Bottomless porta-filter issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottomless porta-filter issues

Happy Easter. I recently acquired one of these gadgets to play with over Easter as I am sure it will help with my tampering technique and shot pull. Did the usual this morning and while it starts off with a centre column/funnel as it should [and I begin to glow inside], it then starts to squirt the shot all over the place with some still filling the centre. Have had this happen three times now and checked to make sure I have the handle in nice and tight and also the basket in square.

Is this normal, suggestions for a fix? It makes a mess  
    Thanks

Re: Bottomless porta-filter issues

Originally posted by 0F2A2D393A3C2B1C3039393A3A5F0 link=1270157123/0#0 date=1270157123
    Happy Easter. I recently acquired one of these gadgets to play with over Easter as I am sure it will help with my tampering technique and shot pull. Did the usual this morning and while it starts off with a centre column/funnel as it should [and I begin to glow inside], it then starts to squirt the shot all over the place with some still filling the centre. Have had this happen three times now and checked to make sure I have the handle in nice and tight and also the basket in square.

Thanks
    Hello Purfect. This phenomenon is called chanelling and can be caused by imperfect distribution or underdose...

There is plenty within the forum to be found with a search.

Good luck

2mcm

Comment

Originally posted by 2C736B7D767D7178787B7B737F701E0 link=1270157123/1#1 date=1270157408
      Originally posted by 0F2A2D393A3C2B1C3039393A3A5F0 link=1270157123/0#0 date=1270157123

Thanks
      Hello Purfect. This phenomenon is called chanelling and can be caused by imperfect distribution or underdose...

There is plenty within the forum to be found with a search.

Good luck

2mcm

Off to search using appropriate terminology...thanks

Comment

Some anti-chanelling techniques to search for are nutating tamps and (particularly for Ms Silvia) pre-infusion of the manual variety.  Assuming you have your grind & distribution well sorted in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by 5B4B495A4D51280 link=1270157123/3#3 date=1270161331
          Some anti-chanelling techniques to search for are nutating tamps and (particularly for Ms Silvia) pre-infusion of the manual variety.  Assuming you have your grind & distribution well sorted in the first place.
          Thanks for the tips. The grind and distribution , while not perfect, doesnt appear too bad, and up-dosing sorted the squirts. I got the bottomless handle to assist with trying to fathom out why I cannot get the grind, and whatever else, to slow down the flux of coffee.
          I never had these issues on my el cheapo machine and despite 6 months of playing, reading the board forums etc, the flux remains fast and switches from chocolate to caramel very quickly.
          Coffee tastes fine but always room for improvement, so will follow up on those tips as well ..thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 6B4E495D5E584F78545D5D5E5E3B0 link=1270157123/4#4 date=1270244384
            the flux remains fast and switches from chocolate to caramel very quickly
            Brew pressure too high?

More importantly, does it taste bad?

Cheers,
            Luca

Comment

Working...
            X