Supreme Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Beans

I have a Spaz S1 at home and have found that for a high-end semi-commercial machine, its pretty finicky. You have to work hard for a good shot and be really consistent and there is not much margin for error even with the pre-infusion chamber (which I have since removed). After giving most of the beans in Melbourne a go over the last 18 months or so, the only roaster I seem to get really consistent espresso with is Supreme. Im trying to work why this bean suits my machine, in the hope that I can seek out other like roasters for a bit of variety every now and then. Any ideas?

Re: Supreme Beans

Gday Slippy,
    when you say that the La Spaz is finnicky and you have to work hard for a good shot, what results are you getting that would indicate that you arent getting a good shot at the moment?

I know that might sound like a silly question, but people judge their shots using different parameters. Some judge by the time taken for the shot to achieve the 30/60mls, the time to blonding of the shot, the taste, the absences of tiger striping or even the shape of the pour (if it doesnt look like a mouse/rat tail, it doesnt make the grade).

In relation to the use of that particular roaster to achieve your desired results, different beans and roast levels like different pour temperatures, and as the La Spaz has good temperature control, that will probably have a big bearing on your results.

Anyhow, let us know some of your symptoms and Im sure that there will be a solution forthcoming.

All the best,
    Steve.

Comment

depends on the bean, but have had probs with all of the above. Biggest problem though is early blonding. I have just jammed a triple basket in the handle, but even with the extra coffee I get blonding too early in the shot. Consistency is also a problem and while Im willing to accept my technique is probably not WBC standard, it doesnt seem as though there should be that big a variance in mottling, viscosity, speed of pour and flavour from day to day. I dont, however, have these problems with Supreme beans. I have tried everything from Padre to Five Senses and everything in between, single estates and blends. I was also hoping the machine would bring out a bit more brightness and fruit. I really do have a love/hate relationship with my machine.

Comment

what grinder are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by 6877726B6B627D72686F1B0 link=1257893304/2#2 date=1257922119
          it doesnt seem as though there should be that big a variance in mottling, viscosity, speed of pour and flavour from day to day.
          Hate to tell you but small variations in conditions day to day and technique will have some pretty massive effects. Interesting however that one bean gives you consistency when the others dont, is it only one blend of supreme or all? That would seem strange to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 0E16131306173C0E020D5554630 link=1257893304/3#3 date=1257926867
            what grinder are you using?
            Good question...cant wait for the answer...

Comment

good question. sounds like a distribution issue or a dose issue, you could try reverting to a double basket and dosing a bit lower?

Comment

btw, could a mod clarify what the guidelines are regarding non-sponsor roaster suggestions? increasingly sponsors seem to roast, and roasters seem to sponsor.

Comment

Early blonding, especially when it seems to come on all of a sudden during a shot, is usually an indication of channeling within the puck.

When youve poured a shot that has blonded (is that even a word ;D) early, knock the puck out and check it for worm holes, especially around the side of the puck.

The La Spaz does have deep baskets, which should go some way to eliminating the channeling, but as Coffeehorse mentioned, your troubles do seem to be related to dose and/or distribution within the basket.

Comment

Could also be worn grinder blades, no point speculating, need more info

Comment

Using a mazzer mini and its less than a year old so Id be surprised if its the blades. As for the roast, I get it from batch in st kilda and its the same each time. Have checked my pucks intermittently and theyre pretty solid and smooth, although if i get lazy, i do get some channeling. The standard double basket - deep as it is - is succeptible to channeling if you down dose, but theres not much margin for error with the shower head/grouphead set up if youre trying to updose either (you just end up mashing the puck against the shower head. As for my technique with the triple basket, Im collapsing twice and levelling off with a dosing tool to maintain consitsency. I have had spurts of success with other beans, but almost invariably, I get one or two god shots among a lot of substandard shots. Had a degree of success with some Dukes Guatemalan single origin, but over the course of a week I only had a couple of good days. Even taking into account the natural variances in the roast as it ages I find this a bit weird. When I get good shots out of my machine theyre as good as youll get anywhere, but as I said in the original post, I feel like I should get more consistently good espresso out of my machine and reckon my technique is good enough to do so. Bit frustrating really. Also I know someone else with the same machine that has similar problems and he is more experienced than me.

Comment

Originally posted by 6B46474C564B565B220 link=1257893304/7#7 date=1257930160
                        btw, could a mod clarify what the guidelines are regarding non-sponsor roaster suggestions?
                        Im not a Mod, but personally think its fine to discuss non-sponsor roaster suggestions, so long as you dont provide a link to their website. I wouldnt think it productive to post negative remarks.

Originally posted by 6B46474C564B565B220 link=1257893304/7#7 date=1257930160
                        increasingly sponsors seem to roast, and roasters seem to sponsor.
                        I dont know if its on the increase, but as this site is predominantly about coffee, its probably why they are Sponsors in the first place.

Comment

thanks dennis,

that was about my understanding! Just that there are a few incredibly forgiving blends (you might even be able to suggest one of your own) such as Coffee Alchemys Goodness Galileo and single origins like Meccas Ethiopia Beloya #16.

These give a very exact taste profile when correct, and easy diagnosis.

@slippyfist

1) Do you have a non-spouted portafilter? (a hammer could fix this if you dont)
                          2) Do you have a naked portafilter?
                          3) Where do you live? Muahahaha

As you mentioned Padre, Id be guessing Balmain/Rozelle in Sydney, but you could be anywhere. If youre in Sydney Id be happy to meet you and see if I can help.

Comment

Originally posted by 7D50515A405D404D340 link=1257893304/12#12 date=1257999629
                            3) Where do you live? Muahahaha

As you mentioned Padre, Id be guessing Balmain/Rozelle in Sydney, but you could be anywhere.
                            coffeehorse, given that slippyfist said -

Originally posted by 47585D44444D525D4740340 link=1257893304/10#10 date=1257943607
                            As for the roast, I get it from batch in st kilda
                            I doubt theyre in our neck of the woods. Although it is making me pine for the corned beef hash on the breakfast menu at batch!

Comment

aha!

we should meet up tomorrow and consume a brew or two at the usual. why not give me a call on the old blower?

Comment

Working...
                              X