Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third wave coffee in The Age

Just browsing The Age web site and found this article:-

http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/epicure/2009/10/12/1255195738731.html

Re: Third wave coffee in The Age

I just saw this too. :

Cash for comment anyone? There is an article like this about St.Ali about once a fortnight. This was more an advertorial then it was a story about the growing thirdwave coffee movement.

Furthemore I cant say I ever realised that I needed to have tatts and ride a fixy to be a coffee geek. I better put those on my to do list. :-?

Comment

Its in the ENTERTAINMENT section.
      Yawn.

Next.

Comment

In their defence at least they are out there pushing the boundries of what the general public know (or think they do)

Comment

St Ali are just being media savvy. Creating news its a lot easier to write about than covering news that may occur (its a lot cheaper too) and St Ali certainly have a chic and hipster like culture to be publish worthy (of the age) so both parties win.

Comment

Just because it makes business sense for both parties involved does not make it a worthy story, especially when "the age" have provided coverage about St.Ali on numerous other occcasion.

For me its just feels a somewhat repetitive story.

Comment

Glad im not the only one who thinks St Ali are getting very, very favourable coverage by the Age.

Will be referred to Media Watch.

Comment

You guys can be a tough crowd sometimes. I would rather St.Ali got some press than giving it to some random coffee chain who buy full age ads.

This part of the story was more interesting than the standard (required?) reporter banter that the article started with.

Last month, Malatesta opened Outpost, an, er, outpost of St Ali in South Yarra, a locale that was crying out for good coffee. Fitted out in the same laboratory style as St Ali, the tiny cafe is quickly finding a keen following. Next month, the latest arm of St Ali, the Sensory Lab, is set to open in David Jones in the city. The Sensory Lab will differ from St Ali and Outpost in that the focus will be primarily on the beans. More Sensory Labs are planned for Australia and overseas, and Malatesta aims to set up St Ali hubs in Sydney, Tokyo, New York and London.

No one can accuse Malatesta of taking his tucker lightly. Next year, hes launching The Plantation in Myer, where food will be provided by a yet-to-be announced chef and paired with coffee from St Ali in the manner of a high tea - high coffee, if you will.

Big plans and a lot of hard work ahead. I tip my hat to the guys and gals with a vision and the passion to spread the good word on coffee from a back lane in South Melbourne to the centre of town and then the world.

Kudos.

Comment

Originally posted by 78575D40390 link=1255337708/7#7 date=1255360210
                  I tip my hat to the guys and gals with a vision and the passion to spread the good word on coffee from a back lane in South Melbourne to the centre of town and then the world.

Kudos.
                  Pinky: Gee, Brain. What are we going to do tonight?
                  The Brain: The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world.

Comment

so I guess we have to add 3rd Wave coffee purveyors to the list of people who have control of the media? :

Seriously, at least the Age is interested in reporting on coffee. If Mr Malatesta happens to have a good PR agent who always says yes when asked for a quote and also makes sure that media outlets are informed of any developments within the St Ali business and media outlets are taking up the opportunity of reporting on it how is that a bad thing?

Good on St Ali for growing their business and I wish them luck in their continued success. Im excited about the idea of the Sensory Lab and what is a clear effort on their part to take good coffee out of the back lane roastery and into the mainstream market.

Comment

.. just wish it was in Sydney instead of Melb, myself

I just have an issue with the first/second/third wave thing at the moment. Were probably on wave 246 right now - coffee has been around a looonnng time.

Comment

Originally posted by 5D7278651C0 link=1255337708/7#7 date=1255360210
                        You guys can be a tough crowd sometimes.
                        No, I think youre too forgiving.

1. St Ali became famous not because of its current owners. Those people have moved onto such places like Seven Seeds.
                        2. St Ali is clearly getting favourable press.

Complaint already lodged with Media Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by 545558505A51390 link=1255337708/11#11 date=1255421502

1. St Ali became famous not because of its current owners. Those people have moved onto such places like Seven Seeds.

It might not have sounded like it but my "cash for comment" comment was tongue in cheek. I think its more a case of lazy journalism, St. Ali are a contact, The Age got sent a press release about opening up new stores and decided to run a full article on "Third wave" coffee rather then simply mentioning it in "the Ages" "Espresso" column on hospitality industry news.

Perhaps I just never noticed it but Its kind of interesting that this kind of news is getting more attention lately. The move of Vue de Monde to Rialto towers also got some mainstream press recently.

Comment

So much great coffee in Melbourne and the Age has no idea where else to go.
                            Third wave is such a stupid term. I was over naked portafilters a long time ago and now its cool because of Slayer....Please!!!

Third wave has a bad side too.... LAZY BARISTA THAT WALKS AROUND LOOKING GOOD. You should check them out.

Im a firm believer of whats in a cup. Why write up or even talk about places that dont exist?

Comment

So the fact that
                              Originally posted by 7C7D70787279110 link=1255337708/11#11 date=1255421502

So Seven Seeds is not getting media coverage?
                              Do you agree that the sardine toasted sandwich is in your top 10 meals in Melbourne like Preston?
                              New ideas and concepts happen in the industry that no one else is doing so it gets reported on. To the general populace, having these so called waves makes it easy for them to get their heads around the fact that there is a difference in coffee and it should be appreciated

Comment

Working...
                              X