Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can i avoid early blonding with fresh coffee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can i avoid early blonding with fresh coffee?

Hey guys,

I love fresh coffee, but being able to give the customer day in day out, a consistently good coffee is a challenge. I get coffee delivered fresh twice a week and while the ristrettos are tasting divine the espresso blondes and loses body very quickly (around the 17ml mark).
    I am using a La San Marco 85-E series paired with a Mazzer Major.
    The baskets are only 53mm (18g doubles) in diameter and thus requires me to down dose and grind finer. Something i am not usually used to.
    I have tried adjusting grinds and tamp pressures, but with no real consistent change.

So, if anyone has any tips on how i could approach this problem, or if you have similar troubles I would love to hear from you.

Cheers,

Ben

Re: How can i avoid early blonding with fresh coffee?

Originally posted by 4F63706C637171020 link=1248170941/0#0 date=1248170941
    I get coffee delivered fresh twice a week and while the ristrettos are tasting divine the espresso blondes and loses body very quickly (around the 17ml mark).

Ok... That implies good beans... But;

1: Do you know the roast date ?
    2: Did this just start to happen ?

Comment

Usually, we get the beans about 3-4 days after roasting. It has been happening since i have been using this setup and coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by 0E22312D223030430 link=1248170941/2#2 date=1248171885
        Usually, we get the beans about 3-4 days after roasting. It has been happening since i have been using this setup and coffee.

So when did you change the set up ?

What was involved..

1: You state USUALLY.... 3-4 post roast.. How do you know ?????

2: You state this set up and coffee ? Does this mean you changed coffe ????

Does this errrrr mean beans / bean supplier as well ?

As your well aware there are many things at play and myself and others can not really comment or provide advice when we only have a little information and even that has assumptions involved.

As GW would say; we need Intelligence and that can only be derived from good information..

Sorry to sound a pain... But just like a home system or even a low end commercial machine...

True blonding (watery) is usually only down to a few things and beans would be one of the biggest causes... Next to Grind and Tamp...

There is a long topic on blonding and some interesting reading to be had for all.

http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-guide-skills.html Thanks Mal

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1242338990/6#6 And again

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1222855075/6#6

Comment

you prob have already but..lock in your handle and before pulling a shot, check out the shower indent. you could be mashing your puck which could lead to channelling...

aaron

Comment

Thanks AM,
            I am new to this cafe and so the setup is new to me. The roast date is on each bag.
            Cheers for the links, ill check them out

Aaron, ill check about that mashing - good tip.

Comment

Working...
            X