Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing with variables - its important! duh!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Playing with variables - its important! duh!

    Hello all,

    I want to share something that has finally sunk in to my skull after all this time, Ive heard it time and time again here at CS, "adjust grind, adjust brew temp, adjust tamp to get the most out of your beans etc etc etc" well, what i have done in the past is to, roast a bean, find a grind that will deliver 25 ml in 30 secs, with a consistent tamp pressure of about 10kg, and left it at that, what ended up in the cup was the result...... the only variable on taste was the age in days post roast...
    Now i bought some Honduras from Di Bella a couple of months ago, and i found it lacked body and acidity, very boring in milk.....and as an espresso for that matter, i roasted my last 400g of it about 9 days ago and thought, i am going to use this batch purely as an experiment....

    Optimum grind for my standard tamp of around 10kgs was setting 3 on the rocky..... this delivered 25mls in 30 secs,from this i did the following;

    Temp 109C
    Shot 1
    grind setting 0
    very light tamp

    Shot 2
    grind setting 1
    light/medium tamp pressure

    Shot 3
    grind setting 2
    medium tamp

    Shot 4
    grind setting 3
    normal heavy tamp

    I lined the shots up and tasted them one by one.....

    I know all the experienced guys and gals know how important this is but, i suppose this post is to emphasize how important it is to newbs like me, here are the results.....

    Shot 1, great acidity, quite fruity, no overwhelming body that cuts out the flavour, but plenty of depth

    Shot 2, less acidity, started to lose fruity flavour, body increased, woody

    Shot 3 and 4, wood wood wood, no complexity, very gassy flavour, yuk

    What i then did was to repeat Shot 1 with a higher boiler temp, this time 111C.....wow! beautiful, full of fruit, good body, very easy to drink.

    I poured another in milk this time and the acid cut throught to make an amazing latte, so happy to turn this boring bean into something truly special,

    Now what i will do is, with every new bean i roast, i will repeat this process to get the most out of that particular bean, i love this hobby!




  • #2
    Re: Playing with variables - its important! duh!

    Originally posted by 6A6E485151544B5C533D0 link=1251782542/0#0 date=1251782542
    Hello all,

    I want to share something that has finally sunk in to my skull after all this time, Ive heard it time and time again here at CS, "adjust grind, adjust brew temp, adjust tamp to get the most out of your beans etc etc etc" well, what i have done in the past is to, roast a bean, find a grind that will deliver 25 ml in 30 secs, with a consistent tamp pressure of about 10kg, and left it at that, what ended up in the cup was the result...... the only variable on taste was the age in days post roast...
    Now i bought some Honduras from Di Bella a couple of months ago, and i found it lacked body and acidity, very boring in milk.....and as an espresso for that matter, i roasted my last 400g of it about 9 days ago and thought, i am going to use this batch purely as an experiment....

    Optimum grind for my standard tamp of around 10kgs was setting 3 on the rocky..... this delivered 25mls in 30 secs,from this i did the following;

    Temp 109C
    Shot 1
    grind setting 0
    very light tamp

    Shot 2
    grind setting 1
    light/medium tamp pressure

    Shot 3
    grind setting 2
    medium tamp

    Shot 4
    grind setting 3
    normal heavy tamp

    I lined the shots up and tasted them one by one.....

    I know all the experienced guys and gals know how important this is but, i suppose this post is to emphasize how important it is to newbs like me, here are the results.....

    Shot 1, great acidity, quite fruity, no overwhelming body that cuts out the flavour, but plenty of depth

    Shot 2, less acidity, started to lose fruity flavour, body increased, woody

    Shot 3 and 4, wood wood wood, no complexity, very gassy flavour, yuk

    What i then did was to repeat Shot 1 with a higher boiler temp, this time 111C.....wow! beautiful, full of fruit, good body, very easy to drink.

    I poured another in milk this time and the acid cut throught  to make an amazing latte, so happy to turn this boring bean into something truly special,

    Now what i will do is, with every new bean i roast, i will repeat this process to get the most out of that particular bean, i love this hobby!  



    Well done... Now just remember that every day the beans will change yet again and buy the end; you may require a different setting... To get teh most from your cup

    Thus, for those with bulk beans and a reasonable through put, they can check and adjust as they go... For us small fry... It is a matter of understanding that things change and then depending on Beans etc... Make a best guesstmate or two and keep some sort of record..

    Well done..

    I have found that I often get : wood wood wood, no complexity, very gassy flavour, yuk but more often when my beans are still young ;D Then again.. Maybe I just need to adjust my method to compensate

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Playing with variables - its important! duh!

      Cheers AM, age of beans is the only real variable Ive been using, besides the roasting itself of coarse, I read a post by 2mcm about e61 brewing tips that hit home on how to taste for acidity and sourness, where on the tongue it hits and it got me thinking, ps keep it quiet AM but I think Ill be lookin to upgrade soon to! Shhhhh dont tell the missus

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Playing with variables - its important! duh!

        Originally posted by 5F5B7D6464617E6966080 link=1251782542/2#2 date=1251798915
        Cheers AM, age of beans is the only real variable Ive been using, besides the roasting itself of coarse, I read a post by 2mcm about e61 brewing tips that hit home on how to taste for acidity and sourness, where on the  tongue it hits and it got me thinking, ps keep it quiet AM but I think Ill be lookin to upgrade soon to! Shhhhh dont tell the missus
        Interesting how one small thing can be a trigger..

        Could be something that makes you look at your tamping method or something that makes

        you think of UPGRADING


        Its ok... your with friends and we wont tell any one else about your plan to

        UPGRADE

        So what ya looking at ????

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Playing with variables - its important! duh!

          Hahahaha AM your a stira!

          And good luck breaking the news to the partner Sully... that didnt go so well for me Somehow she found out while she was on holidays in south America and that warranted a phone call home to bust my proverbial you know whats!
          Im sure i can ease her mind once she tastes what comes out of it though(the machine that is! )

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Playing with variables - its important! duh!

            Thanks for being descrete AM, i know i can always count on you , nah all good, she will love the taste, but its getting it to the point where the machine is actually sitting on the bench to enable the facilitation of that tasty beverage! thats the hard bit! batting eyelids doesnt work for us blokes! 8-)

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Playing with variables - its important! duh!

              Originally posted by 0501273E3E3B24333C520 link=1251782542/5#5 date=1252057536
              Thanks for being descrete AM, i know i can always count on you , nah all good, she will love the taste, but its getting it to the point where the machine is actually sitting on the bench to enable the facilitation of that tasty beverage! thats the hard bit! batting eyelids doesnt work for us blokes! 8-)
              Look what ever happens... Just blame it on ME... She has seen the way I carry on and treat my wife etc...

              You must look like a saint ;D

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Playing with variables - its important! duh!

                Your all talk AM!, your prolly the softest little bunny when the boys arent there ;D

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Playing with variables - its important! duh!

                  Originally posted by 4541677E7E7B64737C120 link=1251782542/5#5 date=1252057536
                  batting eyelids doesnt work for us blokes!
                  Works for me.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Playing with variables - its important! duh!

                    Originally posted by 427E6378727364717972160 link=1251782542/8#8 date=1252066571
                    Originally posted by 4541677E7E7B64737C120 link=1251782542/5#5 date=1252057536
                    batting eyelids doesnt work for us blokes!
                    Works for me.
                    So what are you saying ???
                    ;D

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Playing with variables - its important! duh!

                      Originally posted by 557A73716659757A75737179717A60140 link=1251782542/9#9 date=1252116356
                      So what are you saying ???
                      Dont generalise.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X