• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick your Starbucks up your Gloria Jeans with a Coffee Club

Dear Customer
    Thankyou for your feedback.
    You are weak to convenience.
    Every week I hear your complaints about the coffee chains, Woolworths and Coles.
    Prices too high, quality too low, service is sh!t.
    Yet they are all busy, more of your cash in there till, there share prices are up, the franchises being sold.
    Im talking to local guys and gals busting there alls to grow well,buy well, roast well, brew
    well and they are stuggling.
    Tell your family and friends to walk a little, make an effort and find better coffee.
    They are few and inconveniently located.
    St Ali-Melbourne, Chic- Brisbane, Single origin-Sydney, Supreme roaster- Gold Coast
    In my mind you are more likely to get a better experience from locally owned and operated family
    business.
    A franchise can be bought by locals but are governed by nationals which equals less for you and more for them.
    Sorry to say
    You have the convenience disease.
    Stick your Starbucks up your Gloria Jeans with a Coffee Club
    Hospitality cannot be owned.
    Regards

Re: Stick your Starbucks up your Gloria Jeans with a Coffee Club

......? :-?

Comment

Hi ViA,

Unfortunately, I know just how you feel--(sigh ).

With a little bit of effort good-to-great coffee is available. Most people wont put in that effort, either because they dont care, dont know what good coffee tastes like, or, as you say, they are addicted to convenience first.

Fortunately there is a place for those of us who fall outside those groups, ITS HERE AT COFFEESNOBS! :

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 256233322962510 link=1265641390/0#0 date=1265641390
        ;D ;D ;D

Best headline Ive seen for ages!

10 out of 10

Comment

Originally posted by 506C716A606176636B60040 link=1265641390/3#3 date=1265668173
          Originally posted by 256233322962510 link=1265641390/0#0 date=1265641390
          ;D  ;D   ;D

Best headline Ive seen for ages!

10 out of 10
          Agreed! Beautiful.

And with the sentiment itself. I still have trouble taking my missus away from the pants place due to convenience. But she is getting there a little at a time. Luckily I have two very fine purveyors of Peruvians, Panamanians, Peabodies, Plateau Growns, Pacifics, Poo Beans and the like within a 15 minute drive from my front door.

Both are generous, welcome me by name, offer free samples of either cup or green bean from time to time as may happen, and are more than happy to share knowledge and time when I visit. AND the atmosphere when enjoying a beverage here simply cannot be beat.

And did I mention fresh roasted beans in my cup? The other mobs dont need or deserve my dollars......let em pander to those who deserve them.

Comment

The scary thing is that very few of those who flock to places like Gloria Jeans actually complain.
            Even scarier, they pay a 30-40% premium for the privilege of terrible coffee.

Sadly, so many that frequent these chain stores actually develop such a taste for the sickly sweet syrups that mask the terrible beans (and extraction) that they truly believe thats how coffee is meant to be served.

At the end of the day though, people can spend their money on whatever they like and if Gloria Jeans floats their boat, good luck to them.

Comment

People go to the likes of starbucks / gloria jeans not just for the sugary drinks but also because they believe these stores will consistently serve the same product, just like macdonalds. If they go to a new independant theyve never heard of, the coffee could be awesome but it could also be terrible. There are plenty of places you can get bad coffee, even if they use good locally roasted fresh beans.

Since there is a relatively small number of excellent independents in brisbane, i believe most people dont have the know-how, the time or the inclination to find the good ones.

The average joe just doesnt care that much about coffee to go to all that effort! This is the reason i believe the likes of gloria jeans do so well, not to mention good marketing, extremely high amount of foot traffic etc.

Open a veneziano next door to a gloria jeans and im sure youd soon see people flocking to the veneziano. People have an innate sense when it comes to authenticity.

Comment

i am gonna risk a flaming here....

if there is nothing else i would rather risk a GJ coffee than a donut king / sandwhich bar / sushi cupcake house / etc, coffee

I was watching a GJ barista on the weekend while my little one was looking at a pet store in Chatswood westfield and they were going about it in a very well trained way. dosing, tapping, tamping, even had shot timers and manual pours happening. Probably one of few but they were trying.

i didnt get one but........ ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 232F262B2B224E0 link=1265641390/7#7 date=1265795942
                  if there is nothing else i would rather risk a GJ coffee than a donut king / sandwhich bar / sushi cupcake house / etc, coffee
                  As a side note I think Insturator facilities for michels is now roasting for Donut King?

Thanks for the mention Via. Yes I know we are out of the way at Yatala (between Brisbane and Gold Coast) but we happily welcome any snob with open arms that happens to wonder in from yonder region!

Comment

Come on !!!! Their Chocolate Chip or Melting Moment biscuits are worth walking into the store if nothing else.......coffee is gunk and mud but the above biscuits are awesome (wife holding a gun to my head) !!

Comment

Dutchie... if she is really holding you ransom cause of that go to Mylk in Frankston... they have fraus hot chocolate which should help placate her seeing your on the Penisula.

Comment

Originally posted by 7A767F72727B170 link=1265641390/7#7 date=1265795942
                        was watching a GJ barista on the weekend while my little one was looking at a pet store in Chatswood westfield and they were going about it in a very well trained way. dosing, tapping, tamping, even had shot timers and manual pours happening. Probably one of few but they were trying.

i didnt get one but.......
                        Ill counter that one

A work colleague returned from his lunchbreak the other day, with a takeaway coffee from Gloria Jeans.

It was the size of a small milkshake, and had chocolate/licorice bullets in it.

Thats just scary. Why dont they just call themselves a milkbar and drop the whole coffee pretence

Comment

Originally posted by 0838232D223E2F3819232E2F4A0 link=1265641390/8#8 date=1265796226
                          Originally posted by 232F262B2B224E0 link=1265641390/7#7 date=1265795942
                          As a side note I think Insturator facilities for michels is now roasting for Donut King?
                          Can confirm that mate. I know a bloke who runs a Donut King who was telling me that the other day. I cant recall, he said there was a third chain whos beans are roasted same place as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 2B302F38356168590 link=1265641390/6#6 date=1265786456
                            People have an innate sense when it comes to authenticity.
                            True.  You must have experienced that look from a BS (Before Snobs)
                            Is this coffee? Wow, I never liked coffee before.
                            Originally posted by 1D2C2D3A31303C590 link=1265641390/9#9 date=1265796613
                            Come on !!!! Their Chocolate Chip or Melting Moment biscuits are worth walking into the store if nothing else
                            The Secret Recipe is ......
                            Sugar Salt and Fat  YUM
                            Originally posted by 3438313C3C35590 link=1265641390/7#7 date=1265795942
                            GJ barista on the weekend while my little one was looking at a pet store in Chatswood westfield and they were going about it in a very well trained way. dosing, tapping, tamping, even had shot timers and manual pours happening. Probably one of few but they were trying.
                            I Agree. GJ offer half good training and kids need a job.
                            Try and spend with a local and help create a job.
                            GJ
                            "If this is coffee, please bring me some tea".
                            "But if this is tea, please bring me some coffee".

Comment

Originally posted by 46766D636C706176576D6061040 link=1265641390/8#8 date=1265796226
                              Ive noticed guys at DK now wear a black shirt with "barista" on it, as opposed to the rest of the staff who wear pink shirts.

I once tried a DK coffee out of desperation.
                              It was what could best be described as soapy water with ground coffee throughout.
                              One sip and i realised that i can never again be that desperate.

Comment

Working...
                              X