Is instant coffee really that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is instant coffee really that bad?

Taking a deep breath, I am risking the wrath of the coffeesnobs by posting this.

I love espresso. I roast my own beans. But I still drink instant coffee!

I mean, seriously, lots of people drink it. I drink it almost every day. At work, and at the communal dining hall. You know, like Nescafe Caterers blend and International Roast. Not even the fancy expensive instant coffees. I wont say its bad. In fact, I kinda like it. Its nothing like espresso  or espresso based drinks, more like a different drink alltogether. Of course a latte tastes better than nescafe with a dash of UHT milk, but the nescafe with UHT milk isnt half bad.

I drink orange cordial just like I drink instant coffee. Fresh orange juice is nicer but seriously, orange cordial aint half bad. Neither is instant coffee.

To use orange juice as an analogy:

Orange cordial is orange flavoured water designed to be palatable to the masses. Reconstituted orange juice is made from orange extract that is then recombined to become orange juice. Fresh orange juice is made by cutting an orange in half and squeezing out the juice.

They arent the same. But orange cordial is awfully convienient, and is acceptable to most people. Reconstituted juice will never taste like fresh orange juice, but it at least contains real oranges. Fresh orange juice is a bit of a hassle to make, but if you have good oranges (that arent too sour!!!) and are willing to put some effort into squeezing it fresh (they dont keep for long), you will be rewarded with a nice cup of fresh orange juice!

Instant Coffee is coffee flavoured water designed to be palatable to the masses. Supermarket coffee made in a french press, drip maker, percolator, or pressurized filter basket is made by using hot water to extract flavour from the groudns. Espresso is made by using high pressure and the right temperature to extract the most flavour out of fresh beans using the least fluid.

They arent the same. But instant coffee is awfully convienient, and is acceptable to most people. Brewed supermarket coffee will never taste like espresso, but it is at least brewed from coffee grounds. Espresso is a bit of a hassle to make, but if you have good beans (that arent stale!!!) and are willing to put some effort into learning how to dose-level-tamp-extract (consistency is key!), you will be rewarded with a nice cup of coffee.

Re: Is instant coffee really that bad?

ezralimm.

You like it, thats fine.

I dont like it and I see no need to force what I regard as an inferior product down my neck. To answer the title of the post - YEP! Compared with what I like to drink, it is.

Instant coffee is a different drink to brewed coffee.
    Brewed coffee is a different drink to Espresso based coffee.
    Syphon, filter, mypressi etc. all have variations.
    Not all coffee is created equally (and I dont mean the artifical sweetener).

By all means, you can drink what you want, just dont expect me to agree with your choices.

If its a choice between freshly squeezed orange juice and orange cordial, Ill have water. Its even more convenient.

Brett.

Comment

Because of the value-adding to make instant coffee, you have to wonder just what sort of coffee goes into instant, just to keep prices reasonable.

I reckon floor sweepings would also make their way into the batch. Cant waste a single bean.

Comment

blerrghhhh, i think youre comparing oranges to instant.

freeze dried robusta does not equal arabica, does not equal fresh, does not equal well made, does not have any meaning any longer....

if you like the taste, but in food in general and (specialty) coffee, it is often about keeping it simple, expressing more of the character of the (fresh,  quality) food.
        it might be simple to open a cordial bottle and water it down, but not simpler to make than picking and squeezing oranges when manufacturing, transport, marketing, etc is taken into account, and it should not be mistaken for real food

no one can manufacture a fresh orange with anything like real taste, nutrition value, locked up sunlight. good food is healthful and tasty, old food not so much.
        in coffee, fresh roasted contains many times the antioxidant levels of green tea, wine or chocolate, these volatile components rapidly oxidize and stale, leaving free radicals, so fresh roasted is really healthful, and old coffee is just as it tastes, poisonous...

if you squint your eyes (metaphorically) add a bucket of milk and mound of sugar, you may have something that you personally dont find offensive, try an instant short black

some food companies spend millions/billions yearly to reprocess waste products into food for the masses too, adding fake aromas and flavour to make it tasty, but its still garbage

Comment

Lol I agree.

Cordial is not freshly made orange juice.

Instant coffee is not fresh coffee brewed from freshly roasted beans.

There is no such thing as an "instant short black". Sadly there isnt a law to define what espresso is so everything probably passes as an espresso. Heck, you could probably sell coffee flavoured soda and call it espresso.

Comment

Even 100% Arabica instant coffee brings into question "What really goes into making instant?"

If youre drinking it simply for the convenience factor, you might want to try making batches of CP instead.  At least you know theres good quality going in.

Whod want a rubbish frozen pizza, when a freshly made one is infinitely better?

Comment

Originally posted by 6A54535862525B62495558627F585C533D0 link=1271378038/2#2 date=1271379728
              I reckon floor sweepings would also make their way into the batch.  Cant waste a single bean.
              I reckon youre right about that. If they didnt use floor sweepings Nescafe would only have 42 beans in every cup.  ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 506B6C7764766D030 link=1271378038/6#6 date=1271381159
                Originally posted by 6A54535862525B62495558627F585C533D0 link=1271378038/2#2 date=1271379728
                I reckon floor sweepings would also make their way into the batch.  Cant waste a single bean.
                I reckon youre right about that. If they didnt use floor sweepings Nescafe would only have 42 beans in every cup.  ;D ;D ;D
                Oh lmao.

I would hv guessed 43 beans went into a tin. But maybe im wrong.

Comment

I think you are right ezra but I dont really see the value in raising this point on a forum dedicated to people who love coffee. It would be like saying that dominos pizza is ok because it is easy on a forum dedicated to food lovers.

It is easy and quick and I do agree it is not what I define as coffee (too much processing) but it is a hot drink for the masses.

Comment

ezralimm are you a troll?

Comment

I dont buy into the convenience argument. When I have no access to decent coffee - I drink tea.

Luckily for tea, the convenient variety eg teabags doesnt suffer the same fate as its coffee counterpart.

So when Im stuck, all I need is hot water and a teabag.

Same with the comment above, if I cant have OJ Ill just drink water instead of orange cordial.

Comment

i had a double shot white 1 sugar blend 43 today.....

had to happen, needed to cure the headache.... lol

Comment

Originally posted by 4D4A41414A5B5B2F0 link=1271378038/10#10 date=1271388522
                          Luckily for tea, the convenient variety eg teabags doesnt suffer the same fate as its coffee counterpart.
                          I think youll find many tea snobs who would disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by 424550464B5D7B151D1D1D240 link=1271378038/12#12 date=1271391903
                            I think youll find many tea snobs who would disagree.
                            Good point.

But if you had to compare, as tea is a more robust product than coffee, tea copes much better with bags than coffee.

If you had the option, loose leaf tea tastes better than teabags - but the drop is not as marked as for coffee.

Comment

Well if it will make you feel better and less guilty, ezra, I drink instant coffee, too. Not really everyday, but I have to admit there are indeed lazy days or super busy days. And I do travel a lot, so sometimes instant coffee is the only choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X