Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Coffee - Doco

Hi all

On discovery travel and living on Foxtel they have been showing a documentary (part of a series I think) about coffee and its origins. Very interesting! Episode I saw was how the seed was discovered and cultivated in different parts of the world.

It is called Black Coffee. I have only managed to see 1 episode and was wondering if anyone knew if it was actually part of a series. I would like to get my hands on a copy.

Re: Black Coffee - Doco

Originally posted by 5F505A4C5B5F4D5C3E0 link=1252380399/0#0 date=1252380399
    Hi all

On discovery travel and living on Foxtel they have been showing a documentary (part of a series I think) about coffee and its origins.  Very interesting!  Episode I saw was how the seed was discovered and cultivated in different parts of the world.

It is called Black Coffee.  I have only managed to see 1 episode and was wondering if anyone knew if it was actually part of a series. I would like to get my hands on a copy.
    Yes Andreas. Its in 3 parts and was first screened a few years ago.

You might find a copy at Dymocks (as a potential starting point)..

2mcm

Comment

Originally posted by 656A607661657766040 link=1252380399/0#0 date=1252380399
      Hi all

On discovery travel and living on Foxtel they have been showing a documentary (part of a series I think) about coffee and its origins.  Very interesting!  Episode I saw was how the seed was discovered and cultivated in different parts of the world.

It is called Black Coffee.  I have only managed to see 1 episode and was wondering if anyone knew if it was actually part of a series. I would like to get my hands on a copy.
      This was covered on a post about a year ago
      Yes it is part of a series of 3
      I believe that last year one could purchase the DVD from SBS
      KK

Comment

Sorry I only just got Foxtel. Should have done a search first.

It is good watching either way lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 3738322433372534560 link=1252380399/3#3 date=1252381214
          Sorry I only just got Foxtel.  Should have done a search first.

It is good watching either way lol.
          No need to be sorry
          Its the first time you have come across it ;D & others may not know about it until now

KK

Comment

Excellent Documentary!!!

Same as you i caught the last half of episode 2 a few years ago and went looking for it.
            I only came across a copy at the local ABC(?) store i think it was last year for $39. It had been on "hold" for 2 years apparently when i rolled up and flashed the cash.

I would burn a copy for you but im not into pirace im sorry
            I have changed a lot of people points of view towards coffee just by showing them this doco.

Worth any price that is being asked for it!

Comment

Thanks Luke, I did some late night searching and found a site where I could buy a copy, it was ABC shop online lol. Its going for $34.95 if anyone is interested.

Comment

Bought it a few weeks ago from JB HiFi for $30

The DVD box is labelled SBS

Really a great doco

Comment

I got the set a while ago and have just watched it again. It is staggering to think the world is awash with so much very low grade beans. I find it a bit scary really. The stuff nightmears are made of. The DVD makes you think about your own coffee journey - first the instant, then a better instant, then percolator, then dripolator, then plunger, etc. I loved the bit about the American coffee company that used to "pre-stale" the ground coffee before packing so that it wouldnt blow up the tins.

Comment

I was just thinking about the last disc of this 3-part series. Starbucks features heavily in this part and it looks like a Starbucks promo after a while. There is some criticism of the chain but in the main it is presented in a positive way with lots of repetition of the name & logo.
                    There is a strong advocacy for Fair Trade coffee in the series, and this is contrasted with an alternate approach based on a fixed price strategy (independent of supply & price fluctuations) that is operated by one particular grower .
                    The focus on Starbucks seems to be justified on the basis of its position as the worlds biggest coffee chain. What did other CSers think about this.

Comment

Working...
                    X