Home processing from tree to cup....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home processing from tree to cup....

My daughters friends father has a tree and picked enough for about 100gm after drying. Should have taken pics from the start, will do so ifi we do this again. Firstly, pulped and fermented the original cherries. Then about ten days drying, now posted is the result after hulling. Will be roasting tomorrow, will take another shot then.

A slight tangent, how do we terll the difference between Robusta and Arabica? I read that the Robusta cherry when ripe is consistent in size, as opposed to varied sizes in the Arabica.

Just as an aside.....these were hulled by hand

Re: Home processing from tree to cup....

Im hoping to do the same.
    My two trees are about 2.5 years old now.
    No fruit yet.

Comment

Yeah TG, twas a labour intensive but enjoyable process. I just put the ripe cherries in a bucket, and used a piece of board, about 15mm thick, about 8 inches wide, and just pulped em.

I have a number of oleanders at the front of my place which I have been planning to remove, was looking for a potential replacement...looks like I may have found it.   A dozen coffee trees  as a hedge  8-)

I havent seen my mates tree so dont know the size of it....but this was the crop from one tree....

Here is a link to home processing I found quite helpful

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/horticulture/5471.html

Comment

Thats awesome man! Maybe take a pic of the tree and maybe someone might be able to identify the species.

Comment

Originally posted by 7A66667962030 link=1251367805/3#3 date=1251372295
          Thats awesome man! Maybe take a pic of the tree and maybe someone might be able to identify the species.
          Yeah mate, going to get my daughters friend to take a piccie of the tree...roasted, the beans are a consistent size approx. 1 to 2 mm in length shorter than normal beans. I had taken a couple of pics today of the comparison but a little out of focus, couldnt be bothered redoing.

Have attached a piccie of the roasted results....using the HT, was into FC at about 10 mins and 190 deg., and through pretty quickly.

Comment

Hi madpierre06!!!

Good job on the hand processing and the roast looks good enough to drink

As for identifying it for you... i can have a guess?
            I would say it is either K7 arabica or Catui bourbon.. looks very similar to what i grow but the size of the bean tell me its probably the K7 as the CRB is usually a smaller bean.
            The K7 is a taller generally lighter colored plant and the Catui is a shorter, more dense and usually darker in color plant.

Arabica of course... As far as i know Robusta is essentially outlawed in Australia?
            Yes coffee does make a good hedge...allow around 3 years of good growing for it make a good hedge shape though and make sure it gets plenty of morning sun...after noon sun up north can be a little harsh so afternoon shade will be good for it but it will grow either way
            Hope the fruits of your labor are sweet!

Comment

Thanks Luke. Ill hopefully have a piccie of said tree in next coupla days, I havent actually seen it. The roasted beans themselves were smaller than a Tanzanian Tunduru AA...and very consistent in size.

Ive got some green beans there that came along for the ride, am going to have a shot at maybe getting some seedlings going from those. Scary where this may lead...... : Where they would be planted faces the east, so that sounds ideal for morning sun.

Comment

Two or three days poast roast, some very fethcing aromas coming from the bag. Was a little off originally and a day after, but this morning it seems to be coming along nicely. Am holding off tasting , going to do the right thing and bring daughters friends parents over so they can try it, probably middle to late next week..not sure how many coffees Ill get out of 75gm.

. Talking to him this morning, he has still got about twice this quantity on the tree, that is lobbing here Tuesday...will take some piccies of the entire process step by step this time to post a pictorial update.

The oleanders WILL be going..... 8-)

Comment

Well done, I am very jealous. Are your thumbs still sore from the hulling?

It would be interesting to find out what cultivar they are. I think that Mundo Novo was one cultivar that was planted in Australia at some stage and, from memory it has smaller and more rounded beans. Of course, trying to guess cultivar from the photos above is pretty near impossible!

Cheers,
                  Luca

Comment

Originally posted by 29302624450 link=1251367805/8#8 date=1251607135
                    Well done, I am very jealous.  Are your thumbs still sore from the hulling?

It would be interesting to find out what cultivar they are.  I think that Mundo Novo was one cultivar that was planted in Australia at some stage and, from memory it has smaller and more rounded beans.  Of course, trying to guess cultivar from the photos above is pretty near impossible!

Cheers,
                    Luca
                    Cheers Luca....ah yes, my thumbs Theyre not too bad actually, would just have the bowl sitting with me whilst watching TV, or on the PC, so didnt have to think about it too much. It was surprising how quick it seemed to happen. Im hoping to have tree piccies in next couple days.

Its scary what you think of upon waking, this evening after I woke up all I could think of was possibilities as to how to set up a home processing station..... A bigger bucket (sorry, pulping bin) for a start, gloing to head to a local Steptoe & Son during the week, see what hes got laying around.

Comment

hoping to do the same one day, and grow some soybeans while Im at it so I can make a soy latte from the ground up ;D

Comment

coupla cows in the backyard ;D

Comment

Ok, having seen the tree today have the best piccie of it up now...not sure if that will be sufficient to identify it. I certainly was much mistaken about the crop from it...with still plenty more left on said tree, I have more that I picked today with his help. And prob. one more lot to come.

Comment

Plus two more shots....the latest crop, and my patented pulping station

Comment

And the pulpng station....we will be taste testing the first roasted batch next week, so will try and give a decent report on that, maybe a pour shot or two.

Comment

Working...
                              X