Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After dinner coffee - Melbourne

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • After dinner coffee - Melbourne

    Anyone found a great restaurant in Melbourne that can actually make great food, and follow up with a doppio that oozes class, or a creamy latte with some art on it.
    I find im left forgetting about how good a meal was when the coffee that follows is your average stale coffee.
    Its almost like leaving on a low...so to avoid this i never order coffee after a dinner

  • #2
    Re: After dinner coffee - Melbourne

    Originally posted by 053D3421173A2C550 link=1243000028/0#0 date=1243000028
    Anyone found a great restaurant in Melbourne that can actually make great food, and follow up with a doppio that oozes class, or a creamy latte with some art on it.
    I find im left forgetting about how good a meal was when the coffee that follows is your average stale coffee.
    Its almost like leaving on a low...so to avoid this i never order coffee after a dinner
    Nope...better chance of locating the holy grail Id reckon :

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: After dinner coffee - Melbourne

      A friend used to own and run one of the top restaurants here in Adelaide, and she used to say the espresso machine was broken to avoid having to serve from it.

      This was before I knew about espresso, and it only intrigued me. (She used to *give* friends a nice bottle of French Champagne to finish the meal.)

      I suspect the profit on an espresso didnt make up for the time required to make it. The staff were often run off their feet serving dishes costing MUCH more.

      Greg

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: After dinner coffee - Melbourne

        Dont know about Melbourne.
        But havent found one in Sydney.

        Better off searching for a great cafe that is open late - Or go home for after dinner coffees.

        Originally posted by 182D3A3808302D323E333B5F0 link=1243000028/2#2 date=1243000992
        I suspect the profit on an espresso didnt make up for the time required to make it. The staff were often run off their feet serving dishes costing MUCH more.
        That would surprise me given the margins on coffee. But I guess they wouldnt have fast baristas coffee makers and therefore might take a while.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: After dinner coffee - Melbourne

          Originally posted by 152D2431072A3C450 link=1243000028/0#0 date=1243000028
          Anyone found a great restaurant in Melbourne that can actually make great food, and follow up with a doppio that oozes class, or a creamy latte with some art on it.
          I find im left forgetting about how good a meal was when the coffee that follows is your average stale coffee.
          Its almost like leaving on a low...so to avoid this i never order coffee after a dinner
          The McConnell restaurants in the CBD are a fairly good bet. Both Bar Lourinha and Cumulus Inc use freshly roasted coffee and have some staff that know how to pull an acceptable shot. At both, I have had shots that have varied from good, but unexceptional, to a bit thin. This is, of course, utterly remarkable for a restaurant. Both are open during the day and are worthwhile visiting if youre in the area and want a coffee.

          I know that Coffee Supreme supplies a number of restaurants, so I would expect there to be one or two that are OK.

          Its easy to see why coffee isnt a priority at a restaurant. Youre basically asking them to invest a lot of money in equipment, supplies and training in order to tie up a table for an extra 20 minutes for the sake of an extra $3 per head ... so, basically, you can pretty much lose a sitting of diners if your coffee is good enough that people order it. (Of course, this is a poor explanation for serving crap coffee as opposed to no coffee at all, particularly if it takes a long time to get out said crap coffee.) Perhaps a partial creative solution might be to limit coffee service to the bar, marketing it as a an Italian espresso bar type experience, so that you can get more people dining at each table per night?

          Another interesting take on it is Intelligentsias new cafe in Venice Beach, Los Angeles. They are right next to a bunch of restaurants, so they are going to stay open late. The idea is that people will swing down to Intelly for coffee and dessert after dinner. Presumably most restaurants wont really care about losing the patronage - otherwise, theyd offer better coffee! If they do, then they can improve the quality of the coffee that they offer. A big win for the diners at Venice Beach, I say!

          Cheers,

          Luca

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: After dinner coffee - Melbourne

            Originally posted by 6D746260010 link=1243000028/4#4 date=1243050796
            Another interesting take on it is Intelligentsias new cafe in Venice Beach, Los Angeles.They are right next to a bunch of restaurants, so they are going to stay open late.The idea is that people will swing down to Intelly for coffee and dessert after dinner.Presumably most restaurants wont really care about losing the patronage - otherwise, theyd offer better coffee!If they do, then they can improve the quality of the coffee that they offer.A big win for the diners at Venice Beach, I say!

            Id go for a coffee after a long, hard skateboard, VB style 8-) !

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: After dinner coffee - Melbourne


              Originally posted by 08313B3B37343714392C2C3D580 link=1243000028/3#3 date=1243033077
              Or go home for after dinner coffees.
              A group of us went to dinner a month ago and at the end of the meal, when we were asked "would anyone like a coffee" I had 8 pairs of eyes all look at me around the table with a grin and someone said "maybe at your place?". Sure enough, a night on the esporesso machine at home followed. Such is the life of a CoffeeSnob.



              Comment


              • #8
                Re: After dinner coffee - Melbourne

                a "post dinner espressin session"

                Comment

                Working...
                X