Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans-Tasman Coffee Machine Logistics

Hey everyone,

Ive recently moved over to Melbourne from Auckland and have been trying to find the best way of moving my Vibiemme Domobar Super Lever over as well. I didnt have enough stuff to justify the cost of hiring a container so Ive just boxed it and left my Vibiemme in Auckland for now.

Ive been contemplating just checking all 28kg (probably closer to ~30kg with box and extra packaging and padding) of it in on my flight the next time I go back to Auckland to visit the folks and pay the excess weight fee, except that Im quite worried that I might not have something usable by the time the baggage handlers are done with it.

DHL was another option, and I believe the quick quote came out to be around ~NZD440.

Any suggestions as to the most cost effective (and safe) way of bringing it over?

-cj

Re: Trans-Tasman Coffee Machine Logistics

If you can get a flight @ a special price
    Buy 2 seats on the plane one for you one for the VBM

I know that a lot of musicians do this especially ones that play Double Bass

KK
    Edit Spelling type-O from Base to Bass :P

Comment

Originally posted by 5A7E777774744E5A7E627C7E110 link=1244517138/1#1 date=1244517661

I know that a lot of musicians do this especially ones that play Double Base

KK
      Err.... that would be bass not base. ;D

Comment

Im sure Koffe Kosmo is sorry for upsetting you baseway ;D

Comment

As long as he knows what I meant. Thats the main thing

I did not visually check what the auto spell check did
          (note to self dont trust auto spell check)

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 684C454546467C684C504E4C230 link=1244517138/1#1 date=1244517661

I know that a lot of musicians do this especially ones that play Double Base

KK
            Hmmmmm, I guess they cant really say "we cant let you on with that since its a potential weapon", apart from it falling on someone. Carrying it to my seat on the aisles could be quite a task too, but if they allow this, Im sure my arms will hold up all for the love of coffee. I guess Ill have to ask Qantas if they will play ball .

Would buying two tickets entitle me to twice the luggage allowances? This would probably be cheaper than paying for excess luggage too provided I can get cheap tickets.

-cj

Comment

Hi ChunJun,
                  I brought my HX back from Singapore as checked in luggage and it arrived in mint condition.  If youre expecting to fly moderately often in the future, join the Qantas Club.  Besides lounge access etc, youll get 10 extra kg of luggage allowance. Rather useful when say....moving huge amounts of machined brass and stainless steel around the world :P

As for the (perhaps tongue in cheek?) suggestions of taking it in the cabin...irrespective of any potential weapon issues, its just FAR too heavy to be permitted in any location (under seat, overhead locker, etc).  Not to mention too big.

Good luck.

Epic76

Comment

Unfortuntely Qantas club is rather pricey for someone like me who doesnt travel all that much at the moment. Ill just be prepared to get charged for the excess baggage, but who knows, I might get away with 30ish kg depending on my luck with the person at the check-in counter .

Comment

Flick it off on trade me and buy a new one off one of the sponsors.
                  Thats what id do without hesitation. They are getting good money second hand on there and you will get a great deal off a CS sponsor.

Chris

ps very jealous you have moved to Melbourne

Comment

I did consider selling and buying a new one here, however, after looking at the prices here for the same VBM as well as taking into account for the ridiculously strong aussie dollar, its just a lot cheaper to attempt to transport my existing one over.

Comment

Weve brought a few things back - Chch to Sydney (including a bronze sculpture last year) and usually send them as unaccompanied air freight. Much cheaper than taking it on the flight and usually travels a day or two before or after you. You can arrange it with the airline when you book your ticket.

Comment

Working...
                      X