Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strong bean recommendation

Hi there,

Im looking for a strong bean for plunger coffee.

I need a morning hit, some caffeine and a strong/rich body.

Would Colombian do the trick in a plunger?

Cheers,
    Andrew

Re: Strong bean recommendation

My guess is you will get everybody recommending what they like, my advice buy a range of beans try them and find out what you like. Mind you I dont plunger very often I find the taste a bit muddy, have tried syphon and it is far superior for getting the flavour of the beans into the cup.

Comment

No....Colombian A grade coffees are really only medium bodied.

If we are to take the question strictly as asked, then you will need to go for a nice big Kenya AA grade coffee , which is a big full bodied high quality arabica.....or maybe one of the Indonesian arabicas, also very big full bodied coffees.

Regardz,
      Attilio
      first / original CS site sponsor

Comment

Hi Andrew,

for a good rich morning cuppa grab a bag of the Aussie MTE 478 from Pioneer Coffee or I think he still had some Green if you home roast, as a bean it is rich and earthy with a hint of spice. Another good one if it is roasted right is the PNG Wahgi which is chocolaty and rich. Also Andys CS Gold was good last time I had one.

Better yet grab a Syphon  8-)

Comment

I found Sumatra Blue Lintong from our host smacked me around the face of a morning.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I bought some Kenya AA, well see how it turns out but I might grab some Sumatra Blue Lintong next time

Comment

I also found the Bali Gunung Batur to have quite a strong flavour.
              As for caffeine hit, plunger brew will have more caffeine than espresso, but if its not enough you could add some high quality Robusta, the Indian Kaapi has nice nutty flavour and works well at about 15%.

Bullitt

Comment

I had some Kopi Luwak recently that knocked me around!

a touch on the expensive side to use as regular supply though...

Comment

Thanks guys, all going on the list.. Kenya AA apparently is a nice rich flavour with nice hit, but well have to see when it comes in a few days.

Kenya AA @ $11/kg isnt too bad either

Comment

Working...
                  X