Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iced coffee.

Hallo.

Im new here, live just east of Melbourne, and I have very little knowledge of coffee.  But I am probably unusual in that I am very fond of iced coffee, but have never got into hot coffee, as I tend not to like hot drinks of any sort, in general.  However, I rarely get through a day without having iced coffee, and this is all through the year, not just the warmer weather.  I usually have it just once, occasionally two or three times - I am not a chain iced-coffee drinker.
        If anyone else here is keen on iced coffee, Id like to hear from them; and I want to ask for any suggestions about making it.

I often drink it at cafés or restaurants, and find perhaps 50 percent are quite inadequate, and nearly the same number are adequate but not really good - quite acceptable and average, but thats all; and a very small number are truly superb - distinctly above average.  Those places are the ones I keep going back to, and I am often willing to go quite some miles out of my way to call on these places.
        The commonest problem is getting cafés to make it strong enough.  15 or 20 or more years ago, I never had to ask for it to be made strong, because it was usually right anyway.  However, almost everyone makes it so weak nowadays; and the milky colour of it demonstrates that this is not just the result of my tastes changing.  Sometimes even if I ask for it strong, it still comes to me weak, which I admit to finding rather annoying.  If I think it is good other than being too weak, I will keep going back several more times, and tell them what my problem is, and I may succeed in educating them into making it stronger for me.

Anyway, I find that, when I try to make iced coffee myself, I just cannot seem to make it right, however I try, or whatever coffee I use, and I cannot always identify just what I think is wrong with it; and this is what I wanted to ask about.  The thought has occurred to me that what I make may in fact be quite good, but I might have a kind of psychological block whereby I just tend to find not so good anything I make myself - I just dont know.
        I read or heard about the Coffee Snobs Forum a week or two ago, and thought I might join and post my query here, and see if anyone has any tips on making iced coffee which I can learn to make it better.
        I cant go into the exact ways I make my own iced coffee in full detail in my first post, and may not have either the knowledge nor the terminology to describe how I do it anyway; but I wonder if I could please ask if there are known and established techniques for making iced coffee.  I admit I am probably fussy in this area: I have been drinking iced coffee regularly since my teens, around 1970, and I was much more easily pleased then - even quite satisfied with instant coffee, which I rarely enjoy all that much now (its better than nothing if its all thats available, but thats about the best I would say for it nowadays).  But it does seem that I am far more fussy now, and in a way I regret this, because I am less easily pleased now, and I probably enjoyed my iced coffee more often when I was less fussy.  But I suppose theres no going back to that.

So if anyone has any comments about iced coffee, I would be grateful to hear from them.  I would be interested to know if someone whose main interest is iced coffee is a bit of a freak in a forum like this.
        Thank you.

Regards,
                             Michael.

Re: Iced coffee.

Hi Michael and welcome to coffeesnobs!

here are plenty of us here that drink iced coffee, prepared in all sorts of different ways. In fact, youll find that pretty much any method of enjoying fresh coffee is in use by members of this site!

Personally, I havent really experimented much with iced coffee or cold process coffee - yet. If Im looking for a cooler way to enjoy my coffee I usually go for an affogato - espresso poured over gelato or ice cream.

Comment

Welcome Michael,

There are so many versions of "iced coffee" ..

are you a purist: shot of espresso (or better double ristretto base), on ice, with milk >> no other additives

or do you like it sweet:
      espresso base, flavoured syrup, blended ice, milk, cream, caramel .. etc etc.

or as hazchem said: do you like cold drinks in general: ie: the affogato - espresso poured over gelato or ice cream.

Please do let us know how you like it and how you make it at home.

Comment

Its hard to say where you are going wrong if you cant tell us how you make your iced coffee.

As others have said, the usual way is a shot of espresso, ice and milk in a chilled glass.

What equipment do you use to pour the shot?

What beans do you use?

What kind of grinder do you use?

These are all just some of the basic questions we would need to know in order to have some idea of where you may or may not be going wrong.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by 771470147F143A0 link=1243450886/0#0 date=1243450886
          But it does seem that I am far more fussy now, and in a way I regret this, because I am less easily pleased now, and I probably enjoyed my iced coffee more often when I was less fussy.  But I suppose theres no going back to that.
          I think that you have come to the right place!

I for one have had the same thoughts and I am sure many of the member of this site would too!
          My friend saw my highly modified home roaster and coffee machine, put his hand on my shoulder and said "You know youve f#cked yourself, dont you?" ;D

Back on topic.

The best, easiest way I have found of making iced coffee is by using cold press as the base of the drink.

One way of making it is using a plunger.
          Grind some beans to plunger grind, or ask where you buy your coffee to do so. The advise that you will receive here is to get freshly roasted beans and grind on demand. This advise would be for any method of coffee extraction. Ground coffee deteriates very quickly. For a snob grounds, in the open, are considered rubbish after 3-5 minutes.

Put the grinds into the plunger and add room temp (tap water pref filtered) to the ratio of 170gram coffee to one Litre of water.
          Leave to stand (at room temp) for 8-12 hours, then plunge slowly. Put the liquid into another bottle. Use this coffee at the ratio of 1 part cold press coffee to between 3-5 parts liquid (milk, water).
          In the fridge the cold press will last about 3 weeks.

Check out this thread for more ideas on cold press;
          http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1233791566

Enjoy and welcome to Coffee Snobs!

Comment

Originally posted by 5F5C4E4E4A5C443D0 link=1243450886/4#4 date=1243470531
            Grind some beans to plunger grind, or ask where you buy your coffee to do so. The advise that you will receive here is to get freshly roasted beans and grind on demand. This advise would be for any method of coffee extraction. Ground coffee deteriates very quickly. For a snob grounds, in the open, are considered rubbish after 3-5 minutes.

all very well and good, but we need input from the OP.   As he/she started out liking instant .. now is asking for "stronger" coffee taste ... It could be that the OPs palate would prefer stale / bitter beans (or attributes a strong coffee flavour to bitterness).  Or maybe the OP prefers overroasted charcoal beans (s*flucks)

All in all, youve come to the right place ... more input please

Originally posted by 2C2F3D3D392F374E0 link=1243450886/4#4 date=1243470531
            My friend saw my highly modified home roaster and coffee machine, put his hand on my shoulder and said "You know youve f#cked yourself, dont you?" ;D
            LMAO ... this i can fully appreciate  ;D  ;D  ;D

Comment

I live in Taiwan, which gets very hot in the summer.  I drink iced coffee from about the middle of May until sometime into October.

I use an AeroPress.  I make a normal shot, add a few ice cubes to get the temperature down, then add cold water that I keep in the fridge.  For sweetener, I use a 50/50 mixture of sugar and water which I also keep stored in the fridge (I use boiling water to make the mixture).  My wife likes milk drinks, so I use an AeroPress shot, add an ice cube, sugar mixture, flavoring, and then milk.  

These are just a few suggestions for places to start.  You can tailor these to your specific tastes however you want.

Comment

Michael we would like to read how you make it yourself so that we have something to go on.

A suggestion from me though is to ask the places where you like the coffee to tell you how they make it.

Secondly, ask the places where you find the coffee isnt quite to your likeing how they make it too so you know what the difference is.
                Then just ask them to make it the way you want (like the good places).

I have no problem discussing how a place makes coffee before placing my order.
                Only yesterday at a new place I enquired about the size of the cups they used before deciding how to ask for my coffee to be made.

You are the guy with the money; if they want it, theyll have to make your iced coffees the way you want.

Comment

I adore the affogato - espresso poured over gelato or ice cream.
                  But at home, I put two shots of cooled espresso with milk and ice then put it in the blender. Sometimes I put in icecream. Sometimes not. But thats just me.

I went into Gloria Jeans not long ago and ordered a High Voltage which is their version of iced coffee.

I liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by 765546405B585D5A5B340 link=1243450886/8#8 date=1243476521
                    I put two shots of cooled espresso with milk and ice then put it in the blender.
                    Try using condensed milk instead. Adds a certain richness to it.

Comment

I love a good iced coffee--and iced or hot I like my coffee to have lots of taste without excessive caffeine.

One problem I have encountered is that not everyone agrees what strong means--taste intensity, bean roast, colour of drink, or caffeine content.

My recipe (all measures more or less depending on whether I want it rich, or thick, or thin, or icy or...): --two doppio ristrettos, 100ml whole milk, 50-100gm ice cubes, tablespoon good vanilla ice-cream, sugar to taste, and 10ml Irish Mist liqueur. Purée.

Greg

Comment

Thanks to all who have welcomed me and offered me suggestions.  I didnt really think Id get so many replies, and some of them are asking me for more detail on how I prepare my iced coffee.
                            I will work through them and reply to any questions that seem required, so Ill just need a bit of time for that - possibly another day or two, since I may not have a lot of time tomorrow for posting.  When I said before I couldnt really go into detail about how I did it in my first post, I didnt mean I was not willing to give those details, but rather it seemed a bit too much to clutter up my first post with such detail.  (I notice a 10,000-character limit to posts, and I have noticed in the past that I have a tendency to make rather long, detailed posts.  However, my lack of expertise in coffee will probably prevent me doing that here.)

Regards,
                                                 Michael.

Comment

Im not to late am I :

I have recently been experimenting with
                          Hot chocolate and adding real Canadian maple syrup (Yumm makes a nice drop)

So I replaced the chocolate with espresso coffee & mixed in the maple syrup added milk and it tastes pretty damn good

First try
                          60 ml of espresso or double shot
                          60 ml of Maple syrup
                          250 ml (or close to it) of cold milk whipped up with my bamix stick blender

Second try
                          As above
                          But I had a craving for malt
                          I was daydreaming about my summer milkshakes with double malt added

So I added double malt and it was equally as good

Hard to decide which one tasted the best so I rate them to be  equal yumm yumm yummy drinks

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 03272E2E2D2D1703273B2527480 link=1243450886/12#12 date=1243514907
                            So I replaced the chocolate with espresso coffee & mixed in the maple syrup added milk and it tastes pretty damn good
                            You dont happen to drink caramel lattes with 3 sugars do you KK? ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 04252E2E2933400 link=1243450886/13#13 date=1243515608
                              You dont happen to drink caramel lattes with 3 sugars do you KK? ;D

Never had a caramel latte
                              I do like sweet things but only in moderation

I still have a sweet of some sort every day after my evening meal

KK

Comment

Working...
                              X