can learn the technique to get close from there.

I guess I am close - and that is with good advice, good consistent machine and a small amount of practice....

Cheers,
    Col.

Have to agree with you, Giotto and Mazzer mini is a match made in heaven.
    Have kept me very happy for the last 5 years

congratulations on the purchase and on picking a great retailer with brilliant after sales service

Quote Originally Posted by cuppacoffee link=1225872305/0#2 date=1225875723

[snip]...just dont ask me how to pour a rosetta as Im still prone to creating the now fabled, "lumpy spud".

Cheers!
    :)
    And - what exactly is a rosetta? Is that a flowery coffee?

Jeez - you were supposed to be my mentor - *;D

Just Kidding,
    Col.