Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you Do or Talk about over coffee ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you Do or Talk about over coffee ?

I was working teh other day ( For a change) and while doing some paper work in the coffee shop ( Medical facility). I had the pleasure of observe a large number of people pass through the place....

What intrigued me was how people to day spent their time.. Even when one is relaxing...

Here is two pics about 10min apart... 25 min later it had not changed other than a few grunts and the swapping of phones..

Where is DARWIN when ya need him...

PS.. Any n8umbe of others doing just the same... No hub of noise and or chatter... Just KP clicks and ring tones

Re: What do you Do or Talk about over coffee ?

Honestly...

Where was that thread about our "growing" population??

Heres a good case for it...and why... :

Comment

Yes I will agree that this is sad on more than one level, but your target demographic example is a little too obvious in their laisse fair appearance. Show me some buff young nubile 20 somethings in similar pose and I will be truely dismayed. Or perhaps this is your point? Perhaps in the digital age we have neglected real talk, and real interaction for that which is easily dismissed when it doesnt x
      suit us. Do we prefer to be challenged and inspired only on our own terms and with the safety of knowing that we have the remote control at the ready? My wife today cried watching an emailed video of a large group of people dancing a choreographed sequence to doh a deer in a Belgium railway station (it is on You Tube of course). When she asked me why did I think that she could be so moved the answer was obvious: in this day and age the idea that people come together with an artistic goal and endeavour meerly to uplift the human spirit is truely beautiful. The collective good shared digitally is a welcome change to all of the mundane, tragic and wierd that we are bombarded with by the contemporary media. We continue to read News.com, watch Today Tonight and support tabloid journalism and yet, it contributes nothing other than reporting stuff.. Where is the joy? Where is the inspiration and the great endeavour of the human spirit in these media?

If our digital media encouraged personal growth and inspired than perhaps these people wouldnt be so static. If our digital time-savers were truely life enhancing tools these people would be afforded the opportunity to switch the bloody things off and meaningfully engage with each other and their surroundings!

Comment

Originally posted by 5A4A5D4C4C0A0B08000F0B380 link=1254488440/2#2 date=1254490442
        Yes I will agree that this is sad on more than one level, but your target demographic example is a little too obvious in their laisse fair appearance.  Show me some buff young nubile 20 somethings in similar pose and I will be truely dismayed.  Or perhaps this is your point?  Perhaps in the digital age we have neglected real talk, and real interaction for that which is easily dismissed when it doesnt x
        suit us.  Do we prefer to be challenged and inspired only on our own terms and with the safety of knowing that we have the remote control at the ready?  My wife today cried watching an emailed video of a large group of people dancing a choreographed sequence to doh a deer in a Belgium railway station (it is on You Tube of course). When she asked me why did I think that she could be so moved the answer was obvious: in this day and age the idea that people come together with an artistic goal and endeavour meerly to uplift the human spirit is truely beautiful.  The collective good shared digitally is a welcome change to all of the mundane, tragic and wierd that we are bombarded with by the contemporary media.  We continue to read News.com, watch Today Tonight and support tabloid journalism and yet, it contributes nothing other than reporting stuff.. Where is the joy? Where is the inspiration and the great endeavour of the human spirit in these media?  

If our digital media encouraged personal growth and inspired than perhaps these people wouldnt be so static.  If our digital time-savers were truely life enhancing tools these people would be afforded the opportunity to switch the bloody things off and meaningfully engage with each other and their surroundings!
        Yep... At home (unless on CALL) the rule is NO Phones etc during dinner etc.. And where ever possible we eat at the table in teh Kitchen to remove other distractions.. Good old fashioned chit chat can be good....

Some times my Wife even indicates that if I keep it up... I could get lucky...

Comment

If it was me Id probably be using the phone to read CS.

Comment

Originally posted by 1A263B202A2B3C29212A4E0 link=1254488440/4#4 date=1254491859
            If it was me Id probably be using the phone to read CS
            Of course ;D

CB

Comment

Looks like a game pf "spot the differences" here ...and so far I can only spot about 2......kinda sad reflection of life today really, even if they are resting a moment they havent actually moved ...

Comment

Originally posted by 636661637F76130 link=1254488440/6#6 date=1254640971
                Looks like a game pf "spot the differences" here ...and so far I can only spot about 2......kinda sad reflection of life today really, even if they are resting a moment they havent actually moved  ...

They grunted.. had the odd chuckle and on two occasions the far two moved and swapped phones... Then grunted and returned phones...

As I said after 30 plus min... I could not believe it..

I wanted to BT hack them all... But bugger I was using a Work iPHONE... Friggen crippled pice of crap..

I need a real phone with real functionality including real apps management... HTC for me..

Sorry... Got off topic

Comment

Nothing personal but, it looks like a group waiting for an interview for The Biggest Looser
                  And doing a good job of it
                  I like that show
                  Sorry I am not a shock jock

KK

Comment

Funnily enough, I talk about coffee, over coffee in a coffee bar with people who are in the coffee business.

Comment

50cents on the fact that they were texting eachother?

Comment

Originally posted by 30060D02170C11630 link=1254488440/10#10 date=1254703155
                        50cents on the fact that they were texting each other?
                        Im not taking that--it sounds like a sucker bet to me.

As to what I talk about/do over coffee:
                        The talk could be about anything.
                        My most common task would be casenotes at work or CoffeeSnobs at home. ;D

Greg

Comment

So the sad story here is that before we had our own shiny espresso machine we (Mrs CI and I) would sit down at the local coffee establisment and catch up with the news and what the little images were up to at school, ballet and the like. Now that we have had our shiny toys I make great coffee and then pass it to my wife as she passes through the kitchen on the way to do something else.
                          We noticed we were not catching up as often so still need to find time for that. We also sit at the kitchen table at the evening meal time with the whole family (when we are all there) and although the conversation usually involves eat your tea with your knife and fork and stop talkiing so much etc it is stll a place where the other distractions are removed and we spend time as a family. We still go out for coffee on the odd ocation just to know how lucky we are to be able to make great coffee.
                          I could go on for longer but I think I have said enough for now.
                          Regards
                          Crisp Image

Comment

Originally posted by 22130812113E080C000604610 link=1254488440/12#12 date=1255080389
                            So the sad story here is that before we had our own shiny espresso machine we (Mrs CI and I) would sit down at the local coffee establisment and catch up with the news and what the little images were up to at school, ballet and the like. Now that we have had our shiny toys I make great coffee and then pass it to my wife as she passes through the kitchen on the way to do something else.

We noticed we were not catching up as often so still need to find time for that. We also sit at the kitchen table at the evening meal time with the whole family (when we are all there) and although the conversation usually involves eat your tea with your knife and fork and stop talkiing so much etc it is stll a place where the other distractions are removed and we spend time as a family. We still go out for coffee on the odd ocation just to know how lucky we are to be able to make great coffee.

I could go on for longer but I think I have said enough for now.
                            Regards
                            Crisp Image  
                            Crisp... Sort of teh same here... But we have always sat at the table as a family for dinner... Never in the lounge or in front of the TV.

We still try to go out for coffee and a snack.. But we have become very disappointed that often we will go and eat, but come home for teh coffee..

We try to share teh making of coffe etc and attempt to then take that 5 to 10 min to drink it together and to chat.. Yes the real question one of "Is life faster today or is it that we have post patience and expect too much too soon. ? "

I must send a letter to England and might think of going for a visit... I now have to wait for 9 to 12 months for the sailing boat to get the mail there and back.. Then it may take me a year to get there ...

OH what BLISS...

Comment

We always have the evening meal as a family, though the time varies vastly depending on what time all members will be present!!
                              The espresso machine gets plenty of demand from discerning family members. We quite often go out for coffee and cake (my wife considers having coffee without cake as a non-event). I have been nominated as the cafe researcher and it is up to me to find the good ones, most of the time I get it right but if the cakes arent up to standard I get a tirade of complaints!! Such is the burden of being a Coffeesnob!! : :

Comment

Working...
                              X