Storage of green beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage of green beans

I have always stored my stash in a cupboard in the kitchen. These were in the original bags that Andy sends out. No problem there...... until the Hottop arrived, no room.
    So I was banished to downstairs in a kitchen come brewery.

This was ok with me but my wife decided to put the bags into plastic containers with the lids on!!!..

Question:

Will the lids on cause any problems, or should I just leave them in the containers with no lids?

Re: Storage of green beans

My recommendation would be to put them back into the cloth bags.

Java "We all gotta breathe" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile link=1138339450/0#1 date=1138353799
      My recommendation would be to put them back into the cloth bags.
      They are still in the cloth bags, but would putting the lid on the plastic container do anything?

Comment

Originally posted by davwhite link=1138339450/0#2 date=1138396585
        They are still in the cloth bags, but would putting the lid on the plastic container do anything?
        Yes, it will prevent them from breathing, potentially leading to mold. Green coffee beans need to be kept in a container that allows free air passage.

Java "Hhmmm...New beans!" phile
        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Thanks mate!

Comment

Agree with Javaphile. The potential for mould is your main concern with the lid on. Some of my beans have been in storage in their original cloth sacks in a cupboard for almost a year, and they still look and taste good.

Robusto

Comment

You know,

Linen cupboards make a great storage area for beans Ive discovered. Temperature and humidity is often very stable since most LCs are sited somewhere in the middle of the house usually. Only problem is of course, the beans have a fragrance of their own and this tends to permeate throughout the entire cupboard, and not impressing ones SO very much in the process.

A good solution though is to look around the house to see if an alternative (dare I say better) location for a new, bigger and better Linen Cupboard can be found. Think of the benefits a new, better cupboard can bring (feel the quality, not the width )... what do you do with the old cupboard? Why, you simply rename it to the Green Bean Storage Facility and then everyones happy (hopefully) ;D

Mal.

Comment

Heres a tip. When green beens are bought and sold, theyre in huge non plastic lined hessian bags. All the way from the other side of the wolrd, and they generally get here in good nik.

If you put them in something that will breath, away from strong smells (My nanas linen cupboard had more moth balls in it than a cave full of moths ;D) out of light if you can, then your beans will be safe.

Boris

Comment

out of light in cool areas green beans will love you

Comment

Originally posted by Boris link=1138339450/0#7 date=1138789780
                    (My nanas linen cupboard had more moth balls in it than a cave full of moths ;D)

Boris
                    Hi Boris,

Luckily, we dont have to worry about moths where we are.... sub-zero winters seem to keep them at bay. Lots of other nasty little buggers around though, various species that seem to think of nothing else than relieving one of ones blood.... and with nine inch teeth to boot (well, maybe not nine inches :-[, but close)

Mal.

Comment

I have got some paper bags to put my green beans in, but they are like the ones you get at your local corner store deli, white sandwich style bags that feel like they have a slightly waxy feel to them.

Does anyone know if this bags are OK to store my greens in or if I am to store them in paper bags do they have to be the brown paper bags you buy at the supermarket?

Comment

Hey Goodies, why dont you store them in the calico (sp?) bags they come in? Thats all I do.

Comment

Ditto Flo. No need to remove them from their original shipped container.

And the bags do breathe. Out! My stash in is the inbuilt wardrobe in the spare bedroom, and the place reeks of green beans. In a few days were going to have a family guest stay there. Hope she loves the aroma.

--Robusto

Comment

I have only got the starter pack as this is my first pick up of green beans. As you know the starter pack is packed with various green beans in plastic bags. I only have the one calico bag it came in so until I start to build my collection of these bags, I need to store the first lot of beans elsewhere out of the plastic bags.

I eventually want to store my beans in a wooden coffee chest of drawers, each drawer having the ability to store the 2.5kg of green beans we order off the Beanbay with about 9 or 12 different drawer compartments with labels on the front.

Sort of like what Veneziano Caffe have got but maybe on a smaller more home use level.

Comment

I keep my starter pack beans in the bags they came in, in the calico bag. So far they seem to be okay.

I do have an issue with Moths in the cupboards and have seen there is a new non toxic anti moth product. Will hunt it down and see if it solves my problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X