When P.C. Goes Too Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When P.C. Goes Too Far

http://www.deafdc.com/blog/vikki-washington/2007-01-22/when-pc-goes-too-far/

Re: When P.C. Goes Too Far

PCness is a hard one. My age of reason years were in the 70s when all manner of racist jokes were told with impunity. I went to school with aborigines and blatant racism towards them was not only acceptable, it was expected. I had to do it to maintain face with my white mates though I honestly couldnt see why I was better than them. I was astounded to learn that the 1967 referendum was to recognise them as Australian citizens FFS.

Im glad that is one area where PCness has made a change.

I now notice it is swinging a little too far the other way and people are finding excuses to take offence. If anyone watched tonights episode of Hungry Beast on ABC1, the show was about the working of the outrage crowd (such as that spawned by the recent Hey Hey Black Faces brouhaha).

The show tends to ask questions and raises alternate viewpoints rather than take a stance but not entirely impartial. A very original,  thought provoking and clever show and can almost be described as a serious Chasers with some comdey but no larrikinism.

Sheesh..now look what you made me do Tepin   I do go on, dont I?

Comment

lol

It was mentioned to me the other day that were no longer allowed to use the work blackboard or whiteboard too?!?!?

I guess were lucky here in OZ that these terms have a "proper" meaning and no underlying hidden message regarding a person color.

God bless Australia! 8-)

Comment

I didnt think blackboard or whiteboard had other meanings.

Comment

Apparently they do ?.. to people who either want to be difficult or to people who like to be difficult on people who like to be difficults behalf... does that make sense? :-?

It came up in conversation the other day because i write orders straight onto the stainless couter top with a white(?)board marker.

Comment

Im also offended by "White King" bleach. I dont see why a White King is something I want my laundry associated with. The term is a throw back to a time when white people considered themselves rulers over other races. As a Republican and a proud proponent of a multiracial society I think "White King" should take a serious look at changing their brand.
            :P

Comment

Originally posted by 322A2F2F3A2B00323E3169685F0 link=1255513546/5#5 date=1255566392
              Im also offended by "White King" bleach..... The term is a throw back to a time when white people considered themselves rulers over other races.
              Not to mention the chauvanistic and imperialistic implications of "King"

It should be re-branded as "Neutral Entity"

Comment

At the pre-school where my friends daughter goes they sing Bah Bah Rainbow Sheep. I dont know about you but Ive never seen a rainbow coloured sheep before in my life.

I cant see how the original song is at all racist but why not just not sing it at all?

Comment

Originally posted by 47464C5F41445E2D0 link=1255513546/7#7 date=1255568849
                  Bah Bah Rainbow Sheep
                  I remember this started years ago, when my daughter was in daycare at ABC, about 2005, i couldnt believe my ears........crazy times people, i respect all ppl regardless of colour, until they lose my respect

Comment

Originally posted by 60787D7D687952606C633B3A0D0 link=1255513546/5#5 date=1255566392
                    Im also offended by "White King" bleach. I dont see why a White King is something I want my laundry associated with. The term is a throw back to a time when white people considered themselves rulers over other races. As a Republican and a proud proponent of a multiracial society I think "White King" should take a serious look at changing their brand
                    The first person i have come across to ever think this deeply about "White King" Its just bleach :-?

Originally posted by 67666C7F61647E0D0 link=1255513546/7#7 date=1255568849
                    At the pre-school where my friends daughter goes they sing Bah Bah Rainbow Sheep
                    That has to take the cake.
                    I wonder what the people who thought this one up think about the song "yellow submarine"

Comment

Originally posted by 7D70737D1F0 link=1255513546/9#9 date=1255574099
                      Its just bleach
                      Its just sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by 797477791B0 link=1255513546/9#9 date=1255574099
                        Originally posted by 60787D7D687952606C633B3A0D0 link=1255513546/5#5 date=1255566392
                        Im also offended by "White King" bleach. I dont see why a White King is something I want my laundry associated with. The term is a throw back to a time when white people considered themselves rulers over other races. As a Republican and a proud proponent of a multiracial society I think "White King" should take a serious look at changing their brand
                        The first person i have come across to ever think this deeply about "White King" Its just bleach  :-?
                        Is it? Or is that just what the bourgeoisie reptilians want you to think?

Comment

Originally posted by 2E36333326371C2E222D7574430 link=1255513546/5#5 date=1255566392
                          throw back to a time when white people considered themselves rulers over other races.
                          Oh the vulgarity of class distinctionism.

Carpet King. Doughnut King. King of Knives.

Down with the upper classes. OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 7F4A53590D0C3A0 link=1255513546/12#12 date=1255580533
                            Down with the upper classes.OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!
                            Im with the proletarians, comrade

Comment

I wonder what the people who thought this one up think about the song "yellow submarine"
                              Dont bring the Beatles into this. >

Comment

Working...
                              X