Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to grind for clients without a grinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to grind for clients without a grinder?

Looks like quite a few clients want to start with pre-ground :-[ coffee from me for their plungers and filters etc.
    How many days post roast is recommended before grinding.
    I was thinking 2-3 days?

I know its only pre-ground but I know the aroma of the whole been develops over a few days, would grinding too soon lose even more flavour?

Cheers

The Apprentice

Re: When to grind for clients without a grinder?

Im absolutley no expert on this, but ive found that i leave them at least 24 hours before grinding for "customers", i used to grind straight away but found the CO2 tainted the taste in the cup, so for me, 1 day at least to give the beans some time to develop slightly and get rid of some of that CO2 a little slower, plus i find that the bags will almost explode if ground too early

Comment

Likewise no expert and zero science but for my Mum and plunger grind 4 to 5 days post roast, it seems to work out ok. Seems that with the course grind a couple of weeks the coffee is still okish.

Interesting to know what some of the bigger roasters do with their batches of preground? Either that or see about getting them into a cheaper grinder, Sunbeam 450, Breville Hario Skeleton etc if your going to do some limited commercial roasting see if you can buy a few to sell?

Comment

Cheers Guys !

Comment

Originally posted by 72765049494C53444B250 link=1267133831/1#1 date=1267134492
          Im absolutley no expert on this, but ive found that i leave them at least 24 hours before grinding for "customers"<snip>, plus i find that the bags will almost explode if ground too early
          Same here and if its a rushed "order" I leave them covered with a tea towel in a bowl overnight before grinding.
          The "customers" have been happy with the results (compared to their usual supply).

Comment

Working...
          X