Pour times for a double basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pour times for a double basket

Im a bit confused about pour times with a double basket. If I am doing 2 cups, it should be 25-30 seconds right? or should it be doubled to 50-60 seconds as I am filling 2 cups? And if the former, then a single shot in a single glass with the double basket should come through in about 15 seconds?

Thanks

Re: Pour times for a double basket

The pour time should measure the 25 seconds reguardless of whether its a single or double shot.

Java "Uuummm...oozing brown gold" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

yeah, at first it didnt make sense to me either (double the water, double the amount of ground coffee, but the same extraction time???).

But when you taste a double shot that has taken 50-60 seconds to extract ... it makes sense!

Comment

Well, it does *sorta* make sense. Its a ratio that produces a value. Not that I have it right yet of course

Grant

Comment

While the double basket holds twice the amount of coffee as a single, it also has twice as many holes in it for the espresso to pass through so a pull will take the same amount of time in both of them.

Also keep in mind that the 25 seconds is just a general rule and should be adjusted according to your equipment, beans, and tastes.

Java "Loves the double" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Ok, thats the way Ive been doing it. It just made me think this morning when I was just doing a single shot for myself, and so I only used the first 15 seconds or so of the coffee. In that situation, do you think its better to use the first 30 ml like I did, or pour into 2 cups, get the full 25 sec pour and discard the extra coffee. It uses no more / less coffee, just creates a bit of extra washing up

Comment

Read a quote yesterday - I think it may have been on here.

"Taste is the only morality". Try both methods and then drink whatever tastes best to you.

Grant

Comment

Occasionally I deliberately overload the double basket, then do a very leisurely 60 ml extraction which take 40 or so seconds. The coffee emerges as a very thin trickle, but the crema is dark and tastes superb.

Comment

Working...
                X