Clear All

• AASCA Comps - 2009-2010

AustralAsian Specialty Coffee Association

South Australia
    Thursday 10th - Friday 11th September 2009
    Cup Tasting, Latte Art, Barista Championships
    Royal Adelaide Show, Goodwood Road, Wayville

Victoria
    Saturday 26th September 2009 Latte Art & Cuptasting (who the hell schedules an event on Grand Final day in Victoria?!?!)
    Sunday 27th September 2009 Barista Comp
    Royal Melbourne Show, Epsom Road, Ascot Vale, Melbourne
    (maybe including Tassie too???)

New South Wales
    October 24, 2009
    AIR, Unit 3, 8 BONZ Close,
    Seven Hills NSW

Western Australia
    November 7th and 8th 2009
    Mt Hawthorn Community Hall, Scarborough Beach Rd, Mt Hawthorn, WA

Australian Capital Territory
    November 21, 2009

Queensland
    December 12, 2009

Australian National Finals
    29,30,31 January 2010

Gold Coast Convention Centre, Queensland, Australia
    Cup Tasting, Latte Art, Coffee in Good Spirits, Barista Championships

See the below link for details on the 2010 Nationals:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1262094027

Re: AASCA Comps - 2009-2010

The SA running sheet for the Barista comp on Thursday 10th looks something like:

9:45am
    Mike Wells
    Tori Purcell
    Anthony Seal
    Fiefy Anuwatanaphorn
    Stefan Georgiou
    Ibrahim Yu
    Sean Payne
    Michelle Scuteri
    Alex Anaf
    Mark Barun  (hmmm... a very similar name to CSr Coffee Barun )
    Tim Watts
    Alex Morabito
    Kye Elliott-Moyle
    Mark Bowler
    Adam Armstrong
    Blake Chen
    Evan Johnson
    Christine Meek
    17:00pm

A really HUGE field, may everyone have fun and pull great shots on the day.
    8-)

Comment

hi andy, i am looking forward to
      The Australian Pura/National Foods Latte Art Championship VIC State Heat,
      would you be able to tell me The signature beverage mean out own design latter art beverage?

Comment

Yes, thats pretty much it Ho Man Lam.
        AASCA follow the WBC rules and they say:

2.2.3 Signature Beverage
        A. A signature beverage is a freestyle espresso-based beverage created by the competitor.

B. It should be a beverage; the judges must be able to drink it.

C. Each of the four signature beverages must contain a minimum of one espresso shot.

D. The espresso must be prepared during the competitor’s performance time.

E. A dominant taste of espresso must be present.

F. The signature beverage can be any temperature.

G. Any ingredients may be used in the signature beverage with the exception of alcohol, alcohol extracts
        or by-products, or illegal substances.

H. The components of the signature drink should preferably be produced during the competition, i.e., the
        signature beverage ingredients should be assembled on-site during the competition time.

I. All ingredients must be disclosed upon request. Competitors must bring the original bottles and/or
        packaging of all ingredients used in his/her signature beverage.

J. No ingredients or substances other than ground coffee may be placed in the portafilters.

You can find the whole set of rules on:

http://www.worldbaristachampionship.com/pdf/2009_WBC_Rules_and_Regulations.pdf

Make sure you read it! Often competition is won and lost due to someone not knowing the rules. If you get stuck on something in the rule book ask here and someone should be able to help out.

8-)

Comment

Thanks Andy for the updates

The AASCA website is updated with all the information regarding the Victorian Competition.  Closing date for entries is September the 11th, information session for all attending the show Saturday the 12th 4pm at the show ground off langs road main admin building.  The information session is scheduled so that everyone involved clearly understands the bump in procedures for all their gear, gates to enter, getting passes for entry, prep areas as this year we have 2 preparation areas to better house competitor set ups.  It will not be a case of rocking up on the day 1 hour before competing, the show has some protocols we need to adhere to to make sure it goes smoothly.
          Tom Beaumont is the contact for all Volunteers and anyone who wants to help out and also all competitors and communication in general.  His details are located in the news item listed on the aasca page.  For all membership enquiries use the query form on the website.  
          Vic Judges calibration is scheduled for Saturday the 19th  @ Grinders HQ Training room.  Costs are $50 for past judges and $100 for new judges, these are reduced costs on previous years which is great.  For all judges you must undergo a calibration or you cannot judge.

At this stage (Victoria) Saturday will most likely stage the Latte Art and Cup Tasting and Sunday will be the Barista competition.  Its a tough date but we have to go with the support the show offers us at this stage.  We understand the difficulties and hope you can forgive us  :

Many thanks again for the support of Coffee Snobs in getting the word out.

All the best,

Ross

Comment

but i thought the Latte Art Championship , is only for barista to show the latte art skill .?? so the The signature beverage in Latte Art Championship, is the same as Barista Championship >>?

Comment

Ho Man Lam,

check the following link for rules to http://www.scae-championships.com/downloads/docs/WLAC-2009-Rules-English.pdf latte art

Comment

so is there any links>>? or website, so i could have an idea of what other people did before??

Comment

Originally posted by 2E2D232A792E2D232A794F0 link=1251120656/7#7 date=1251599658
                  so is there any links>>? or website, so i could have an idea of what other people did before??  
                  I have heard that there is a really good website (not too far away) that is perfect for finding this sort of thing.

In fact they have a pile of pictures from the last World Latte Art contest in Germany including close-ups of most of the best sig drinks and the pictures that were given to the judges.

Try this site:
                  http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1244561541

(search is your friend)
                  8-)

Comment

I have sent an email off to Tom.

Andy, I am happy to volunteer beside you again this year, if you need an assistant. ;D

-Linda

Comment

Can we go watch these (NSW)? How do we find out where they are?

thanks

Comment

do you know if we can bring our own milk jug on the Latte Art Championship ?

Comment

Originally posted by 75595B5B594B675B50515B5359380 link=1251120656/9#9 date=1251801843
                          Andy, I am happy to volunteer beside you again this year, if you need an assistant.
                          An assistant to watch the footy?  Sure!
                          ;D

Grand Final day is already booked for me so I wont be there sadly.  Im a bit out of the ASSCA* loop this year but Im sure there will be plenty of things for CSrs to do if they want to get involved (and if they dont like footy)  

Originally posted by 765D755D6B516B380 link=1251120656/10#10 date=1251813414
                          Can we go watch these (NSW)? How do we find out where they are?
                          Yes, watching (or even better lending a hand in running the show) is certainly encouraged.  We will post details as we know em.  Last time (or was that the time before) they were held at Ultimo Tafe.

ASSCA* -- see the current cover of Bean Scene for the AASCA / ASSCA freudian typo - **cack**

Comment

Hee, hee!  I hadnt noticed that one before, well spotted!

;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 406F6578010 link=1251120656/12#12 date=1251819953
                              An assistant to watch the footy?  Sure!
                              ;D
                              Only if Geelong are there!!! ;D ;D

Thats ok, I am sure Ross will find something for me to do.

-Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X