Stupid question....double shots.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid question....double shots.

Guys apologies in advance but I have read different versions on pouring doubles and am now confused......

A double shot should be 50 - 60 ml but what should the pour time be??? still the 25 - 30 seconds, 40 - 45 seconds or simply twice the time i.e. 50 - 60 seconds..... I have searched quite a bit and there is many different views out there..... l

Be gentle..... :-X

Re: Stupid question....double shots.

Originally posted by 293B373835686A6A5A0 link=1258705607/0#0 date=1258705607
    25 - 30 seconds

Comment

Originally posted by 594B474845181A1A2A0 link=1258705607/0#0 date=1258705607
      Guys apologies in advance but I have read different versions on pouring doubles and am now confused......

A double shot should be 50 - 60 ml but what should the pour time be??? still the 25 - 30 seconds, 40 - 45 seconds or simply twice the time i.e. 50 - 60 seconds..... I have searched quite a bit and there is many different views out there..... l

Be gentle..... :-X

Depends on what you want in the cup and ya beans and the basket...

However in general; it is understood that water at 92C exposed to coffee grounds at 9bar for 30 seconds will see teh optimum coffee oils extracted.

After that, you get more caffeine and other stuff that usually makes teh coffee taste bitter. That why many of us like what is called a ristretto shot... For some this means pulling the shot early - 20 to 25 sec = ME

For others, they also change the grind and pull it at about 25sec.. And others have their own way...

Many in the USA run a longer shot and if ya ever try to drink it ya know why it is bitter or covered up with syrups...

Comment

FWIW there was a paper by Dr Ernesto Illy, "The Complexity of Coffee" (google finds it) that nicely showed why 30 seconds - one of the compounds extracted, with a "rancid" aroma/flavour, makes a sudden jump in concentration after 30 sec while the nice flavours (choc,  cinnamon, etc.) were fairly steadily increasing.

Comment

hmm.... I would say that it also comes down to what size baskets your are using and what equipment you are working with - I have no trouble pulling 40ml shots over 50sec using 20g baskets and 2ml flow restrictors

But then again my machine (supplies by site sponsor Veneziano) has been specifically designed to handle this sort of capacity...

Comment

Originally posted by 74646675627E070 link=1258705607/3#3 date=1258719257
            FWIW there was a paper by Dr Ernesto Illy, "The Complexity of Coffee" (google finds it) that nicely showed why 30 seconds - one of the compounds extracted, with a "rancid" aroma/flavour, makes a sudden jump in concentration after 30 sec while the nice flavours (choc,  cinnamon, etc.) were fairly steadily increasing.
            Thanks, I found the article very interesting but now that I understand the process and by-products of coffee production, Im concerned Im going to have to purchase carbon credits.  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 5F6463786B79620C0 link=1258705607/5#5 date=1258773925
              Originally posted by 74646675627E070 link=1258705607/3#3 date=1258719257
              Thanks, I found the article very interesting but now that I understand the process and by-products of coffee production, Im concerned Im going to have to purchase carbon credits.  ;D
              SSSHHHHsssssss We will not tell if you dont...

Comment

Thankyou all for your replies.

Comment

Originally posted by 627270637468110 link=1258705607/3#3 date=1258719257
                  Looks like an interesting read, printed it and will digest a little later over a cappa.
                  Heres the link. http://www.podmerchant.com/coffee/co...-of-coffee.pdf

Comment

This always confuses me also, especially when ordering at cafes. I am pretty sure most cafes use double baskets by default therefore every espresso would be +/-30mls. Yet when you ask for a double shouldnt it be more than 30mls. That is, a double double (2 separate shots). I could be wrong....

I have synesso double baskets but stop extraction by sight so I never really know or bother too much about the amount of mls in my cup, I know the taste is good so am happy.

Comment

Originally posted by 2F202A3C2B2F3D2C4E0 link=1258705607/9#9 date=1258945953
                      This always confuses me also, especially when ordering at cafes.  I am pretty sure most cafes use double baskets by default therefore every espresso would be +/-30mls.  Yet when you ask for a double shouldnt it be more than 30mls.  That is, a double double (2 separate shots).  I could be wrong....

I have synesso double baskets but stop extraction by sight so I never really know or bother too much about the amount of mls in my cup, I know the taste is good so am happy.
                      Dont bet on it.. I know plenty that use singles Even when doing two small cups... You in effect get half a shot..

I once asked and teh comment was with a true double... People complain that it is too STRONG and TOO bitter.. ;D : :P

What does that tell ya...

Comment

Originally posted by 727D776176726071130 link=1258705607/9#9 date=1258945953
                        This always confuses me also, especially when ordering at cafes.  I am pretty sure most cafes use double baskets by default therefore every espresso would be +/-30mls.  Yet when you ask for a double shouldnt it be more than 30mls.  That is, a double double (2 separate shots).  I could be wrong....

I would also have expected 50-60ml in a double shot.

Comment

Appears as though it wasnt such a silly question after all!!!!

Have had to go back to the drawing board with my new toy and the more I read on this, the more I started second guessing myself. I too pull short......

Comment

Originally posted by 564448474A171515250 link=1258705607/12#12 date=1258955008
                            I started second guessing myself. I too pull short......
                            Is ya partner aware of this :

Comment

espresso/ristretto
                              single/double

Comment

Working...
                              X