Hot water spout on HX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water spout on HX

I never use the HW spout on the Hx machine but this morning I thought I would try an americano out of curiosity. I found it to be an odd taste. Although I use fresh water daily I shut the machine off in the morning and dont use it till the next day. Should I use the hot water spout more often to purge water from the boiler?

Re: Hot water spout on HX

I drain the tank/boiler via the hot water tap on average one time per month
    Thats about a 3 lt flush

KK

Comment

I dont specifically drain the waiter on my machine but we got rid of the kettle and use the hot water spout on the machine.
      Also when doing a clean and backflush i fill a bowl of hot water to put the caffetto in to put the portafilter etc in.

I have never noticed a different taste at all.

Comment

I also encourage my wife to use the hot water spout instead of the kettle.
        I make her a couple of long blacks on the weekends and currently with my being out of work I make her a few more during the week.
        She usually only has 1 per day.

I also put a dash of hot water into my milk jug for a final swirl and rinse after rinsing with cold.

No complaints so far with the taste of the boiler water.

Comment

Regular cycling through the Boiler is the best thing to do, as the posts above allude to. Rather than wait to do it once per week, or at some other time interval, much better to use it as the resource it is and forget about using the kettle....

Mal.

Comment

I forgot to say it above
            However TG & Bolb reminded me on there posts

I make my wifes tea almost every night using the Bez water tap
            She only drinks tea at night and cappuccinos during the day

KK

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1229189901/0#4 date=1229243172
              Regular cycling through the Boiler is the best thing to do, as the posts above allude to. Rather than wait to do it once per week, or at some other time interval, much better to use it as the resource it is and forget about using the kettle....

Mal.
              Makes sense.
              Isnt reboiling bad for taste (reduced oxygen)?

Comment

I think thundergod might have the answer. The water from the hot water spout tasted to me like it had been reboiled as in some of those office coffee makers that sit for hours without use. However, I dont notice the same kind of taste problem with my espresso???

Comment

Originally posted by Cervelo link=1229189901/0#7 date=1229312135
                  However, I dont notice the same kind of taste problem with my espresso???
                  of course not. That water comes from the HX, not the boiler. The water for the hot water spout comes from the boiler.

Comment

This is my first post on Coffee Snobs so I hope I dont put too many people off side first go. In regards to boiling water and oxygen if you can recall your first science experiment in high school (Thundergod you were there so you should remember!) Boiling water removes dissolved oxygen from water it is called Henrys Law. So to boil water you MUST remove oxygen! It is an old wives tale about oxygen and the taste of tea and coffee. The flavour of the water that was been sitting in a boiler or kettle comes from the container!

Comment

It is an old wives tale about oxygen and the taste of tea and coffee.
                      IMHO

not too my taste it isnt

reboiling water causes it to have a flatter / taste feeling in the mouth

more obvious when drinking black tea

graham

Comment

Originally posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1229189901/0#1 date=1229210364
                        I drain the tank/boiler via the hot water tap on average one time per month
                        Thats about a 3 lt flush

KK
                        I may be wrong but the boiler may be a 3lt boiler but it would only be a fraction of that which would be filled with water and the rest is headspace for steam, wont it? I think you can fill up the boiler but would have to disconnect some switch or other... (something to do with the level sensor).

Ive got a 1.5lt boiler and when I do the purge, I only get 300-400ml before nothing comes out of the hot water spout.

Comment

if you follow mals advise you wont have a problem
                          minimun 100 mls per day
                          the larger the boiler the more water needed to be drained off

graham

Comment

Thanks for everyones comments. Ive received great advice on this site.

Comment

I may be wrong but the boiler may be a 3lt boiler but it would only be a fraction of that which would be filled with water and the rest is headspace for steam, wont it? I think you can fill up the boiler but would have to disconnect some switch or other... (something to do with the level sensor).

Ive got a 1.5lt boiler and when I do the purge, I only get 300-400ml before nothing comes out of the hot water spout.
                              I am pretty sure that my machine has a 2 lt boiler But it auto fills itself even while being used/drained

It is part of my maitenence routine
                              1) Polish the bling stainless steel, 2) empty out the 4 lt water resevour through the hot water tap via the boiler, 3) remove the resevour tank and wash it inside and out , 4) refit inside machine & fill with fresh filtered water
                              5) it regularly coinsides with my chemical backflushing times

KK

Comment

Working...
                              X