Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beans or Ground?

Hi all,

As a fairly novice coffee drinker I was wondering if I could call on some experience.

I am really reticent to purchase an expensive grinder for the amount of coffee that I actually make, which is only about four to six cups a week. For that reason I have been purchasing coffee beans but having it ground for me. A 250g bag then usually lasts me about 6 weeks.

So, my question is, is it better to use pre-ground coffee (ground with a good quality grinder) but then be using that for the next 6 weeks, or to switch to buying coffee beans and grind fresh, but with a cheap grinder (off the shelf maybe $100)?

I can tell that the coffee loses impact as it gets older (I drink it black) but would coffee ground with a cheap grinder be better than using old coffee?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Leedsboy2

Re: Beans or Ground?

Hi leedsboy and welcome to CS

A $20 coffee/spice grinder is probably as good as a $100 grinder. You could get a hand mill for around $50-$60 that will do a better job but painstakingly slow. Suggest you spend the $20, buy a bag of whole beans and give it a go. No great loss if you arent pleased with the results.

Comment

I think youve answered your own question. If you are happy to drink 6 week old coffee that even you admit isnt the best, then continue on with what you do. To enjoy better tasting coffee, get a good quality grinder.
      My advice is to put up with your pre-ground for a while longer and save up for a decent grinder although I noticed an improvement myself after having freshly ground coffee from a cheap grinder compared to pre-ground supermarket beans.

You didnt mention what you are using to make your coffee with

Comment

Gday Leedsboy and welcome to CS,
        another thing you might like to try is to get hold of some freshly roasted beans and then grind them using a mortar and pestle. It wont give you the precise grind size of a good grinder, but it will give you an indication of how much better your coffee can be using fresh as opposed to pre-ground.
        There is a rough rule of thumb that applies to coffee:
        3 weeks roasted,
        3 hours in a hopper (or other un-sealed container), and
        3 minutes after grinding.
        Good luck with it,
        Steve.

Comment

Leedsboy2
          I would also go with a hand mill grinder

You must remember that
          Roasted coffee beans (unground) will stay fresh for aprox 3-5 weeks
          Ground beans are best consumed within 3 minutes after grinding
          So if you want the best flavour every time you should get a grinder

However it is a waste of money getting a spinning blade grinder

KK

Comment

Thanks for all your advice guys. Its greatly appreciated.

Im a tea drinker really but have caught the coffee bug since moving to Melbourne a couple of years ago and it appears that I must change my ways!

Im quite blown away to hear that ground coffee is past its best after 3 mins and that is enough to convince me that some form of grinder is required. Ill take a look at what is available.

Cheers
            Leedsboy2

Comment

Working...
            X