"Red espresso"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Red espresso"

Anyone tried this stuff called "Red Espresso"? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_espresso and http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/789828.html

I quote from the latter article:

"Called Red Espresso, its made from rooibos tea but can be used in a traditional espresso machine and used as the foundation for any espresso-based drink. Theres no caffeine, and the drinks are rich in antioxidants, affording folks a more healthful choice. "

What is it like? Would there be flavour/other contamination issues if you use it in your regular espresso machine/portafilter?

Curious squirrel

Re: "Red espresso"

Not tried but I can only imagine it tastes like a Rooibos.
    I guess it would leave some flavour in the pf so clean it well.

I like my Rooibos brewed,
    cant understand why youd bother.

Comment

Originally posted by 4D43475A464D5C280 link=1243581523/0#0 date=1243581523

Theres no caffeine

Curious squirrel
      And that would make you uncaffeinated squirrel...

Comment

Im very interested to try this, but a cursory search shows to local (ie. national) suppliers, and as I havent even had rooibos before, I wouldnt be willing to lash out on international shipping. Definitely something to keep in mind though, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by 2C243C362B4F0 link=1243581523/2#2 date=1243584217
          And that would make you uncaffeinated squirrel...
          That would be a bad thing indeed...

Comment

Originally posted by 2E3730392B2D3F335E0 link=1243581523/3#3 date=1243598139
            international shipping
            No need for that pingusam.
            In Brisbane city, The Tea Centre has a range of Rooibos.
            In an arcade off the Quees st mall.
            A quick google will find it for you.

Comment

Rooibos is a South African product and is readily available in Brisbane. If youre in the Western Suburbs, youll find it the butchers at both Kenmore Village and Kenmore Plaza as well as the Foodstore on Moggil Rd. If you search for Springbok Foods, one of the importers, youll find a stockist list.
              I think Ive even seen it at Coles.

Comment

Ha, Im so set in my internet ways. I can now recall seeing it in Coles myself at some stage.

E; I mean the tea, not the espresso thing. I guess the added advantage of the espresso style rooibos would be longevity.

Comment

Ive got some in my cupboard Ive been meaning to try. You will need to do a backflush cleaning regimen when youre done doing them up as well as a good soaking of your portafilter and basket in a backflushing solution as it leaves a residual flavor behind. You also need to be very careful in how much you use. Putting too much in the basket can damage your machine.

Ill do some up before I retire the espresso machine for the summer here and let ya know what I think.

Java "Always experimenting" phile
                  Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

You can buy Rooibos at most suoermarkets & healthfood shops. Rooibos with Buchu is joy if you can get your hands on it! hard to find on the west coast!

Comment

Im just very interested in the espresso-style extraction, thats all. Teawise I have a couple from the (very) local supermarket, some temple of heaven gunpowder tea, oolong, and green all from asia, as well as some earl grey (twinnings) I got from Coles (all loose leaf, obviously).

Im not exactly a sophisticated tea connoisseur – I even chew the leaves once Ive brewed a couple times!

Kombucha is definitely my next experiment (an appropriate word).

Comment

It tastes like uuummm.....tea! :

It extracted nothing like espresso.

I brewed it up exactly as per the instructions on the packet. One level scoop (included in the package) of the tea placed into a double basket. Pre-infuse the tea and then wait for 15 seconds and then extract 60ml. The 60ml came pouring out in ~5-6 seconds with no signs of any crema like component.

Straight up it tasted ok but nothing really unusual so I thought what the heck, and frothed up some milk and made a cappuccino with it. It turned the foam an interesting shade of red/brown/pink and made a drinkable cup.

All in all brewing it up in the espresso machine did nothing other than make a concentrated small cup of tea. Perhaps using their special basket will get it to yield some crema or other special characteristics.

Java "Will stick to putting coffee in his basket" phile
                        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Well, isnt that just depressing. I like really strong teas, so the concentrated aspect appeals to me, but because of the extra cleanup...I dont think Id bother. If it was concentrated AND had a viscous texture, then itd be worth it.

Comment

try plunging instead with equal parts tea and water then leave overnight for an action-packed extraction!

Comment

Redespresso - coffee alternative

Anyone tried it on there machine? I had the drink at a cafe recently very interesting coffee alternative.

red espresso® | no ordinary tea and not your typical espresso

Can't seem to locate a local supplier. Anyone tried grinding roobios to see if it has the same results?

Comment

Working...
                              X