Results 1 to 37 of 37

Thread: Brown bean starter pack impressions

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    323

    Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    4 days ago my bean bay starter pack arrived in the mail.

    Just like to share my observations. I dont have an educated palate, but I do know what I like the taste of.
    Your mileage may, and probably will vary.
    I dont drink straight espressos. Cant stand any kind of black coffee. Only drink lattes

    It contained Espresso wow, which was the first to be opened. Kinda dry and a bit characterless and leaves a feeling on my tongue like its coated in flour. I need to use half a teaspoon of sugar in the glass to make it drinkable.

    Next day I tried the Colombian volcan galeras. Dont like this one at all. Neither does my wife. Cant really describe the weird underlying flavour, but its a bit .. umm .. fruity chemically, and it smells strange.
    Anyway Im trying to blend this with one of the others to make it drinkable so it doesnt get wasted.

    Third day I opened the Sumatran mandeling select. Im a bit undecided about this one. Its ok.

    This morning I opened the PNG wahgi AA. We have a winner!! This is the best coffee Ive tasted for a while. It has great crema, beautiful aroma and tastes and feels sensational in my mouth.
    I could quite happily drink this coffee for the rest of my life! *:)

    Thanks Andy *:)

  2. #2
    Senior Member redzone121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,162

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Thats the good thing about a starter pack, we all have different tastes etc and you get to know quickly what you enjoy the most. That PNG Wahgi is a goodie alright.
    Enjoy

    Chris

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    323

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by redzone link=1220143317/0#1 date=1220143924
    ... we all have different tastes etc and you get to know quickly what you enjoy the most.
    Yes it would be a pretty boring old world if we all liked the same things. :)

    Im kinda hoping nobody "flames" me for not liking their favourite coffee. I only posted these as my observations.

    Maybe now that beans I tried in the first 3 days have had more of a chance to degas there may be some improvement

  4. #4
    Senior Member greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    3,162

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    It is amazing how the flavour of a bean changes as they age over a couple of weeks, they dont remain constant.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Port Fairy
    Posts
    2,993

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    No flames here ;)

    I have been using the one brand off coffee until recently so the Brown Bay mix has been an interesting Sampler.

    The first bag I opened was the Sulawesi Torajah which I really liked in a Latte and left a great lingering taste. Tried it in both my Syphon and Balance brewers and loved it. Tried it in one of my plungers and dont think much of it.

    Just opened bag 2 this morning Sumatra Mandheling first Latte was better than the Torajah I think but that could be due to the strip and clean on the grinder ::) I am learning :) I still have a few beans left from the Torajah so I will try a comparison of the two.

    Newbie point of view not all beans work well for all processes (well der I can hear most of you saying). Lots more playing needed from my point of view.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    323

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by greenman link=1220143317/0#3 date=1220145093
    It is amazing how the flavour of a bean changes as they age over a couple of weeks, they dont remain constant.
    Yeah I used to notice that with the beans I bought from the local coffee booteek. Id buy 250 - 500 grams at a time of their most popular seller and I could taste the change towards the bottom of the bag as they got more stale.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    323

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by beanflying link=1220143317/0#4 date=1220145463
    No flames here ;)
    Newbie point of view not all beans work well for all processes (well der I can hear most of you saying). Lots more playing needed from my point of view.
    Thats what makes the starter pack such a great idea. In one purchase Ive weeded out 3 varieties Ill never buy again without having to wade through large quantities of each. :)

  8. #8
    Senior Member speleomike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    942

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Hi gronk

    Also consider whether your extraction was correct for the ones that you didnt like. On a bad day it has taken me several times to get a grind and tamp right for an unfamiliar bean.

    Mike

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    323

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by speleomike link=1220143317/0#7 date=1220150563
    Hi gronk

    Also consider whether your extraction was correct for the ones that you didnt like. On a bad day it has taken me several times to get a grind and tamp right for an unfamiliar bean. *

    Mike
    30 ml in 20 - 30 seconds is ok, right? (Im using a 9 gram single basket)

  10. #10
    Senior Member speleomike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    942

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Hi

    Yes, that vol/time is OK but also look closely at when it blonds. YouTube has many pics of extractions which are very useful. Also I never got great results from my Silvia with a single basket as many ppl here will agree. I just used a double basket all the time.

    My wife drinks milk drinks and isnt overly keen on a straight espresso most times, but the Espresso Wow is usually loved by all in milk or as an espresso. The description "Kinda dry and a bit characterless and leaves a feeling on my tongue like its coated in flour. " doesnt sound like Espresso Wow.

    Its definately not characterless. Dry I can understand. A flour coating on the tongue sounds strange, ignoring taste the texture on the tongue should be smooth.

    But I cant really think of what might have gone wrong to advise more, but I really think you should keep an open mind on these initial ones that you dont like.

    Mike


  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    323

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by speleomike link=1220143317/0#9 date=1220155041
    Hi

    Yes, that vol/time is OK but also look closely at when it blonds. YouTube has many pics of extractions which are very useful. Also I never got great results from my Silvia with a single basket as many ppl here will agree. I just used a double basket all the time.
    I only had trouble with the single basket for the first few days. The one I have is not the standard one that comes with the silvia. I had to take it back to the shop coz my tamper didnt fit. They swapped if for a 9 gram one of a different brand.

    Ive watched more youtoob clips of espresso pours than Ive had hot dinners and I know exactly what to look for with the blonding. No problems there Mike *:)

    Quote Originally Posted by speleomike link=1220143317/0#9 date=1220155041
    My wife drinks milk drinks and isnt overly keen on a straight espresso most times, but the Espresso Wow is usually loved by all in milk or as an espresso. The description "Kinda dry and a bit characterless and leaves a feeling on my tongue like its coated in flour. " doesnt sound like Espresso Wow.

    Its definately not characterless. Dry I can understand. A flour coating on the tongue sounds strange, ignoring taste the texture on the tongue should be smooth.
    Im only posting the way it feels in MY mouth. Everyones taste buds are different.
    Its not too bad with half a teaspoon of sugar in the cup.
    I prefer not to use sugar, but I want to be able to finish the coffee Ive payed for rather than throw it out, so a bit of sweetener helps.

    Quote Originally Posted by speleomike link=1220143317/0#9 date=1220155041
    But I cant really think of what might have gone wrong to advise more, but I really think you should keep an open mind on these initial ones that you dont like.
    Mike
    I dont think anything has "gone wrong" Mike. Its simply that I dont enjoy those particular beans, unlike the PNG wahgi AA which I find to be Perfect

  12. #12
    Senior Member greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    3,162

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    I threw my Silvia single basket away soon after I started using her, a double basket produces a much better and consistent shot.

  13. #13
    Senior Member redzone121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,162

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by greenman link=1220143317/0#11 date=1220156436
    I threw my Silvia single basket away soon after I started using her, a double basket produces a much better and consistent shot.
    AMEN, but maybe if Id given it a fair go I may have had success. I threw it out based on what Id read before giving it a fair go. Then again thats what fellow Snobs are for, giving good advice and saving us some sink shots ;)

  14. #14
    Senior Member speleomike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    942

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Hi Gronk

    Ok good that at least the blonding and the shot time are prob OK.
    Yes everyones palate is different so perhaps you dont like Espresso Wow even with a perfect shot. Its just that this is unusual that two people would not like this in a milk drink. If it was a SO Kenyan or a Monsooned Malabar it would be quite understandable as they are quite distinct in their taste.

    Most important though is that one was good. My wife and I also like the PNG Wahgi lots :-)

    Mike
    Now I remember where I heard that name before :-)
    http://www.tvparty.com/recits.html

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    323

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by speleomike link=1220143317/0#13 date=1220162972

    My wife and I also like the PNG Wahgi lots :-)
    Ok so youll know how different the PNG is from the Wow. The PNG is as close to EXACTLY the taste I dig most from coffee, where the Wow is nearly all the way at the other end of the scale for me.

    Funny crema on the Wow too. I had another glass of it this sarvo and the crema was more oily and bubbly looking than the crema on the PNG, which is thick and dense.

    :)



  16. #16
    Senior Member Stan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Just North of Brisbane
    Posts
    945

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    I would try them all in a coup,e of days. I have found that some beans take a little longer after the roast to reach what I believe is their peak. Dont throw them away to soon. ;)

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    323

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Stan link=1220143317/0#15 date=1220166373
    I would try them all in a coup,e of days. *I have found that some beans take a little longer after the roast to reach what I believe is their peak. *Dont throw them away to soon. *;)
    Yeah Ill stick at it. Im not gunna throw any away.

    Might hafta invite a bunch of friends around to help finish em a bit quicker though :D

  18. #18
    Senior Member Stan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Just North of Brisbane
    Posts
    945

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Friends are always good for getting rid of beans you dont particularly like (unless they are fellow Snobs that is ::))

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    323

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Stan link=1220143317/0#17 date=1220171182
    Friends are always good for getting rid of beans you dont particularly like (unless they are fellow Snobs that is *::))
    Nup, dunno any snobs. Theyre all instant coffee drinkers, so anything I give em is gunna taste better than the bat piss they are used to ;D

  20. #20
    Senior Member Stan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Just North of Brisbane
    Posts
    945

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    You never know you may convert them to the dark side [smiley=evil.gif]

    Then they would be subject to upgraditis and attraction of new shiny objects. why should we be the only ones to suffer from this wallet affliction :(

  21. #21
    sdg
    sdg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    368

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by gronk62 link=1220143317/0#10 date=1220156370
    I only had trouble with the single basket for the first few days. The one I have is not the standard one that comes with the silvia. I had to take it back to the shop coz my tamper didnt fit. They swapped if for a 9 gram one of a different brand.
    A little OT, but Ive been thinking its time I found a decent single basket for my Silvia. Dont suppose you know what yours is, gronk?

  22. #22
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    17,102

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Hiya g62...

    Something else to keep in mind when sampling new beans/blends, is the temperature at which you brew them. This has a marked effect on the overall flavour profile of a brew so it would be worth your while to try experimenting with different brew temperatures; for the Wahgi too. Just try pulling the brew at different stages of the "Temp Surfing" cycle and make note of the changes you observe.

    Worth doing mate, :)
    Mal.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    323

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by simone link=1220143317/20#20 date=1220175151
    Quote Originally Posted by gronk62 link=1220143317/0#10 date=1220156370
    I only had trouble with the single basket for the first few days. The one I have is not the standard one that comes with the silvia. I had to take it back to the shop coz my tamper didnt fit. They swapped if for a 9 gram one of a different brand.
    A little OT, but Ive been thinking its time I found a decent single basket for my Silvia. Dont suppose you know what yours is, gronk?
    Sorry Simone, I dont know what brand it is coz theres nothing written or stamped on it. The original one was out of round (a bit egg shaped) and my tamper wouldnt go in. The nice lady at the shop went through her supply of single baskets and found a couple that my tamper fit in. I chose the deepest one which she said was 9 grams and is the perfect size for a 200 ml latte...well for my taste anyway *:)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal link=1220143317/20#21 date=1220175989
    Hiya g62...
    Just try pulling the brew at different stages of the "Temp Surfing" cycle and make note of the changes you observe.

    Worth doing mate, :)
    Mal.
    One step ahead of ya Mal. Its something I tried for each of the 3 varieties that I didnt like.
    I havent tried it with the PNG because Im more than happy with it already.

    Ill continue to experiment with them as I work my way through the bags *:)

  24. #24
    CoffeeSnobs Owner Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    17,014
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions


    Ironically the same roast batch of Espresso Wow has had really positive feedback and the some of same batch of Colombian Volcan was given to a commercial roaster last Wednesday and he phoned me on Friday to say "it blew me away, I love it".

    Which goes to prove what we try and tell everyone, try it yourself, only you have your taste buds!

    Enjoy!

    :)


  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    323

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeman link=1220143317/20#23 date=1220184582
    Which goes to prove what we try and tell everyone, try it yourself, only you have your taste buds!

    Enjoy!

    :)
    Thats exactly why the starter/sample pack is such a bloody good idea Andy.

    I was originally tempted to just get a kilo of either the Wow or the Sumatran Mandheling Select based on the short description of each. Im so glad I didnt!

    Bein able to directly compare 4 different beans at the same time is a real bonus.

    Thanks :)

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    323

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions. Update.

    Update.

    Musta needed quite few days to de-gas coz the 3 beans I didnt like are now ok.

    And the PNG has got even better

  27. #27
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    17,102

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Well mate,

    When you get beans from Andy, you KNOW they are freshly roasted ;D.... My youngest bloke bought me a bag of "Gold" a little while back and I tell ya, while it was sitting in the back of the cupboard waiting for me to finish the last roast I did at home, it(the bag) blew up like a balloon, wouldnt even stand on its base any more. Now, thats fresh... 8-) and a damn fine brew too,

    Mal.

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    323

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal link=1220143317/20#26 date=1220338102
    ...while it was sitting in the back of the cupboard waiting for me to finish the last roast I did at home, it(the bag) blew up like a balloon, wouldnt even stand on its base any more.
    ;D Thats what mine have been doin since I got em. One of em looked like it was gunna burst.
    Theyve slowed down now *:)

  29. #29
    CoffeeSnobs Owner Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    17,014
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions


    ...strange how stupidmarket coffee doesnt do that on their shelves. I wonder what the difference is?
    ;)


  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    323

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeman link=1220143317/20#28 date=1220340083
    ...strange how stupidmarket coffee doesnt do that on their shelves. *I wonder what the difference is?
    ;)
    Yuck! I havent bought that crap for a long time.
    Once I tried the fresh stuff from the local booteek I couldnt go back to the stupidmarket stuff.

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    255

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    A little OT sorry, but I pack mine within a couple minutes of roasting (as soon as its no longer warm to touch), and never get these balloons I hear about. Would it be that my bag seal is less than perfect? Or is there other factors that influence? Ive roasted 3 different beans so far and they all swell about the same, which is very slightly after the first day, and not noticeably after that.

    I dont think Im doing too much wrong, because Im enjoying my roast much better than what Ive got from any of my local roasters.

    Cheers

    S

  32. #32
    Senior Member speleomike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    942

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Hi

    I pack mine a few mins after roasting also into one way valve bags. After a day they are slightly bulged but they are never bloated. I usually squeeze them a bit on the first and second day so squeeze out any extra gas. The one way valve lets the gas out, but it will only work when there is enough pressure to push out the valve.

    So basically dont worry.
    Mike

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    255

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Oh Im not particularly worried, I just want some coffee ballons :P Even if I dont squeeze mine they dont get all that ballooned :-[

  34. #34
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    17,102

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    I wouldnt worry about it Sammus,

    Most likely (if you dont heat seal your bags) the zip-lock is allowing a small amount of gas to escape before the 1-Way Valve does its job. The bags I was referring to had been Impulse Sealed....

    Mal.

  35. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    255

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal link=1220143317/20#33 date=1220363780
    I wouldnt worry about it Sammus,
    Im not, honestly *;) Just curious.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mal link=1220143317/20#33 date=1220363780
    Most likely (if you dont heat seal your bags) the zip-lock is allowing a small amount of gas to escape before the 1-Way Valve does its job. The bags I was referring to had been Impulse Sealed....

    Mal.
    I had suspected this. Is ballooning coffee bags reason enough to fork out for an impulse sealer? ;D

  36. #36
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Yes.

  37. #37
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    17,102

    Re: Brown bean starter pack impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Sammus link=1220143317/20#34 date=1220364394
    Is ballooning coffee bags reason enough to fork out for an impulse sealer? ;D
    Might be worth a look at those plastic bag sealer things that someone else has found.... Aldi have them apparently and might do a decent job,

    Mal.



Similar Threads

  1. Green Bean Starter Pack...?
    By AtomicGrog in forum Blending Room
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 24th August 2012, 09:39 PM
  2. Starter pack ordered!
    By kabintylen in forum Home Roasting - Tips, Tricks, Ideas
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12th June 2009, 05:42 PM
  3. Starter Pack contents
    By Zappa_23 in forum Roasters
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 27th November 2006, 11:11 AM
  4. May Starter Pack Blends
    By Clare in forum Blending Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th June 2006, 08:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •