What is it - what does it do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it - what does it do?

Hi Guys, Just wondering about the purpose of this small bolt on the front of the Group. I dismantled the Group recently to clear a suspected blockage and took the bolt out as well but could not see what purpose it serves.
    Thanks in anticipation...

Re: What is it - what does it do?

Hi Rocky,

Pretty much nothing- but have a read here for more info:

Handy though

2mcm

Comment

This is where I fitted a digital temp probe on my VBM very useful for cooling flushes,

Chris

Comment

Thanks 2mcm, the pictures are very helpful. Im guessing that the small round bolt seals an inspection or maintenance channel in the Group Head.
        Chris, I like the idea of having a temp probe fitted there as I suppose it takes all the guesswork out of knowing whether your machine is maintaining a correct water temp at pour.
        Any pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by 79444840522B0 link=1261989770/3#3 date=1262003171
          the small round bolt seals a...*snip*...channel
          Quite right!  If Im not mistaken, that bolt seals a shaft made during construction.  As theres no way to drill a 90 degree bend, they drill two perpendicular shafts and then plug the end of one of them - thats the Hex nut you see.  Pic with arrow pointing to the bend attached.  

(Original image by Verna Design Inc)

The temp probe down the throat can be fitted with Eric Ss adaptor. Details are here: http://users.rcn.com/erics/ and very detailed comment is on the home-barista.com forums

Happy reading

Comment

Found this one.

Comment

Thanks very much Epic & RZ. I never cease to be impressed by the helpful cameradrie of the CS fraternity.
              I am having a problem with my machine at the moment and am looking at all the possible variables that may be implicated.
              I noticed when I removed the little round bolt that there was no washer and it appeared to be set in place with a locktite type of material which I suspect may have travelled down the shaft and be causing some problems at the bottom (escape) valve.
              A bit more investigation to be done when I get the right sized spanner tomorrow. I will post a thread on the matter.
              Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by 4453524C595853070407360 link=1261989770/5#5 date=1262025544
                Found this one.
                May i ask where this photo came from redzone?

And what sort of temp guage it might be?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 122F232B39400 link=1261989770/6#6 date=1262076096
                  I noticed when I removed the little round bolt that there was no washer
                  The instructions for installing Erics thermometer mention a washer.

Comment

Hi Caffeine Dealer, try these sites for details and pictures:

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/e61-grouphead-digital-thermometer-adaptor
                    http://www.chriscoffee.com/files/20/DigThermometer+PDF+version.pdf
                    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1260164655/14

Dex

Comment

Luke its my machine and the rest have been answered by the great CS people.

Comment

Originally posted by 013D203B313027323A31550 link=1261989770/8#8 date=1262091896
                        The instructions for installing Erics thermometer mention a washer.  
                        As thundergod said the copper one in the bag is Erics and white one is what should have been on yours bolt..

Cheers Gra..

Comment

Working...
                        X