Green beans, where do you start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green beans, where do you start?

As someone new to coffee roasting, how do you know what beans from what regions and what part of the world are good?

The more I read and research the more confusing it becomes. Is there a good resource (apart from Coffee Snobs of course) such as a book that breaks the world into regions and disscusses the beans that come from these regions and what they are suited for? How does someone know to blend one type of bean from South America with another from Africa to make a really great blend or is it just a long journey of trial an error?

I realise this is a how long is a piece of string question but a starting point would be great.

Cheers

Re: Green beans, where do you start?

Originally posted by 647176797962030 link=1249559128/0#0 date=1249559128
    As someone new to coffee roasting, how do you know what beans from what regions and what part of the world are good?
    Its complex. But there is an easy way...put your trust in Andy and buy your greens from beanbay.

The more I read and research the more confusing it becomes.
    Stop reading. Jump in and do it. Take plenty of your own notes.

Is there a good resource (apart from Coffee Snobs of course) such as a book that breaks the world into regions and disscusses the beans that come from these regions and what they are suited for?
    If there is, it would be out of date as one crop varies from another. You could generalise and say one region produces beans that are acidic, spicy, etc. but then that information isnt as useful as your own palate.

How does someone know to blend one type of bean from South America with another from Africa to make a really great blend or is it just a long journey of trial an error?
    You cant become a Michelin star chef overnight. Start with single origins and get to know each one. You might like them just the way they are and never feel a need to blend. On the other hand, once you know what it is in particular you like about one bean, then blending can be complementary....like bacon and eggs!

Most importantly, stretch some boundaries, and have fun with it!!!

Comment

Ive been roasting for two years now and still get enough enjoyment out of Single Origins without having to worry about blending.

You may end up being able to tell which beans go well together without anyone telling you.

The journey is part of the fun.

I also believe that you need to understand the SOs first anyway before you can understand blending.

Comment

I have started with single origin and cant actually bring myself to do a blend roast as Im afraid nothing will beat single origin roasts, or some of them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 5B4B58405456575D390 link=1249559128/3#3 date=1251368966
          I have started with single origin and cant actually bring myself to do a blend roast as Im afraid nothing will beat single origin roasts, or some of them anyway.
          i normally only do SO roasts but after reading one of the blending threads i tried a 3rd mik of kenyan, colombian and indonesian.
          Came out quite OK.
          When i get an opportunity i will do separate roasts and then try some blending and see what happens.

Mal

Comment

What dennis said. Andy cups all the beans before they go in the green bean store to make sure they are up to his standards.

In the end let your taste guide you.
            I just wrote a summary of differnt region characteristics based on my own taste and roasting technique but thought better of it.

Comment

Originally posted by 764A574C464750454D46220 link=1249559128/2#2 date=1249564828
              Ive been roasting for two years now and still get enough enjoyment out of Single Origins without having to worry about blending.

You may end up being able to tell which beans go well together without anyone telling you.

The journey is part of the fun.

I think that is what is all about, have fun is not right or wrong and enjoy

Renzo

Comment

Working...
              X