Iced chocolate recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iced chocolate recipe

Following on from the successful Iced coffee recipe thread, I thought Id ask if anyone has a good iced chocolate recipe, possibly using the African red cocoa.
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve.

Re: Iced chocolate recipe

A pity no-one had any ideas.  I would have been interested in this, as I like a good iced chocolate, although I have no particular ideas for recipies to submit myself.
        I dont make it myself, but sometimes have it at a café.  I know a place near my home that has wonderful iced chocolates with various flavours added, such as orange cinnamon, hazelnut, coconut, mint - and also chilli, although I havent tried that since I dont like hot things like chilli.  When you take a mouthful, chocolate is the first impression you get, but a few seconds later the added flavour seems to come in, cutting through the chocolate, although not obliterating it.  This is not normal "drinking chocolate", but is described as "European style".

Could you please tell me where the iced coffee discussion you refer to was, as that would interest me?  (Ive been away from this forum for a while, and just come back, so I havent been following everything of this sort.)

Regards,
                             Michael.

Comment

IMO the best iced chocolate drinks have to be made with a cooked chocolate mixture, and the very best are hot chocolate drinks cooled down in the fridge--so: 1 tablespoon of cocoa, 1 tablespoon of sugar, milk, heat, cool.

If flavours are wanted, I add them to the cold drink. My preference is for a small shot of Grand Marnier. Yum.

Greg

Comment

Thanks Greg, that sounds tasty indeed.
        MJE, heres a link to the iced coffee discussion http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1257976896

Comment

Originally posted by 00233A29354C0 link=1258347664/3#3 date=1261014716
          MJE, heres a link to the iced coffee discussion http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1257976896
               Thanks for that - I will look through it for ideas to try out.  I think I am getting a bit jaded with the current way I make iced coffee.  (Oddly enough, I am not jaded with iced coffee I buy when eating out, and I do wonder whether this has something to do with psychology rather than any actual differences between my own iced coffee and that made by others.  Maybe theres a sense in which something made for you by someone else is a bit special and something made by yourself is ordinary.)

Meanwhile, could I ask a question about making iced chocolate?  Is it best made entirely with milk, or mostly milk, or does it work well if the fluid is primarily water, with a smaller amount of milk?  Or maybe half-and-half?
               If I could draw a parallel with iced coffee, which I have been drinking for decades, I recall that, when I began, I made it with entirely milk (using just enough hot water to dissolve the instant coffee I used then).  I think this derived from my previous habit of making chocolate drinks like Milo entirely with milk, and I saw iced coffee in some ways as parallel with that.
               A little later, I sometimes used mostly water or half-and-half (in iced coffee), either just to try it a different way or because milk was short at the time, but I seemed to mostly prefer it with entirely milk.
               As the years went by, I found that I was preferring to use less and less milk, and I now make iced coffee with very nearly all water, and just enough milk to make it white, not black (but that small amount of milk, or cream as a substitute, is essential).
               For a variety of reasons, I have never got into the habit of making iced chocolate - and I think part of the reason is uncertainty about the water/milk issue.  For some reason I have the idea that iced chocolate should be made with milk (probably stemming from my pre-iced-coffee Milo in childhood), yet Im not sure I like drinks to be too milky now.  (I do buy iced chocolate sometimes, and I dont know what proportions of water and milk they use.)  I suppose its a case of finding it difficult to think outside what Im used to, even if (as in the case of all-milk drinks) that may suit me less now than it used to.
               But I would be interested in others thoughts on how much milk is best to use for iced chocolate (as against iced coffee).
               Thanks.

Regards,
                                    Michael.

Comment

Hey MJE - at my work we keep it old school: enough ice cubes to cover the blades of the blender (two heaped scoops with a slotted spoon), enough milk - say 200 mls - to cover the ice, and around 120 ml home made chocolate syrup

blend like crazy and pour into a milkshake cup - and viola!

the consistency and flavour should be like that of melted icecream with no slivers of ice left and the taste should reflect this: rich and thick and creamy!

Cheers,

ACg

Comment

I just thought Id say that I have recently had iced chocolate at two different places, and they could hardly have been more different.
              One is at a place I quite often have it, and it is exquisite. I dont know exactly what they use to make it, but it is described as "European chocolate" - so maybe that is a particular style of drinking chocolate. It comes in various flavours: apart from just chocolate, they have the additional flavours orange-cinnamon, hazelnut, mint, coconut, and chilli. (I havent tried the chill.) There is also a vanilla, but it is white chocolate.
              The other was at a place where I am not going to get it again. I suspect they made it largely if not entirely with melted dark chocolate. Now I like eating dark chocolate, but it seemed to make the drink a little too sickly sweet, and I suspect melted chocolate is not the best way to make iced chocolate. One problem was the some of the chocolate hardened again on the inside edges of the glass.
              I have used cocoa powder in the past when making iced chocolate myself, but I dont know whether many shops use this to make it.

Regards,
              Michael.

Comment

Working...
              X