Help me with my stubborn crème!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with my stubborn crème!

I have just started roasting my own beans (starter pack) with a bread maker and a heat gun reaching second crack in around 12 minutes resulting in a nice looking/tasty roast. The problem I have is the absence of decent crème, unless I tamp the living hell out of the grind causing my machine to struggle. I have had many commercial roasts before, that require minimal tamping to produce a thick rich honey like crème. What am I doing wrong? My burr grinder is at the finest setting.

Re: Help me with my stubborn crème!

Some beans create more crema than others. Which one were you roasting?

Comment

I have roasted the Peru Ceja de Selva Estate, Ethiopian Gambella Naturals and Harrar longberry, and the Brazil pulped naturals. I have even experimented with stopping the roast just prior the second crack with limited success.

Comment

What machine albad?

Comment

Originally posted by 633C243239323E373734343C303F510 link=1272164875/3#3 date=1272166265
          What machine albad?
          ya..

1: coffee machine = ?

2: grinder = ?

Comment

I have a Sunbeam EM6910, which has worked perfectly fine with crema before.

Comment

...........and a Delonghi burr grinder which has also been successful before.

Comment

Originally posted by 414C424144200 link=1272164875/6#6 date=1272166833
                Thatd be it then

Comment

Originally posted by 49444A494C280 link=1272164875/6#6 date=1272166833
                  Which one ?

The kg100 is really the bottom of the range.

With out knowing more...

I can only suggest it is the way your managing the beans post roast...

Some blends give little when fresh or STALE...

Would need to know more as to you roasting process and post roast management of the beans, including storage and how long / old are they at the time of grind and pulling a shot.

Comment

Why is that? I have used it many times before on commercially roasted beans with excellent results. Are the home roasted beens more difficult to grind?

Comment

You can mod the Delonghi http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.p...&mid=&ceid=166 but the best modification is a new grinder and give the other one to a Plunger user  

Your Home roasted beans depending on the actual bean may need a finer grind than those you have been getting commercially. At present I am using an Aussie MTE and it needs a much courser grind than the Genovese blend I was running. While a Yirg will be way different again.

Comment

I have been sampling the roasts at different stages and post roast I have been keeping them sealed and refrigerated. I must admit that the Gambella naturals crema improved slightly after a few days.

Comment

Refrigerated is EVIL for so many reasons. With your home roasts start trying them at 3-5 days and store them in one way valved bags stored in a dark cool cupboard.

Comment

Originally posted by 2126222D252F3A2A2D24430 link=1272164875/12#12 date=1272167693
                            Refrigerated is EVIL for so many reasons.
                            So true... Some may get away with it... But only under extreme conditions.

If they get any moisture in them... Then NO Crema unless ground really fine... Same treatment for stale beans.

PS. Crema does not always = Good coffee..

Comment

Does humidity during roasting create problems?

Comment

Working...
                              X