Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think Ive tried everything, still making sour coffee..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think Ive tried everything, still making sour coffee..

Hi all,

Ive owned a Sunbeam EM6910 for about 7 months. Up until now, I havent had time to get into the end to end method of brewing a good coffee... Ive also just been using pre-ground coffee.

Ive recently completed a basic barrista course, thoroughly cleaned the machine (as per instructions) and got myself a grinder and some nice beans.. After numerous attempts at making a great cup, I have managed to improved the overall process, however I am continually making very sour coffee. Ive read forum advice on this and other sites, with no success as yet. Any assistance? Im starting to wonder if theres a problem with the machine itself. Cheers.

Re: Think Ive tried everything, still making sour coffee..

Need more info, type of beans, time of pour, colour of pour, volume of shot, what sort of grinder (hopefully burr). Then we might be able to help.

Comment

It may also be water temperature related
      Brew water too hot or too cold can also give sour shots

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 38363B342335345A0 link=1245987680/1#1 date=1245989470
        Need more info, type of beans, time of pour, colour of pour, volume of shot, what sort of grinder (hopefully burr). Then we might be able to help.
        Thanks , Ill have to grab all the info tonight and post back then.
        Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by 082B3E3E2B440 link=1245987680/3#3 date=1245990954
          HI Coffeedave
          I was in the same boat with my machine (BZ99) a few weeks ago.
          To cut along story short, my cooling flush was too short, i didn`t get enough over temp water out. Now i do a longer cooling flush, put the handle straight in and pour. Apart from doing this all my other processes have been the same , and i haven`t had a sour cup since.
          My tamping is still not consistent , but i have my grind fairly consistent when i change beans. I have been working on 1 thing every week since i fixed the sourness and now the coffees not perfect  coffee  but it is good to very good coffee every cup now - to my taste anyway.
          hope this helps
          Cheers
          Jordan
          Thanks Jordan, excuse the ignorance, I have to admit Im not sure how to extend out the cooling flush? Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by 6A666F6F6C6C6D687F6C090 link=1245987680/5#5 date=1245991823

Thanks Jordan, excuse the ignorance, I have to admit Im not sure how to extend out the cooling flush? Thanks for your help.
            Coffeedave -

On a 6910 hit the manual button and let water come through into the tray for a few seconds before you lock the pf in place. Hit manual again to stop the flow, then load n lock.

Also, when you turn the machine on are you putting the pf and basket in the group head to warm it all up first?

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 2B233B312C480 link=1245987680/6#6 date=1245992056
              Originally posted by 6A666F6F6C6C6D687F6C090 link=1245987680/5#5 date=1245991823

Coffeedave -

On a 6910 hit the manual button and let water come through into the tray for a few seconds before you lock the pf in place. Hit manual again to stop the flow, then load n lock.

Also, when you turn the machine on are you putting the pf and basket in the group head to warm it all up first?

Chris
              Thanks Chris,
              Ok, so I am doing this, and yes, I make sure I warm it up for at least 10-15 mins, typically turn it on earlier than this. Ill try extending the cooling flush. Cheers again.

Comment

Pretty sure youll find that sour shots comes from either low temperature or under extracted shots. A cooling flush, if anything, is going to exacerbate the problem. On my 6910 I always hit the manual button for 2-3 seconds just to flush grinds off the showerhead, but not to cool.

Coffeedave, are you hitting the mark in terms of 25mls in 25-30 seconds? or is it running faster than this? Would you consider the crema quite blond? or is it a dark brown/reddish colour? If the shot is running fast and the colour is fairly blond, then youre probably underextracting the shot. Try for a finer grind to slow down the shot.

With the risk of overloading you with information and things to check, start with that for now.

Comment

Originally posted by 36343830303E3924570 link=1245987680/8#8 date=1245995324
                  Pretty sure youll find that sour shots comes from either low temperature or under extracted shots. A cooling flush, if anything, is going to exacerbate the problem. On my 6910 I always hit the manual button for 2-3 seconds just to flush grinds off the showerhead, but not to cool.

Coffeedave, are you hitting the mark in terms of 25mls in 25-30 seconds? or is it running faster than this? Would you consider the crema quite blond? or is it a dark brown/reddish colour? If the shot is running fast and the colour is fairly blond, then youre probably underextracting the shot. Try for a finer grind to slow down the shot.

With the risk of overloading you with information and things to check, start with that for now.
                  Cheers, I believe Im close to 25mls in 25 secs. Im still playing with the grind, so colour varies. The only thing that has taken some of the sourness away is not tamping too hard. As soon as I try for a firm tamp, I have problems with extraction, and/or a sour tasting coffee.
                  Ill have to get all of the facts this evening, and post them so as to at least provide a baseline.
                  Thanks very much.

Comment

If youre getting 25 in 25 or thereabouts, then look at the pucks afterwards, check for any signs of chanelling, it usually looks like wormholes. Is the puck firm or sloshy?

I didnt see any mention of your grinder type either...

Comment

Channeling in your puck can also cause under extraction and sourness.

Distribute the coffee evenly before brewing.

Comment

Cant you control the temp on 6910? If it is getting too hot when sitting idle then shouldnt you just turn down the brew temp?

Comment

Can we assume firstly that Dave hasnt previously fiddled with the temperature settings.
                          Ive used a 6900 and then a 6910 and had no need to adjust the temp on the 6910 as the taste of the coffee was never sour.

I am also going to assume that the dose and or grind size is the culprit from Daves mentioning that a hard tamp gives him "problems with extraction, and/or a sour tasting coffee".

Dave please elaborate on what you mean by "extraction problems".

When we find out details of your grinder it might be another clue.

I only ever flushed the 6910 as part of my cleanup routine, never as a cooling flush, as its not necessary.

Dave, we await more input.

Comment

Originally posted by 1D213C272D2C3B2E262D490 link=1245987680/15#15 date=1246016963
                            I only ever flushed the 6910 as part of my cleanup routine, never as a cooling flush, as its not necessary.
                            Or desirable...

With Thermoblock machines, flushing through the Group will far exceed the designed heating capacity of the t/block heating system and lead to cooling down the assembly which will result in brew water temperatures that are probably lower than ideal. This will lead to sour tasting shots.... :P

Mal.

Comment

Hi all, Thanks for your postst, Ive included some further information below;

Grinder: Café Series® Conical Burr Coffee Grinder EM0480
                              Beans: Ive tried a variety. Currently using Brazil, Fazenda Kaquend CoE#1 (too expensive, i know..)
                              Pour Time: ~30 secs
                              Colour: begins as a dark drip for 5-10 secs, then becomes a thicker browny-gold slow pour
                              Volume: ~30ml
                              Temperature settings: Ive maxed the steam temp, and reduce steam wetness, and left the brew temp as factory default, as recommended by a few people owning this model of machine.

Thanks again all.

Comment

Working...
                              X