X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Roasts // It Grinds // It Brews

Words from the designer:

THE COFFEE MAKER PROCESS

Take 50 green beans.  Roast for 7 minutes for a medium roast, 9 minutes for a dark roast.  Cool beans.  Whilst grinding the cooled beans heat the water until air bubbles begin to pop.  Place ground beans into water.  Stir and brew for 4 minutes.  Then pour and enjoy a cup of fresh perfect coffee.

DESIGN PHILOSOPHY

To achieve genuine sustainability, products must not be temporary or transient.  “My philosophy is to create beautiful pieces of elegant simplicity - which not only have longevity but true lasting value to the user.  My Coffee Maker is designed with this in mind.  It’s a multi-sensory product that is finished in appropriate materials that should endure whilst being enjoyable to use.”

Three videos here:
    http://www.vimeo.com/4571673

info here:
    http://www.yankodesign.com/2009/05/12/addictive-measure/

Tom Metcalfe is a graduate of an internationally acclaimed product design course, his new Coffee Maker is for the discerning coffee lover who wants the perfect cup of coffee.

The Coffee Maker makes a ceremony of the roasting, grinding and brewing of fresh green beans. The beans can be roasted to any degree of roast, to any personal taste. Theyre then ground by hand which ensures no damage to the bean. And then brewed in glass, which prevents calcification. Each stage maximises the potential of the raw ingredient to create the perfect cup of coffee.

Re: It Roasts // It Grinds // It Brews

Beautiful design, fascinating process, great PR writing.

Great coffee--Im not convinced.

Replace my espresso machine--not a chance!

Greg

Comment

definitely more of a "Show and Tell" school project thing.

Wank factor: 10
      Practicality: 1

;D

Comment

From the link...

"The Coffee Maker makes a ceremony of the roasting, grinding and brewing of fresh green beans"

As a "table top ceremony" and lump of cool design gizmo I love it. I would buy one! (well at the right price I might).

Curious why they forgot to put an electronic igniter in it though.

:-?

Comment

Designers website and wheres the Syphon and fume extractor

http://www.tommetcalfe.com

Cool design object apart from that

Comment

Great talking piece but as far as that, i just dont see the point. :-/

Comment

Theyre then ground by hand which ensures no damage to the bean
              I would have thought grinding them into little bits would be considered damage ...

Comment

Originally posted by 54406A5107350 link=1242444555/2#2 date=1242450252

Wank factor:10
                Practicality:1
                Probably... but most things can be catagorised as that by somebody else.    

It is a beautiful piece of design and Id love to have a play with one, but my piggybank fund is still for a better espresso machine.

Comment

Cool concept. Horses for courses I guess.
                  Would go perfectly with jack nicholsons kopi luwak in the bucket list...

Comment

That is totally AWESOME!

I just gotta have one for work. Imagine all the free personal time you can muster up with just 4 coffee breaks a day

Comment

Working...
                    X