Left over beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left over beans

I havent got round to building my own roaster of any form yet, so purchased a roasted sample pack from Beanbay about 3 weeks ago.
    According to the theory of threes roasted beans last around 3 weeks, and while I am still getting good aeropress coffees from them, I still have over 1/2 of my kilo of beans left (one pack entirely unopened).
    I will carry on using the beans until they become unpalatable, however I would like to know what everyone does with left-over beans? At the rate I am going, it could be another 2 months before I finished them.
    I guess when you have your own roaster, you can tune how much you roast each week to your average usage, and I will soon look to get either a popper or coretto going.
    Id rather not waste a lot of the beans that I will have leftover so does anyone have any suggestions for cooking, baking, etc, or do you just throw them away?

Re: Left over beans

Make up a batch of CP (Cold Press/Process) before they go stale. That way you get another 2-3 weeks of fresh beans.

Java "Hhhmmm....Yummy CP!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Did you see that I experimented with CP on my aeropress last night, or are you reading my mind?
      Will have to research here for a way to do a greater volume than the AP will allow

Linn..."slightly freaked out by JP"...aen

Comment

Originally posted by 313433333C38335D0 link=1247012546/2#2 date=1247014382
        Will have to research here for a way to do a greater volume than the AP will allow
        Just do a big jug and then filter it with a drip filter paper.

Comment

Its the antennae that allow Java "the mind reading alien" to probe all CS members thoughts .. was that in the fine print when we signed up to this site? ;D ;D ;D

As for before I started roasting my own needs (popcorn roaster) .. I use to freeze the beans. The image of the Bloom in the Kyocera thread
          http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1240128496/165#165

was a batch of Coffeesnobs Espresso WOW that had been frozen three months prior, about 3 days post roast. .. read this post:
          http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1240128496/47#47

Comment

Originally posted by 7E7B7C7C73777C120 link=1247012546/2#2 date=1247014382
            Did you see that I experimented with CP on my aeropress last night, or are you reading my mind?

Linn..."slightly freaked out by JP"...aen
            Originally posted by 73674D7620120 link=1247012546/4#4 date=1247016582
            Its the antennae that allow Java "the mind reading alien" to probe all CS members thoughts
            Damn, au_d2 figured it out! Now Ill have to be more careful with them!

Java " ;D " phile

Comment

Originally posted by 644F584F5E4647424B2E0 link=1247012546/1#1 date=1247013902
              Make up a batch of CP (Cold Press/Process) before they go stale. That way you get another 2-3 weeks of fresh beans.
              This is the sort of quality advice only given by a true CP er. The only other thing I can think of is to freeze them. (running for cover) ;D

Comment

Great idea JP, but I only have the kyocera hand grinder. So at 14gms per grind I will have arms the size of the Governators by the time I finish (especially if I try to follow the theory of threes and get it done in 3 minutes).

Comment

If I have beans more than about 4weeks old I grind em up and take em to work and brew the lot up on the dripolator for morning tea. Never any shortage of starters for free dripolator coffee and the Instant drinkers think it is a treat. I call it PR.

Comment

Originally posted by 585D5A5A55515A340 link=1247012546/7#7 date=1247039526
                    So at 14gms per grind I will have arms the size of the Governators by the time I finish (especially if I try to follow the theory of threes and get it done in 3 minutes).
                    Just to make sure of your measurements .. 14grms is if you fill the Kyocera level with the internal "wings". If you fill the whole chamber you will get 20grms (and if you heap it you can get 21grms) per grind.

Comment

au_d2: That much at least was remembered from your very kind after sales service.

Comment

Originally posted by 3C393E3E31353E500 link=1247012546/7#7 date=1247039526
                        Great idea JP, but I only have the kyocera hand grinder. So at 14gms per grind I will have arms the size of the Governators by the time I finish
                        You dont want a fine grind for making CP. It should be on the coarser side. I typically grind almost to what youd use in a (blech!) percolator. That will help the grinding go quicker.

Java "Hurray for CP!" phile

Comment

Working...
                        X