Itchy rash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Itchy rash

Has anyone heard of an allergy to coffee. Got our new machine and grinder about 6 weeks ago. Have been drinking more coffee than I did wth the old machine. Better coffee than I have ever had before. Came out in an itchy red rash about 10 days later. Its not quite as bad as it was but only because I have to fight all day not to scratch. Could it be the coffee? :-[Help

Re: Itchy rash

lactose intolerance?

Comment

Doesnt sound like caffeine allergy or lactose intolerance to me. Nothing Ive read (on the net) mentions a rash. Have you recently started new medication? Have you done any gardening and possibly had a reaction to a plant?

Comment

Originally posted by 000B0018130E5456610 link=1255472210/2#2 date=1255477929
        Doesnt sound like caffeine allergy or lactose intolerance to me. Nothing Ive read (on the net) mentions a rash. Have you recently started new medication? Have you done any gardening and possibly had a reaction to a plant?
        Change in weather... Other allergies..

Originally posted by 500B140D0804610 link=1255472210/0#0 date=1255472210
        Has anyone heard of an allergy to coffee. Got our new machine and grinder about 6 weeks ago.  Have been drinking more coffee than I did wth the old machine. Better coffee than I have ever had before. Came out in an itchy red rash about 10 days later. Its not quite as bad as it was but only because I have to fight all day not to scratch.  Could it be the coffee?   :-[Help
        More info needed... You do not say where or how it is showing... Raised.. Spots etc etc Suggest you go to a medical site and be aware about self medicating...

Coffee is good for you ;D

Comment

I would think and allergic reaction to caffeine would be almost immediate. My uncle has a bad reaction to caffeine and it happens with minutes of consumption.

At 10 days later its going to be something else. Im not an allergies person usually but with all these dust storms recently i have had some problems. could be that?

Comment

Maybe its withdrawal symptoms from no longer drinking bad coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by 39627D64616D080 link=1255472210/0#0 date=1255472210
              Its not quite as bad as it was but only because I have to fight all day not to scratch.Could it be the coffee? Help  
              Hi Julie, Ive noticed something similar myself...maybe it is related to the dust as Luke G mentioned (im sure we all inhaled a fair bit) as it started shortlly thereafter (about 2-4 days). im just taking some antihistamines at the moment and trying not to scratch!

Comment

The rash initially was very red small raised rough spots on the backs of my hands then spreading to my face and ears. The next day it was on my body and legs. Had an antihistamine injection which saw me lose a whole day (so much for slightly drowsy the dr said).
                Unfortunately, I still have the rash and I believe it has settled down marginally because I have to work really hard not to scratch.

Thankyou all for your helpful suggestions. I knew I was clutching at straws but I have elimated almost everything else but was not keen on giving up coffee because I cant stand the thought of having this expensive new machine sitting on the bench and not being able to use it.

As a farmer/orchardist in Northern Vic I live in dust and I dont think it could be lactose intolerance because I was bottle fed on untreated cows milk almost 50 years ago. I wont be self medicating. Its not a good idea.

Perhaps I should be drinking more coffee. That might be the answer.

Comment

grass ticks?

Comment

Ive heard of it. I have an uncle linked his exma to increased coffee consumption and it has disapeared since he gave it up.

Comment

I was caught in a big dust storm a few years ago and couldnt escape.
                      I was really sick afterwards for a few days, and wondered whether it was the dust, or possible fertiliser/insecticide/weedicide or ?? that was mixed up in it.

I dont remember a rash, but I was too sick to notice much at all.

Greg

Comment

We suffer at work from it. Especially cupping coffee every day. I have found some coffees effect me more than others. First time I drank Kenya Gethumbwini I had to go to the doctors. But I have no problems drinking it now and drink it without side effects. Im struggling on a Indonesian coffee at the moment. You will have to give it a break for 1-2 weeks and slowly introduce coffee back into your system. Drink plenty of water and never drink coffee on an empty stomach. Wash your hands after you make coffee. I always wear gloves when I am roasting now. I have had 3 showers today and I can still smell coffee on me. Its hard stuff to get out of your body

Comment

Working...
                        X