whats a good shot taste like ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats a good shot taste like ?

Hi all, bean ( pun intended) busy playing with my 6910 / 480 combo and Ive got it happening pretty well. My question is, what should a good shot taste like ? Even though my extraction looks great to me, and tastes great when milk is added, the shot itself tastes like
    what I imagine arse would taste like. Its foul, bitter and totally spit worthy. Yes my beans are fresh/ good quality and from two different suppliers. Could someone enlighten me ?

Cheers

Re: whats a good shot taste like ?

Originally posted by 69687F7F646168750D0 link=1257140959/0#0 date=1257140959
    Hi all, bean ( pun intended) busy playing with my 6910 / 480 combo and Ive got it happening pretty well. My question is, what should a good shot taste like ? Even though my extraction looks great to me, and tastes great when milk is added, the shot itself tastes like
    what I imagine arse would taste like. Its foul, bitter and totally spit worthy. Yes my beans are fresh/ good quality and from two different suppliers. Could someone enlighten me ?

Cheers
    Where in Brisbane  with that machine / grinder  it is often PEBGAF  

Some beans are more suited to a milk drink and others can be ok for either..

However in many cases if ya beans are OK... It will come down to your machine settings and your method...

It is a balancing act and 2 + 2 = 5 where coffee matters.

Comment

I agree, but what should a good shot taste like ? I mean, if what Im producing pre milk is considered good, then the people who drink it straight are not quite right in the head IMO. Should you be able to hold it in your mouth without sqinting and then taste a foul bitterness for the rest of the day or should it coat the inside of your mouth like velvet chocolate and have you gagging for more ? Or is it just an aquired taste ? ;D

Comment

It is definitely an aquired taste, the very best thing you could do is taste a good shot, go to Dibella, or Venezianos and taste one, you might find that you just dont like them, i never used to like em, i gradually used less and less milk and then straight shots! yum yum, still love my latte/\/ but nothing better than a couple o shots on a sunday reading the paper! but you need a base level to aim for, other wise your changing variables without knowing where you want or need  to go or change.

cheers
        warren

ps remember everyones taste and likes/dislikes are different, making it difficult to spell out what a shot "should" taste like, then theres different beans, different roast profiles, different...........it goes on and on and on................thats why we love it! ;D

Comment

sounds like a plan. Im using di bella beans at the moment. Im doing the sunbeam coffee school on Saturday so that would be as good a place as any to taste a good shot. At least, even if I still think its foul, Ill know whats good and whats bad. But if my brew tastes good now ( with a foul straight shot ) it can only get better with a good one eh .

Comment

Thats the spirit! Where is the sunbeam cse being held? Remember Di Bella and Veneziano are site sponsors and care deeply about what comes out of their machines, they are both roasters obviously too, with several awards under their belt, now thats a target on which to set you sights!

Comment

For me, a good straight shot is a bit like a square of 70% dark chocolate.

Sweet, pungent, bitter, coats the tongue, gives flavour/smell to each exhale, and often has overtones of cognac, vanilla, or sometimes even rose petals, or dried cherries.

I do know people who eat only milk chocolate and gag at eating dark. Not me though.

That said, the Ethiopian Kuza I had tonight did have equal quantities of shot and steamed milk, and was great.

Greg

Comment

like greg says, generally sweet is the dominant profile balanced out by a nice bit of bitterness

even then it depends on the blend, or SO if youre going that direction

maybe try cutting your shot a bit shorter closer to a ristretto to start with if you want to start having shots, I find if I let mine go a bit far and start blonding ill notice more bitterness than id like

Comment

Sorry guys, been doing bloody business paper work.

The sunbeam coffee school is in the valley at the Campos Coffee shop ( good beans those )

Crikey GregWormald, all that from one little bean ! Chocolate in all forms, bring it on.

Thanks for the advice everyone, Ill let know how the course goes.

Comment

Whats a good shot taste like?
                    Thats a difficult question with so many variables.
                    Id say, get your grind and extraction right and change your beans according to the taste you like.
                    Some beans have a more acidic after taste, some have chocolate after taste , some fruity, but it all depends on what you like.
                    Most importantly, is to get your coffee pouring like honey and golden crema.

Comment

All this talk has got me gagging for a shot of Waghi! work sux

Comment

yep work sux but working for yourself eases the pain big time. Do what I want, when I want and most importantly come home and make a brew when I want. Sweet as ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 414057574C49405D250 link=1257140959/11#11 date=1257206245
                          yep work sux but working for yourself eases the pain big time. Do what I want, when I want and most importantly come home and make a brew when I want. Sweet as  ;D
                          I work from a home office and I only need to walk a few meters ;D for a PNG Wahgi
                          In fact I just made one & sipping while posting 8-)

KK

Comment

just came home for a long ( 2 brew ) lunch. machine warming up.

Comment

Originally posted by 777661617A7F766B130 link=1257140959/13#13 date=1257216544
                              just came home for a long ( 2 brew ) lunch. machine warming up.
                              That would be nice but it takes me a little more than an hour just to commute between home and work

Comment

Working...
                              X