Bean or seed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bean or seed?

How did coffee seed become known as a bean?

It looks like a seed. From what I have read it is a seed and not a bean.

So how did it get to be known as a bean? Strange.

Re: Bean or seed?

Cos its bean roasted? ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 03001212160018610 link=1245727065/0#0 date=1245727065
      From what I have read it is a seed and not a bean
      If you wikipedia "bean":

The term "bean" originally referred to the seed of the broad bean, but ....<snip>. The term is now applied in a general way to many other related plants such as soybeans, peas, lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas (garbanzos), vetches and lupins.

Comment

Originally posted by 777D687F7F706462110 link=1245727065/2#2 date=1245728002
        The term "bean" originally referred to the seed of the broad bean
        I love to eat broad beans (fresh produce)
        Sorry for going off topic

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 767C697E7E716563100 link=1245727065/2#2 date=1245728002
          The term "bean" originally referred to the seed of the broad bean, but ....<snip>. The term is now applied in a general way to many other related plants such as soybeans, peas, lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas (garbanzos), vetches and lupins.
          They are all fairly similar in terms of where they grow and how they grow (ie winter annual) but the coffee tree is quite different and it is indeed a seed. The only one I can think of the top of my head which is similar is coco bean. Maybe it is something to do with it being a highly desirable food? ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 535D505F485E5F310 link=1245727065/4#4 date=1245729249
            They are all fairly similar in terms of where they grow and how they grow
            That would have no bearing on the use of the word.
            Language is a strange beast.

Comment

Originally posted by 5C607D666C6D7A6F676C080 link=1245727065/5#5 date=1245731126
              That would have no bearing on the use of the word
              I would disagree ie the use of the word grain to describe the seeds of grasses such as wheat barley etc. But I would agree with language being a strange thing my fave being we use the word pair to describe pants but you would never say a pair of tshirt.

Comment

Pant is from pantaloon, or trouser--a covering suspended from the waist and covering a leg--therefore a PAIR covers both legs at once.

But english is weird, thats what makes it alive, the most dynamic language current, and sometimes, as confusing as all-get-out.

Greg

Comment

i thought beans are seeds or seed pods containing seeds

Comment

Originally posted by 5458515152526844595855370 link=1245727065/8#8 date=1245749624
                    From my understanding seeds in a pod are a bean. Therefore coffee is a seed not a bean.

But dictionary.com gives this:
                    –noun
                    1. the edible nutritious seed of various plants of the legume family, esp. of the genus Phaseolus.
                    2. a plant producing such seeds.
                    3. the pod of such a plant, esp. when immature and eaten as a vegetable.
                    4. any of various other beanlike seeds or plants, as the coffee bean.

As said before language is a strange beast!

Comment

Seedy bean,or bean seedy? ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 7576646460766E170 link=1245727065/9#9 date=1245749860
                        Originally posted by 5458515152526844595855370 link=1245727065/8#8 date=1245749624
                        From my understanding seeds in a pod are a bean. Therefore coffee is a seed not a bean.

But dictionary.com gives this:
                        –noun
                        1.      the edible nutritious seed of various plants of the legume family, esp. of the genus Phaseolus.
                        2.      a plant producing such seeds.
                        3.      the pod of such a plant, esp. when immature and eaten as a vegetable.
                        4.      any of various other beanlike seeds or plants, as the coffee bean.

As said before language is a strange beast!
                        i thought a bean in a pod was a pea and a bean was the ones you eat whole??

Comment

Originally posted by 575B525251516B475A5B56340 link=1245727065/11#11 date=1245752356
                          thought a bean in a pod was a pea and a bean
                          No, no. A pea in a pod is a seed in a bean, and a....

Oh, this is all giving me the pip! ;D

Comment

I knew my botany course would have some use ... :

Ok, yes, a coffee bean is actually a seed. The cherry is the fruit, technically a simple, fleshy, indehescient fruit, specifically a drupe.

A green bean or a pea pod is actually a simple, dry, dehiscient fruit; specifically a legume. The pea bit is the seed.

As for cocoa fruit, it is also a drupe. And the bit we call the bean is, yes, a seed.

From what I can gather, bean is used somewhat arbitrarily, and not an actual botanical descriptor. I may be wrong though :-/

Comment

The name derives from the Arabic language ([ch1602][ch1607][ch1608][ch1577] qahwa - "coffee" and bunn - "berry"). The name bean is not botanically accurate as the Coffee plant is not a member of the Fabaceae family, nor does it form a pod.

This again from Wiki which seems to suggest that it is wrong to call it a bean but we just do. Go figure, I am glad I grew up with english and didnt have to learn all these strange isms.

Comment

Working...
                              X