Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking water filtration v coffee filtration

Hi all,
    A happy snap of the mushroom from the top of a Giotto group. This is a Melbourne machine..(apols for the crappy mobile snap)

The owner has expensive triple underbench filtration for drinking water- which like most filters does nothing for scale.

If youre using your fridge or the plumber installed a drinking water filter, it will most likely be doing little, if anything for calcium scale..

Water for thought?  :-?

Re: Drinking water filtration v coffee filtration

Hi 2mcm

Are you able to make a comparison between the outcomes of those types of filters and others. I for one use a Brita jug and am curious if the same would be happening in my Giotto.

Mal

Comment

Originally posted by 5F52515F3D0 link=1238824659/1#1 date=1238825794
      Hi 2mcm

Are you able to make a comparison between the outcomes of those types of filters and others. I for one use a Brita jug and am curious if the same would be happening in my Giotto.

Mal
      Hi Mal,

I suggest that you could remove the mushroom (large top bolt) from your machine and add to the pix?

regards

2mcm

Comment

I think its partly a case of you get what you pay for. Often, the problem is that you might go out and buy a pretty expensive filtration system only to find down the track that its pretty useless for coffee machine purposes.

Enter Bombora! As part of our new fit-out Bernard was able to advise me on a filtration system to suit our machine and local water. There were a couple of options available and I ended up choosing the ScaleGuard Pro. It might be a bit of overkill for my circumstances as the thing is almost the size of a bazooka, but when you spend a bomb on your coffee machine it just seems like false economy to skimp on an effective preventative system.

I dont know if any comparative studies have been done, but I suspect that if you were to calculate the lifetime cost of a Brita compared to a purpose designed system from Bombora, the Brita would be very likely to come out 2nd best.

Comment

Mal, have a look at mine from a recent thread.
          http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1238140961/1#1

Comment

I know Veneziano offer and use Hospitality grade RO Systems - meaning it produces absolutely pure water which is remineralised (so it is safe for the machine).

Comment

Hi TG
              I did see that picture, but i note that i am fairly religious in replacing the cartridge when the counter advises us to, having said that i dont know how many litres of water each cartridge is rated for and i dont keep a track of how much water goes through each cartridge.

I will take the machine apart next chance i get and take a look.

Mal

Comment

Mine doesnt have a counter so I know I havent replaced it as often as recommended every time.

Comment

Pulled the mushroom out of my giotto. Been using a brita jug but probably need to change the filter more often.... (Melbourne water)
                  Nice and shiny under the scale :-)

Comment

Hey folks,

there is a bit of info in the post below that came up a little while ago
                    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1205410888

some of it is relevant to this thread...

As a comment: there is literature for and against Reverse Osmosis with re-mineralization(in terms of effectiveness of remineralization) my thoughts are that it is a tad overkill and the $ 1000 plus price tag (even more for commercial apps) is a bit prohibitive, not to mention flow rate issues, space and cost of upkeep.
                    From my point of view the Scale Gard Pro that Den has is the poo of coffee machine filters...and one of the few dedicated filters that have been specifically developed to achieve an ideal PH for espresso(ie controlling water hardness without compromising mineral content)...i could bore you with this for hours

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 616C6E616C7162030 link=1238824659/9#9 date=1238883530
                      From my point of view the Scale Gard Pro that Den has is the poo of coffee machine filters
                      I preferred it when you called it the antz pantz Bernard! ;D

Comment

Yes , my choice of jargon was restricted by Sunday morning coherence......i retract my poo statement. ....

Comment

Originally posted by 575A58575A4754350 link=1238824659/11#11 date=1238892426
                          Yes , my choice of jargon was restricted by Sunday morning coherence......i retract my poo statement. ....
                          Yeppers Mr Bomboratastic....The term "the ducks" would be far more appropriate!  ;D

P.S- Enjoyed part 2 of your company history the other night- just as much as part 1!

2mcm

Comment

The "mushroom" in my VBM looked very similar to the one in the first post. I always assumed that Id be OK because my machine is plumbed through a drinking water filter.
                            I contacted Bernard immediately after reading this post. He responded promptly & I now have the correct filter on its way. The best part is that Bernard was able to supply a drop in cartridge that will fit in my current set-up.

BTW, whats the recommended chemical used to wash scale away from components & where can I get it?

Evan.

Comment

Originally posted by 495A2C0 link=1238824659/13#13 date=1238931645
                              Bombora has what you need.

Comment

Working...
                              X