Do I want to become a coffee snob?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I want to become a coffee snob?

Well this is my first post after poking around for a while ......

I am now at a point where I am wondering if I want to become a coffee snob. It wasnt long ago that I would have been quite happy with an instant coffee ..... always liked a machine made coffee if the opportunity presented but never too fussed. Then about 4 years ago I started at an office with a semi-automatic coffee machine. It didnt make great coffee so we tended to stick to instant during the day. Gradually the machine coffee became the norm ...... and then it happened.

After taking six months off work to travel through Europe I found myself starting to drink more and more real coffee. It helped that the only Italian that I knew was "cafe doppio per favore". Before long I was enjoying all types of real coffee. During the morning, during the day, after a meal ...... it all worked.

On return back to Australia I started to take a bit of an interest in coffee ..... helped out by this site. Now I find that I am on the slippery slope to become a coffee snob.

I have already introduced my wife to the idea of spending $2000 on a machine (even when she doesnt drink coffee) and now I am finding I am assessing all takeaway coffee that I purchase to see if is under or over extracted, what machine was used, what the temperature was like, the beans used, what tamper was in use etc. I am now skeptical of supermarket coffee beans even thought I dont have a grinder ..... or anything to brew it in.

I dont know what I am doing but I am finding it quite enjoyable ...... I just explain it away as a hobby. I feel that it is only a matter of time before I start to take some sort of barista course and roast my own beans ..... I can see it happening.

Do I really need to become a coffee snob ...... is there any way back once you have started or is it too late?

Look forward to asking many more questions in the future!

Cheers

Stinky.

Re: Do I want to become a coffee snob?

Im sorry to have to tell you this, but it may already be too late for you.

The fact that you posted here rather than running away is one of the signs that Snobbishness is well entrenched. :-/

Fortunately there are a few ways out, although they are not widely popular. "On the orders of your doctor" has been proven to work, although some only obey as far as decaf, others have found new doctors.

As far as we know DEATH is a way out, although no-one has come back (that I know of) to confirm that. AM knows many ways to put this to the ultimate test. ;D

As a long-time psychotherapist I can tell you that there is no help from that direction. :P

Best of luck, mate.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 7F4A5D5F6F574A5559545C380 link=1267606008/1#1 date=1267606447
      Im sorry to have to tell you this, but it may already be too late for you.

The fact that you posted here rather than running away is one of the signs that Snobbishness is well entrenched. :-/

Fortunately there are a few ways out, although they are not widely popular. "On the orders of your doctor" has been proven to work, although some only obey as far as decaf, others have found new doctors.

As far as we know DEATH is a way out, although no-one has come back (that I know of) to confirm that. AM knows many ways to put this to the ultimate test. ;D

As a long-time psychotherapist I can tell you that there is no help from that direction. :P

Best of luck, mate.

Greg
      100% correct

Comment

seems to me like its a little too late to wonder..

welcome

Comment

now that youve posted, its already too late ...

one of us one of us one of us one of us

welcome, and enjoy your delicious journey!

Comment

My question for you is does your face light up when you talk about coffee and associated machinery and all things shiny coffee things?
            If you answer yes then I am afraid my friend you are a coffee snob to the bone!
            I am completing my cert iv in training and assessment so I can teach at the local TAFE all about coffee. According to the local trainer he says I have the passion and the skills to make great coffee and also the skills to present the introduction to espresso coffee class.
            This is a total change in occupation from my normal day job as a coal miner.
            Regards
            Crisp Image

Comment

I sometimes drink blend 43........

... and enjoy it.

Comment

You are a lost cause and a snob for evermore Try your wife on some of the Cocoa and sell her on the idea of steamed milk to go with it

I remember seeing written sometime back by post 30-40 people start getting itchy about home roasting too

Coffee Snobbdom is a state of bean

Comment

Welcome to the dark side.

Allow yourself $3K for a machine, grinder, tamper and some other bits-n-pieces. Try to do it on the cheap and youll just end up upgrading after 3 months and spending more.

Comment

ive been an out of the closey snob for 4 months and already considering upgradeitis

Good luck ;D

Comment

Welcome Sir Stinky,  I like you also questioned the need to become a snob. It wasnt a conscious decision, I just wanted to make and enjoy nice coffee..........and that is still all I want. If that qualifies me as a CS then so be it. Welcome to the Dark Side

Steve

PS. There are certainly worse things you could be doing with your free time.

Comment

One of us!
                        One of us!
                        One of us!
                        One of us!
                        One of us!

Comment

One of the first question you need to ask yourself is "Am I attracted by very shiny and brightly coloured objects?"

Secondly, "Do I yearn each morning for an International Roast coffee?"

It your answered "Yes" to the first and "No" to the second, youre a gonner.

My journey into Coffeesnobbery has bee one of wonder and enchantment and Ill wager you find that too.
                          Good luck,
                          Tony

Comment

Originally posted by 58515959425F5E554A455D59300 link=1267606008/11#11 date=1267653047
                            One of us!
                            One of us!
                            One of us!
                            One of us!
                            One of us!

LOL

Comment

YEP your already a Snob.

You seeked out a sight call CoffeeSnobs...

You became a member of CoffeeSnobs

You posted a coffee related question on CoffeeSnobs

Welcome and enjoy!

P.S. Spend as much as the wife will allow but while your convincing her to spend that much ....attempt to hide at least half the same amount to add to her allowance ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X