Double shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double shot

I dont often go out for coffee because of some extremely bad experiences Ive had - that is what led me to my home coffee making obsession I think. Every now and again Im in a place where I say "why not, it cant be too bad".....I was visiting a workplace with my students (Im a teacher) and I decided to get a takeaway coffee for me and a colleague. I asked the lady serving for two lattes both double shots. I noticed that the PF was already locked in and ready to go - not sure how long for...not a good start. The lady then put both cups under double PF and pulled the shot. I bit my tongue and just assumed that she didnt hear me when I asked for a double in each cup. I watched as she let the shot go for 25 secs and then pressed the button again for another 25 seconds....I was too stunned to say anything and I payed for the coffees and left. I took a sip and tossed the rest feeling very ripped off - back to my own kitchen cafe for a double shot that only comes out by pressing the button once!

Anybody else experienced half a double shot extracted twice? :-?

Alistair

Re: Double shot

Not seen it done but have tasted coffee that may have been the result of this.

Comment

Yep... Some times they may even do it more that twice..

Comment

If you think that is bad have a read of this : http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1229489528/31#31

Comment

BF that is such a good laugh. Until I read those stories I didnt understand why so much cafe coffee is crap. What sane person could conceive of anyone putting Instant into a PF. When my 94yo Mum first watched me operate my Diadema she asked whether you could do more than one pour from the same PF. You just dont think there are so called Baristas out there who are no wiser.
          I am amazed at the number of aspiring Baristas who dont drink coffee. For me, that explains a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by 7671757A72786D7D7A73140 link=1240144103/3#3 date=1240192031
            do
            Exactly the post I was thinking of BF. ;D

Comment

Im not sure what you would call the coffee I had from a cafe a few weeks ago. I asked for a flat white and the guy let the coffee run through the PF until the cup was almost full and then topped it up with cold milk.

Unfortunately he had already taken my money and I was in a hurry to catch a train so I just took it and left. Needless to say it was disgusting and I wont be going back there again.

Comment

Originally posted by 143221530 link=1240144103/6#6 date=1240544061
                what you would call the coffee I had
                Caterers Blend, Nescafe, International Roast, ....  I mean, no - no idea what you would call that really.

Comment

Basically all these stories boil down to is someone in a cafe thinking they can turn roasted coffee into a profit without spending another $200 on a one day barista course.

The thing they dont realise is that by not investing a little time and money in some training, theyre missing out on thousands of $ in income over time.

Theres a lady at my train station who makes coffee on a single group Rancilio epoca. No one buys off her because she falls in to the same category as the examples above. I would love to buy the business off her and see if I can turn it around just for the sake of it. Ive no intention of doing that, but the thought crosses my mind.

Comment

I swear some cafes only allow one puck for the day and just keep pressing that button...

Comment

Originally posted by 5B504A58070E3F0 link=1240144103/9#9 date=1240554192
                      I swear some cafes only allow one puck for the day and just keep pressing that button...
                      [ch2405] shudder [ch2405]
                      Just the thought of that makes the blood run cold :-/

Mal.

Comment

lol, Ive seen it happen before.

Comment

I asked for a double shot espresso at a well known "royal" donut franchise store and received something that tasted weaker than purified water. After going back to watch the "barista" make some coffees I observed a tamping effort that wouldnt have injured an ant. My wife used to work at that store and assures me that they all received proper training. Some people obviously just dont give a stuff about what they are serving!

Comment

At a deli near where i work has 2 people that make coffee on their 2 goup machine, i have a very good short black from one, about 30ml.
                            i went back the next week under the illusion that i would get the same result from someone else, i asked for a short black, i saw the person add water from the machine into the small cold cup and then proceed to press the button, when the full cup reached me at the counter i asked if hot water was added to it , the reply was yes i asked if i could have another one, no problem i was told , they went back to the machine new coffee, and proceeded to fill the cup to the top and gave it to me with a smile. i paid moved the cup to a table and left.
                            Amazing as to what passes as coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by 7A76747A7673737870170 link=1240144103/12#12 date=1241337791
                              I observed a tamping effort that wouldnt have injured an ant.
                              Sounds like my method...

Depending on the beans and grind, one does not need to use the pressure that others might see as being the rule..

WBC winner for example.. A real eye opened for some..

Comment

Working...
                              X